Civ VI missing Civs as well as highly desired new civs all Ranked. African Edition.

Which African Civ would you most like to see

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Where are my cosmpolitan Ashanti? Where are the democratic and smart Igbo? T_T

I prefer Phoenicians over Carthage alone (just for diversity).

I prefer something else than Zulu for South Africa.

I would add under other: Ashanti (reasons already named) and a "Swahili" amalgam civ of East African Coastal traders.

Based on past instalments the series, it's a very good bet that we will eventually get Carthage, Ethiopia and the Zulu.

Personally, the ones I really want to see included are:

Ethiopia/Aksum - the cradle of humanity, home to ancient civilisations, and uniquely successful in fighting off European invaders in the 19th century. A no-brainer civ inclusion. An Aksumite ruler would be an interesting new choice, as would Menelik II as a modern ruler focussed on repelling invaders. Or we could see a return to Civ IV's Zara Yaqob or the iconic Haile Selassie. Could be bundled with a Churches of Lalibela Wonder.

Mali - the trans-Saharan trade route was of such importance, and the people who controlled it would form the basis of a solid desert and river based mercantile civ that is seen as a source of wealth to its trading partners (as a counterpart to Egypt's breadbasket). In a game based around personalities, I don't think they can miss out on Musa I, who was so rich that his acts of generosity en route to the Hajj allegedly devastated the local economies of the places he stopped off at. He would make a great wealth and faith-based leader. There is also Sundiata Keita, who inspired the eponymous epic. Their DLC could also bring back the University of Sankoré. While I favour Mali, they could reprise Civ V's Songhai, who succeeded them as the regional power, or for a new choice, they could go for the older Empire of Ghana.

Zulu - people will roll their eyes, but the Zulu are a civ tradition I really like. Shaka would be a great character to join the Civ VI cast, and the Zulu exemplify the zergling civ of fast, mass-produced early combat units to overwhelm their neighbours. Civ VI's district mechanics is perfect for their Ikhanda to replace the Encampment, and Impi should replace spearmen as highly mobile melee units that lose their bonus against horses, but make up for it in number and flanking bonuses.

Aside from those three, it would be good to see Carthage and Morocco return (perhaps with one of the Berber dynasties, the Almoravids or the Almohads). Another first for the series would be Benin, or the Asante. I also liked the interesting Civ V mod that added the Kilwa sultanate as a coastal trading power.

So far I am learning that people either Love or Highly dislike Carthage. I have learned that many folks have had to much Shaka Zulu. I have learned that I may have been wrong with my Arabic splintering idea. Most importantly people want new and diverse civs but nobody wants to sacrifice their olde civs to get them. I will be doing another continent/region soon. I look forward to the staggeringly informative feedback! I am so glad that people are pointing at Civs I have failed to list and are then backing up why they deserve in shouts out to the Hausa supporters as well as the Kanem-Bornu, Nubians, Maasai, and Nok.

2) The only reason people know about the civ, and the vast majority of their history that has survived, is that they thought Rome twice and lost. That's a bit too much of a one trick pony in my books.

I'd personally prefer to see Phoenicia rather than Carthage, but that's seriously underselling Carthage's accomplishments: they had a flourishing literature (of which, sadly, very little has survived--Rome was quite thorough), they explored the Atlantic coast of Africa, they had an extensive network of colonies of their own independent from Phoenicia, and before Rome they controlled the Mediterranean (which is, after all, what the Punic Wars were all about).

African civs I'd most like to see in the future are Ethiopia and Nubia.

Mutapa and Great Zimbabwe are basically the same civ. And I assumed Ghana was supposed to be Ashanti, but then remembered there was a Ghana Empire, woops!

