1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ VI missing Civs as well as highly desired new civs all Ranked. African Edition.

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by celticfury911, Sep 20, 2016.

?

Which African Civ would you most like to see

Poll closed Oct 20, 2016.
  1. Ethiopia

46.1%
  2. Carthage

58.6%
  3. Zululand

30.9%
  4. Ghana

19.1%
  5. Yoruban Empire

8.6%
  6. Great Zimbabwe Empire

13.8%
  7. Songhai

13.2%
  8. Mali

47.4%
  9. Kingdom of Merina

7.9%
  10. Mossi Kingdoms

7.2%
  11. Arabia divided into Caliphates. Fatimid,Rashidun,Umayyad,Abyssian,Cordoban,Almohad,Sokoto

2.6%
  12. Morocco

28.3%
  13. Mutapa

6.6%
  14. Axum

11.8%
  15. Other please Specify in Comments.

11.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. celticfury911

celticfury911 Chieftain

Missing Civs from Civ VI by Region and in order of importance.

Africa:

1.) Carthage. Carthage was one of the greatest world powers in it's time and had a very modern and unique style of government for it's time. Carthage also had one of the greatest leaders of all time in Hannibal. Their play style would be very fun and highly balanced as it has been in Civ 4-5. P.S. I know they existed in southern Europe as well but they were based primarily in north Africa.

2.) Mali: Mali is one of the more distinctly African civilizations that became great on their own. Mali has been renowned as a nation and people of warriors. Mansa Musa was one of the more enjoyable leaders from Civ IV. I think Mali would play well with a faith based game given their history. Most importantly Mali was financially dominant something less common in many African Civs.

3.) Ethiopia: Ethiopia would be a fantastic defensive and faith based Civ. Ethiopia would be a great founding Civ for Oriental Orthodoxy if Firaxis has the foresight to include it. Ethiopia has successfully repelled European invaders especially Italy. Ethiopia has had many great leaders in different eras of history. They are like that one tank player that is just never worth going through. In essence they are a rock :). It would also not hurt my feelings if Firaxis included them but as Axum if they wanted to better represent a different era either way Ethiopia or Axum should be in.

4.) Zuluand: The elephant in the room I suppose or perhaps the stolen cow.:crazyeye:
    The Zulu were an outright brutal warrior folk who gave not 1 but 2 superior armed european powers a run for there money. The English and the Boers. I realize the Boers became "African" but at their core were European. The Zulus have in every Civ game to date one of the top 5 early game military strategies. Also the sheer joy of playing as Shaka and naming my religion Shakanity is amazing. Where are our African friends from the south?

5.) Songhai: The Songhai are either viewed as highly overrated or underrated by gamers. Thus they are a successful Civ for the franchise. Anything or Anyone that is loved and hated is a good design. The Songhai are enjoyable because their passive from 5 could either be amazing or terrible and the gamble was exciting. Above and beyond that the Songhai could excel in certain terrains. Personally I would love to see a return of the Songhai.

6.) Morocco: I have Morocco as last but I do appreciate them. Morocco is a healthy addition to Civ. They are a balancing Civ in many ways. They force a faith based game many times whilst trading with most anyone. This paves the way for many alliances usually those not containing warmongers who would punish the usually peaceful Moroccans.

These are the 6 missing Civs from Africa that Firaxis taught us to love before cruelly taking them from us. On a topical side note when a game be it a fighter such as Tekken or a RTS like Starcraft or even a Moba like LOL or TBS like Civ takes away a character or playable Race/Civ it is one of the most rotten feelings in all of gaming. For example I played Tekken competitively and lost Wang Jinrei in the transition from Tekken 2 to 3. So take note Firaxis please don't make the Babylon and the Austria and the Zululand mains cry please.

Onto Civs that would be newcomers to join the much anticipated Kongolese as well as the Ancient Egyptians to represent Africa in Civ VI.

1.) The Yoruba: One of the scariest people ever to live in Africa. According to a friend of mine from Cote de Ivoire the very land became poisoned by some of the practices used by the Yoruba. The Yoruba are the ancestors of most of modern day Benin and some of the surrounding nations. There are semi-modern tales of practitioners of Yoruban magic becoming invulnerable even to bullets.

