1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ VI music - an original score

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Eagle Pursuit, May 17, 2016.

1. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

2. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Deity

That good news. I feel like civ6 will definitely earn the title of a triple A game.

3. True_Candyman

True_Candyman Emperor

Potential. Civ V vanilla theme song is for me one of the most iconic and thematic game tunes I've heard. G&K and BNW themes I thought were disappointing as follow ons

I have high hopes

4. darko82

darko82 Emperor

They run out of classic tunes :lol: Hopefully, it will be rich and deep in sound. Civ 4 soundtrack is awesome, but it lacks some deepness that can be found in Civ 5.

Though, Civ 5 music is dynamic to the point it gets disturbing at some moments. It is violent and aggresive, especially Europe and diplomatic themes.

BTW, even the soundtrack sounds more realistic in Civ V.

5. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

The music in Beyond Earth was great, by far the best thing about it.

6. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

Civ 5? Really? That theme was unbearable compared to Babe Yetu in civ 4 or even God and Kings. The G&K theme was the best of the three tunes.

My distaste for the Civ 5 theme may have something to do with how repetitive it became when loading games.

7. dexters

dexters Gods & Emperors Supporter

Yeah God and Kings was amazing. One of the best intros too.

8. m15a

m15a Emperor

Good news, IMO. I prefer original (or primarily original) soundtracks since the music can be better designed to fit the game, especially the kind that evolves over the course of the game.

And it means more paid work for composers, and just more new music I haven't heard. I consider that a plus.

9. True_Candyman

True_Candyman Emperor

I know right? I have a strange taste. But I always got a sense of grandeur and identity in the vanilla theme that made it stand out as something different. I've only started playing civ with number 5 though, so vanilla theme does have a special nostalgic feeling for me.

Either way that's all the more reason to think this is grey or number 6 in my book :D

10. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

I think this is good and bad. They did a really excellent job with BE in particular, but I did quite like the selection of pieces in Civ4. It's hard to beat Mozart.

11. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

Excellent. In Civ5 I refuse to play as a European civ because the European music is so obnoxious. BE and its expansion, as well as GalCiv III (also done by Griffin Cohen and Geoff Knorr), have fantastic music, so knowing they'll be doing original compositions is quite reassuring. If they happened to invite Christopher Tin to do the main theme, however, or even licensed one of his older pieces like "Kia Hora Te Marino" or "Iza Ngomso," I wouldn't object. ;)

12. m15a

m15a Emperor

13. dexters

dexters Gods & Emperors Supporter

Interesting no one yet has given credit to the masterful selection of ethnic folk tunes in Civ5.

Things like Li Ling Shi Han or Phos Hilaron were definately recomposed for Civ5 by the sound team. They are orchestral and not at all like the videos of their original folk versions I could find on youtube

14. cakes

cakes Prince

yeah the non-western music in ciV was good. i hope they strike a balance with music that doesn't sound too european or too appropriative but i imagine that is a hard thing to do. electronic score?

15. Jon Shafer

Jon Shafer Civilization 5 Designer

Much of the ethnic music in Civ 5 was compose by Geoff Knorr. An absolutely brilliant composer.

- Jon

16. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

I blame it on the ridiculous glitch that was never fixed until BNW.

Especially during war time, which still hasn't been fixed.

17. Dark_Jedi06

Dark_Jedi06 "Deus ex Machina."

I loved the ethnically diverse music in Civ V...declaring war as Austria always gives me chills. Of course every iteration of Civ has had great music, I remember some real gems from Civ III. I expect Civ VI won't disappoint in this regard. :D

18. Red Menace

Red Menace Prepare to be Menaced

This should be good, Civilization has always had really great music (at least IV and V) one of the things I look forward to in Civ is the music. a good game is only made great by the music.

19. bite

bite Unoffical Civilization Geographer Moderator

Firaxis has been getting really good with their soundtracks lately, so I am quite interested in this

20. AriochIV

AriochIV Analyst