Civ VI on Steam Deck?

The trackpads are a lot more precise than a thumbstick, so you don't really need to slowly use the arrow keys to move through menus.

Please don't take it personally. :)

The SteamDeck has thumb sticks. (But also trackpads).

Navigating menus with controller arrow keys (in the console UI) is not slow at all. It's just like using the arrow keys to navigate menus in Windows 10.
So it's much faster than mouse + keyboard IMO.

It is slow when using a console controller on a Steam desktop. Yes, it's slow as hell!
That's why I ask about a "console mode" for Civ VI on SteamOS.

I hope for 2K/Firaxis + Aspyr to ship a SteamOS version of Civ VI with a "console mode" so the SteamDeck can play it like the Switch, PS4, XBox, etc. rather than the full blown desktop UI.

(Ultimately I think if it plays HUMANKIND decently I would be sold).

So is Civ VI verified or playable on Steam Deck?

Every single game in your steam library (that does not exceed the hardware requirements of the SteamDeck) are automatically and instantly playable on the SteamDeck. That's the whole point of the system.

Whether or not it will be a pleasant experience on an awkward control scheme is yet to be seen. Surely, some developers will add "steamDeck" profiles for their configuration options in the future.

@comatosedragon I think you miss the point of Valve's "Deck Verified" program.

It seems I'm not the only person who wants to know how well games will play on the Steam Deck. As a result they launched the Deck Verified program. IMO a great move on Valve's part. Games will have degrees of compatibility. And actually not every game in your Steam library will run on the Deck. There are DRM libs and such like which haven't been ported yet apparently.

I have found out recently (on Twitter) that HUMANKIND runs on the Deck. TBH Civ VI already has a portable gaming port (Nintendo Switch) so full Steam Deck isn't quite so necessary anymore especially as Nintendo is releasing new hardware like the OLED edition and maybe more in the future.

By those standards it looks like Civ VI will get a "playable" badge instead of "verified". I just don't see any way it would be comfortable to play using steam deck controls without a patch.

Also it is highly unlikely that the developers would spend money to release controller support for pc. That would only draw people like me to buy a steam deck not steam deck owners who doesn't play civ to buy a civ game.

By those standards it looks like Civ VI will get a "playable" badge instead of "verified". I just don't see any way it would be comfortable to play using steam deck controls without a patch.
Also it is highly unlikely that the developers would spend money to release controller support for pc. That would only draw people like me to buy a steam deck not steam deck owners who doesn't play civ to buy a civ game.

Though one has to ask why would any developer invest more in a game to make it "Deck Verified"? The Deck Verified program only seems to benefit Valve. I wonder if Valve thought this through. :confused:

Though one has to ask why would any developer invest more in a game to make it "Deck Verified"? The Deck Verified program only seems to benefit Valve. I wonder if Valve thought this through. :confused:
People would be more likely to buy their game. Still, not a huge draw I see that as being more beneficial for new games than old ones, and new ones have their own problems with the SD. Civ 6 is very unlikely to benefit much from having the badge.

Nah since most modern games actually support controllers I'm sure most people will see a huge chunk of their steam library with a "verified" badge. That will make buying the steam deck more appealing. So most of the times it will work for valves favour.

BTW I think Civ V might actually get a verified badge.

Side story here: I play a lot of on my convertible laptop. So one day I was feeling like playing some Civ V but I didn't have a mouse lying around so I was stuck with the touchpad. Suddenly I noticed I was using the touch screen more and more. Before you know it I flipped the laptop on presentation mode ditching the keyboard and touchpad all together. I had totally forgotten how well crafted the civ V touchscreen controls were. It's beautiful, useful and intuitive.
I don't understand how the developers can botch the civ VI touch controls so bad after nailing it so well in civ V, it's like they had amnesia when designing them.

So yeah since steam deck has a touch screen, civ V with it's excellent touch support might just get a "verified" badge.

I don't understand how the developers can botch the civ VI touch controls so bad after nailing it so well in civ V, it's like they had amnesia when designing them.

You are touching on an aside: Civ V was "peak" civ IMO. :)

---

I don't use the touch UI much if at all on the Nintendo Switch preferring to use the controllers, so I cannot comment. It seems like there are people playing it on iPads and such like so it can't be all that bad.
However, I have to say Civ VI's controller support on the Switch is amazing!

My guess is Firaxis+2K got help from Nintendo, given that it was an exclusive for an entire year. (Or it could be a coincidence that Civ VI came out for the PS4 and Xbox exactly a year later). More likely there was a 1 yr exclusivity clause in a contract with Nintendo.

Valve could do something similar, and put up the funds for the work to get Firaxis+2K to make Civ VI "Deck Verified"? IDK

I have CIV 6 on PC, PS5, ANDROID and now I can play on steamdeck.

STEAMDECK+CIV6=IT SUCKS, UNPLAYABLE WITH FUN, DONT WORTH TO INSTALL

On Android works perfectly, big graphics interface, touch interface etc... (I played o 1440p, i have mi 11 phone) works perfectly
PS4 - work perfectly on small map, nice play on pad
PC - ok

Steamdeck+Civ sucks, trust me

I have CIV 6 on PC, PS5, ANDROID and now I can play on steamdeck.
STEAMDECK+CIV6=IT SUCKS, UNPLAYABLE WITH FUN, DONT WORTH TO INSTALL...Steamdeck+Civ sucks, trust me

Yeah, this is what I figured.

Full desktop interface on SteamDeck would suck.

On the Nintendo Switch, Civ VI is pretty damn amazing, cos of the console UI and touch interface to lean back on.
If it was as powerful as my gaming rig, it would be my preference to play (single-player) on the Switch. :)

One not fun think is that on android there is no season pass, only gathering storm and rise and fall

On the Nintendo Switch, Civ VI is pretty damn amazing, cos of the console UI and touch interface to lean back on.
If it was as powerful as my gaming rig, it would be my preference to play (single-player) on the Switch. :)
Gotta say, either you've found a fix and I REALLY want to know how, there's been a major patch or we've got very different ideas on the definition of "amazing". It has some serious problems on the Switch, and the problem with the governor screen makes it almost unplayable handheld. Or is it on the big screen? I can't remember. You have to switch modes to be able to make the selection at any rate.

If Aspyr had done a decent job of porting it, I'd agree that it was the best format. Instead, I was tempted to buy the humble bundle just so I could play it properly, until I decided that I didn't want to give any more money until they actually fix things.

It has some serious problems on the Switch, and the problem with the governor screen makes it almost unplayable handheld. Or is it on the big screen? I can't remember. You have to switch modes to be able to make the selection at any rate.

What Governor problem?

TBH though, in the last year I play Civ VI mostly on my new gaming rig.
Switch play when I'm on the go.

But prior to that I pretty much only played on the Switch for more than a year.

I have to say though, by the time we got to NFP performance became very sluggish (compared to when Civ VI shipped first on the Switch).

Last edited:
What Governor problem
When you want to select a new city for your governor, the list often won't scroll. As a result, if the city you want isn't in the top 3 on the list, you can't see when the cursor is on it to select it. You have to blindly scroll and select. You can switch console mode to get around it. I think if you use the touch screen, you can force the list to scroll. That's a pain because if you're using the TV screen, it means unlocking it, selecting the right city, then docking it again...a pain.

It's just a right pain that you can't really use the Switch in one of its modes.

Top Bottom