Civ VI patch - Red Shell removed and cross-platform PC/Mac added

WorldWarIV

Captain
A new patch just got out. They have removed the Red Shell problem.

Here are the patch notes:

[MULTIPLAYER]
  • Added cross-platform multiplayer functionality for PC and Mac
  • PC users will require ver. 1.0.0.262 (362541)
  • Mac users will require ver. 1.0.0.262 (164403)
[MISC]
  • Removed Red Shell

https://steamcommunity.com/games/289070/announcements/detail/1671283521939809101

A new update (ver. 1.0.0.262) is available for Sid Meier’s Civilization VI today. This update will automatically install when starting the Steam client; if it doesn’t install automatically, please restart Steam.

Firaxis Games and 2K are committed to making Civilization VI the best experience possible and will continue to support the title. If you have any feedback on this update or just the game in general, please let us know in the Steam forums or comment below. Stay Civilized!

[MULTIPLAYER]
  • Added cross-platform multiplayer functionality for PC and Mac
  • PC users will require ver. 1.0.0.262 (362541)
  • Mac users will require ver. 1.0.0.262 (164403)
[MISC]
  • Removed Red Shell

You can erase my post for more clarity if you want and just leave leandrombraz post, I'm not really good at these things anyway.

I am mostly surprised about x-platform MP. That they had to remove that red shell idiocy was just a matter of time.

You can erase my post for more clarity if you want and just leave leandrombraz post, I'm not really good at these things anyway.
I think it's more fitting from you, since this is a hell of a bomb to randomly drop. Merely four bullet points but they leave a hell of an impact.

If only they'd hit during the sale a few weeks ago! Ah well.

Yeah, red shell is a spyware. A third party spyware used to keep track of you game shopping habits and your system that you used them on. Very ugly to install this in the first place and also very stupid after the EU GDPR law since I have a hard time that such a spyware would be allowed within EU under these circumstances.

Why did it take almost two years to find out about Red Shell? I wish that had been mentioned in the first reviews. Would definitely have prevented me from buying the game.

No more day one Firaxis purchases for me.

I've been trying to find games in MP with Mac users, but alas none so far...

sad Panda :(

EDIT: Well, I did finally find a cross-platform match with two MAc users and 6 PC. The two MAc user disconnected at the exact same time around Turn 40, which makes me tend to believe it was some kind of glitch related to the patch. One of the Mac users said he had the same experience in a previous game, although much earlier.

Last edited:
But still no save/load configuration for a multiplayer game? :(

This has been in single player for a really long time. It can't be that hard to implement it for multiplayer games, can it?

Why did it take almost two years to find out about Red Shell? I wish that had been mentioned in the first reviews. Would definitely have prevented me from buying the game.

No more day one Firaxis purchases for me.
It's my understanding that it was just added recently, in one of the patches maybe just before R&F dropped. But I can't seem to find any definitive posts about it.

Top Bottom