For others:
Benin Kingdom (not to be confused with modern day Benin)
Dahomey (of Female Amazons fame)
Nubia (great choices for female leaders)

Moderator Action: Moved to Ideas & Suggestions

I voted for Ethiopia, Mali AND Songhai (just so Askia the Great can have some descent representation, not the scary Muslim black man stereotype he was in Civ 5)
And for other Nubia/Kush and the Swahili city states would be cool.

Why have more people voted Great Zimbabwe than Mutapa? Mutapa was the successor to great Zimbabwe, and under Matope Nyanhehwe Nebedza (Also reffered to as Mwenemutapa Matope), it became a large empire:

Spoiler :

As a novel civ I'd like to see the Berbers under Dihya/Kahina:

Spoiler :

I think the Nubians under a ruler such as Piye would be a good addition:

Spoiler :

As would Kanem-Bornu, with Idris Alooma being a good candidate for leader:

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

A Hausa civ under Amina of Zazzau would be nice.

Spoiler :

I voted for Ethiopia, Mali AND Songhai (just so Askia the Great can have some descent representation, not the scary Muslim black man stereotype he was in Civ 5)
And for other Nubia/Kush and the Swahili city states would be cool.

I'd personally rather see Mali or Songhai.

I think the only point against Ethiopia is there proximity to Egypt relative to other powers. Otherwise, they have every reason to be top priority to add more representation for the Continent with their rich and we'll documented history. I'm actually pretty surprised they didn't make the cut in 6 vanilla. I'd like to see them replace Brazil.

Personally I love Carthage though, and can't wait until they are included.

Mali and great Zimbabwe would make interesting new expansion civs

I have several problems with this poll.
- Why Arabian caliphates are listed as "African civilisations", they were based heavily on Middle East both regarding culture and power, and mostly had capitals here?
- Why Mutapa is listed separatedly from Zimbabwe, as they were very close to each other (successor states of the same culture in the same area) and in game with Germany having Barbarossa, Hansa and Uboot it is basically certain they'd be fued into one "Zimbabwe" civ
- Why Axum is listed separatedly from Ethiopia - same as above, especially as Axum and Ethiopia has been treated as one civ for the entire series
- What on Earth is Yoruban empire. I know and respect Yoruban culture but as far as I know there was no "Yoruban empire" to speak of.
- Why several major civilisations, among few of most important for the continent, are missing: Swahilli/Kilwa (biggest trade power in Africa), Songhai (biggest empire in African history), Kanem Bornu (almost the oldest state in Subsaharan Africa), Ashanti, Dahomey, Benin, Hausa, Nubia, Berbers?

I'm sorry but the poll is very incomplete, lacking not some obscure second hand choices but some of the most important African civilisations. Personally I voted for Mali but I can't vote for Swahilli or Ashanti as I wanted, and they were very significant cultures.
---
Other than Mali/Swahilli/Ashanti I expect Ethiopia and Carthago to return, and hope Morocco returns as Moors/Maghreb is very major historical cultural circle. What I'd gladly see not appearing is:
- Zimbabwe. I honestly think architectural wonder represents them enough. We know very little of them and they weren't that distinctive to be basic for truly unique gameplay. They'd end up as fairly generic civ with some land trade bonus and generic "black infantry" unit (we really don't know much about them).
- Nubia. Much better documented than Zimbabwe but I think they are less unique or interesting from many other Subsaharan civs. They are too close culturally and geographically to both Egypt and Ethiopia.
- Zulu. Sweet God, Zulu. To this day I don't understand why they are in this series at all, and especially how this primitive tribe could represent Africans instead of Ethiopia prior to civ4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdmSm5Al2qg

Worst empire ever :p

Yoruban Empire is the Oyo Empire.

What I like about Nubia is that it offers potential female leaders for the game. And its not just a second rate Egypt. Still surprised Firaxis has never added them to the game. And they shared little cultural similarity with Ethiopia.

Well most of these Caliphates extended into Africa. Krajzen you may vote for anything you wish your swahili and ashanti votes are heard and shall show up once the poll concludes.

Top Bottom