2.) Great Zimbabwe/Mutapa: Great Zimbabwe and their eventual successors the Mutapa are an amazing example of how far a region could come if left unmolested by foreign chicanery. Great Zimbabwe and Mutapa had a diverse and successful civilization that was near inpenetrable militarily and economically. Alas the Portugese pulled the old trick Spain used on Azteca and manipulated internal strife using the different ethnicities and tribes that this Empire was composed of.

3.) Ghana: Ghana had gold Ghana had power and a strong economy. Yet another worthy West African Civ that could be included in the game. I would be all for Ghana in the game. They have proven throughout their history to be quite important in ancient as well as in modern times. This is of course for starkly different reasons but hey that's ok.

4.) Mossi Kingdoms: The Mossi Kingdoms achieved a similiar parallel to what the ancient Celts of Europe achieved. They resisted a Religion of the book and maintained their indigenous African Shamanistic and Animist beliefs while excepting Islam to an extent. The Mossi were also quite militarily adept much like the Celts. All in all the Mossi people survived when statistically they might not should have.

5.) Kingdom of Imerina: Austronesian representation. In all seriousness though the amount of languages and cultures as well as population growth that the kingdom had to deal was astounding. They even integrated Bantu and Asiatic as well as Arabic immigrants. Imerina would be fun and flavorful. I would love to see some early game jungle bonuses and pre-copper age unique units.

6.) I for one would love to See Arabia done away with and replaced by each dominant Caliphate of it's time. These Great Caliphates all were impressive empires in their own rights and deserve recognition.

From the primarily Middle Eastern Rashidun Caliphate with Abu Bakr
    to the more North African focused Umayyad Caliphate.
    The Abbasid Caliphate and Maghreb Empire as well as the Fatimid and Cordoban Caliphates deserve inclusion as well. It is strange to me to have as many similiar primarily christian romance language speaking european empires as we have and to not have the same level of diversity amongst the Arabic and African peoples. Especially when in many cases these Empires, Kingdoms, and Caliphates had higher peaks of power Financially, Religiously, and Territorially. This would pave the way for Civ to Add a better list of Religions. These could include subdivisions of Islam as we have for Christianity in game as well as African Shamanism and a whole slew of Polytheistic Pagan religions from Hellenic Paganism to Forn Sior and Celtic Druidry in additon to Yoruban Itan and Carthagenian Canaanism. Not having a religion to accurately represent any Civ in the game is highly disappointing to me. If you have Greece you need Hellenism if you have The Celts you need Druidry if you have Scythia you need Sairmaism if you have Sumeria/Babylon/Akkasia you need Chaldeanism. It is semi-cowardly of Firaxis to dis-include such obvious necessities as religions to match each Civ. Where is Amatongo for Zululand it makes no sense for Shaka to prefer Protestantism because behold he did not. This is all for now all constructive comments and criticism are welcome. New ideas and enhancing ideas are welcomed even more. Open discussion and respectful open-minded thoughts and opinions are welcomed the most.

2. Bufus

Bufus Chieftain

The Netherlands

3. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Other: Ashanti

4. jimbobduggar

jimbobduggar Chieftain

I miss the zulu not being in the game.

5. Willie5000

Willie5000 Chieftain

I wouldn't worry too much about Carthage or Ethiopia... Their presence in expansion packs is almost a given at this point.

6. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

A few I would not like

Carthage: better as Phonecia and have a Carthaginian leader...this allows them to be more than "civ defeated by Rome"

Arabian caliphates: better represented by
    -unified Arabia
    -civs from that region (Egypt, Morocco that predated/outlasted a particular political organization)

Zulu: With the Mutapa, there is a southern African power with more than just "imperialist speed bump". I wouldn't mind the Zulu, but only after the Mutapa or a similar Southern African power. (As well as Ethiopia and a West African power)

7. AliasMittens

AliasMittens Chieftain

I hope Ethiopia (possibly with an Aksumite leader - Ezana for instance - rather than ever adding Aksum as a separate Civ), Mali (bringing back Mansa Musa), Morocco (new leader?), and Carthage (under Hamilcar Barca) all return; the Zulu will probably be in at some point too, and I'm fine with that (it could be cool to incorporate a bit more of their colonial and contemporary history into their mechanics this time).

Mali kind of nudges out Songhai, but I'd love to see Imerina and Mutapa (or Great Zimbabwe), and some Mossi representation as a city state.

Under "Other"; Asante and Dahomey are interesting choices with potential late-mid game strengths. Dahomey in particular has an awesome potential unique unit. Oyo, Benin, Nri, Ife, and Bonny/Calabar could all be interesting city states, the first three or four having full Civ potential in their own rights. A Hausa civilization would also be a welcome addition, perhaps under Queen Amina or as Usman dan Fodio's Sokoto Caliphate (which could have uniques representing the Fulani culture as well). Kanem or Bornu would fill a gap in the Sahara - if Morocco doesn't return they could easily fill its sort of niche. They could work as city states as well.
    A Swahili civilization could be interesting, but it may be represented better as multiple city states (the addition of Kilwa and Mombasa or something)... A city state representing Buganda or another Great Lake kingdom would fill another gap... Dakar and/or Monrovia have good city state potential as well. Actually, Liberia as a Civ would be unexpected but potentially awesome!

And last, but the "other" civilization I want most: Nubia - preferably under an iteration of Kush or Meroë.

8. celticfury911

celticfury911 Chieftain

Great comments guys and gals. Bufus I assume you mean the Boer Republic when you say Netherlands. I would be happy with that. they would make an interesting addition for sure.

9. celticfury911

celticfury911 Chieftain

Also Carthage did far far more than be defeated by Rome. In all honestly they allowed their government to bog things down and defeat themselves. As Hannibal had his way with Rome.

10. stealth_nsk

stealth_nsk Deity

IMHO, Carthage is better portrayed as a city-state. As a civ it probably will be added later, but hope not to soon. Also I really hope it would be not as lame as in Civ5. It was my least favorite civ design.

Zulu will probably come at some point as they are part of Civ tradition.

For the rest - I just don't care. If they will be - that's ok. If not - that's ok to. I never play TSL.

11. Slayan

Slayan Warlord

not getting my panties in a bunch about what Civs didn't make it in the base game. I'm sure they will flush out the globe with DCL's

12. Haig

Haig Deity

Surprised at the popularity of Carthage! Didn't vote for them though..

13. Gedemo

Gedemo Cacique

Nubia, Kanem-Bornu, Maasai and Nok

14. killmeplease

killmeplease Mk Z on Steam

missing mansa musa

15. Moriboe

Moriboe King

I'd like Ethiopia most, but without Haile Selassie.

Mutapa as the decendants of Great Zimbabwe, which could (hopefully) also keep the Zulu out of the game. For a militaristic African civ the Benin empire could replace them.

Kanem-Bornu is interesting too.

16. UnknownHuman

UnknownHuman Chieftain

Nubia/Kingdom of Kush is missing, they’re among the newcomers I want to see. I also want to see the Hausa Kingdom.
    Otherwise I voted for Carthage, Morocco, Mutapa, Ethiopia, and Mali.

17. Manifold

Manifold ModderProtectionAdvocate

What is about the regnum Vandalorum et Alanorum (with capital Hunerikopolis)? Their time in Tunisia, Algeria Libya,... lasted for over 100 years.

18. Gedemo

Gedemo Cacique

If there is a little chance that the devs look at this poll, don't vote for Carthage, mali/songhai or Zulu: we all know that they'll be included sooner or later.

Do you really want the same civs than civ 4 and civ 5? We know that the devs put only a few african civ spots, so are we stuck with Zulus forever?

Please vote for new comers, and don't be afraid, you still have Shaka at the end (like Gandhi or Monti, having Shaka is a tradition now)!

19. nunor

nunor King

Angola, so that we can have Ana Nzinga.

20. Olleus

Olleus Deity

Can I just say, I really dont want Carthage? And this is coming as a massive classical history nerd. My main reasons are:

1) Civ is always ancient civs heavy, which reinforces the early game bias that is always present. The early game is fun enough as it is, having more going on in later eras is a higher priority.

2) The only reason people know about the civ, and the vast majority of their history that has survived, is that they thought Rome twice and lost. That's a bit too much of a one trick pony in my books.

3) Being a Phoenician colony, Carthage was all about being sea faring and trading. I think that niche has already been taken by England.