1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ VI positivity

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Linklite, Oct 2, 2020.

1. Linklite

Linklite Prince

Inspired by some thoughts I had while responding to a thread - we often get into the trap of just criticising the game, rather than giving it credit where it's due.

So, what are the things you think Civ VI does right? What are the things that make it enjoyable? What are the things that draw you back to it? What are some of the things that must have been difficult to get right, but it got right anyway?

2. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

I think for the most part Gathering Storm made it from a good game into a great game. Not to say it wasn't good before but I've seen a lot more positive reactions after the second expansion was announced/released such as the named features, natural disasters etc.

Plus I feel like like civs are more unique than they have ever been. Even in Vanilla they were more unique than the ones in Civ 5 but lately they've taken even bigger risks when designing some civs.

I haven't really played any other iterations other than a little of Civ 5 and I enjoy this more.

Buthera and Jkchart like this.
  3. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

I think the Districts are a great idea and they work well. In most other elements, Civ VI is mostly the same as Civ V, which in my opinion is not a bad thing.

edit: in the expansions I also liked governors and the return of golden ages and dark ages, the floods and other disasters added in Gathering Storm, and the civilizations with asymmetrical play mechanics (Inca, Mali, Maori, Dido).

Last edited: Oct 2, 2020
  4. chazzycat

chazzycat Deity

well it's definitely got the best SimCity of any civ game. It's not even close. Districts are a game changer for that.

5. ehecatzin

ehecatzin Emperor

I agree, districts should be a feature that stays and gets polished on civ 7, the game is overall very good. My main gripes with the game are visual polish and pacing, which shouldnt be impossible to improve.

Alexander's Hetaroi likes this.
  6. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

I agree with the district system being positive and that sometimes the cities do look disjointed.
    I'm of the opinion that maybe there should be a whole separate layer of hexes within a city that are used for wonders/tiles, while the normal tiles are used for improvements.

7. ehecatzin

ehecatzin Emperor

Yeah the fact that cities both look cluttered and disjointed is my main gripe with the game, I fear that maybe only the patchy look could be fixed, wonders of different sized are for civ 7.

8housesofelixir likes this.
  8. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Deity

@AriochIV nailed most of my favorite things about the game: Districts and the "everything on the map" mechanics, asymmetrical Civs, Dark, Golden, and especially the new Dramatic Ages making for far more dynamic play.

Note that the 'District' system has been grabbed by the new Humankind game as well, with the addition that by requiring Districts to be for the most part contiguous their resulting cities avoid much of the disjointed appearance of Civ VI.

There's a lesson there, that Good Things in one game can be improved by their use in another game, and the Improvements 'borrowed back' and possibly improved again - like in Civ VII requiring a city to be contiguous, but making Adjacency bonuses dependent on the type of District and buildings in it rather than the terrain, so that Contiguous makes good game-play sense as well as better aesthetics on the map.

As much as I have complained about Civ VI, that fact remains that I play it more than all the other games on my computer combined and still find different things that can be done in developing a Civ, even Civs that have been in the game since the Vanilla edition.

Jkchart and 8housesofelixir like this.
  9. CoconutTank

CoconutTank Unapologetic Warmonger Supporter

My favoritest parts of Civ 6 are the bigger focus on the map, the government system with policy slots and governors. Districts and wonders having placement requirements makes a fun puzzle out of area control and tile management. The government system with policy slots is also puzzley for me, and though I have clear preferences for policies and governments, I've found each to be useful at some point. Governors wasn't really a big deal for me when they were released, but I liked the change-over they got in Gathering Storm and their trade-offs to also be interesting.

I do like that air fighters have some interaction with the map, which is a welcome change from how air units worked in civ 5. Would've been nice if their map presence could be more substantial though, such as being able to exert zone of control or have actual collision with land units and sea units.

10. Futumch

Futumch Calm as a Coma

I really like the steady creep of your borders, which gradually paint the whole map in your colours.
    I quite like the specific site requirements for some wonders, so it requires a bit of planning ahead when you site your cities. And yeah distrcits are a great addition and should be continued in future sequels.
    The coastal map tiles look wonderful too, especially the reefs.

EDIT: I know the omission of naming cities (on release) was an oversight, but I'm really pleased it was fixed in a timely manner. There's nothing quite like having a continent full of Zulu cities named after different french cheeses.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2020
    Banazir864 likes this.
  11. Haig

Haig Deity

My favorite game of all time (followed by Civs 4 and 5 actually).

I love how there is so much to do, to play a religious game, espionage game, diplomatic game, colonial game etc. etc.

Graphics and music are absolutely amazing.

I'm in no hurry for Civ 7, keep supporting Civ 6!

Chefofrats likes this.
  12. Chekko

Chekko Chieftain

I think the idea to build outside your city with districts and wonders was a great idea. I love the animations. I love the music. I love the acting. They really did everything much better in this game.

13. MrRadar

MrRadar Emperor

Unstacked cities with districts and wonders outside the city centre, with all the adjacencies in play – fantastic puzzle game.
    Unique Great People and unique City States – the best so far, very distinctive civs.
    Map relevance is the greatest so far as well.
    Wonder movies are back and directly on the map – to me, that's the best non-essential feature for the gameplay, but adding much to the mood.
    Leader animations most expressive and fun to watch. And the whole map art is a treat for the eye.
    Music building on the same theme and getting more complex as eras pass – great idea and execution.

Honourable mention: the addition of the Map Search feature to the UI - a lifesaver and a single best improvement ever :)

Banazir864 likes this.
  14. Starina

Starina Chieftain

I'll tell you what I'm delighted with in Civ 6:
    - Graphics. I am in love with graphics and game design. The card with dragons and octopuses instead of clouds is very fresh and pleasant!
    - Music. oooooh, just a great solution to complicate music from era to era! My favorites are the themes of the Middle Ages. Use local flavor and musical instruments
    - Вistricts and wonders on separate tiles. yes, yes)) there will certainly be an extension of this concept in Civ 7
    - civilizations have more features than before. You fall in love with some at first sight FirstLook. The game tells about something that I probably would never have known, although I am fond of history. Broadens the mind

Although there are bugs and shortcomings and just omissions (why do Mamluks improve into tanks ?! but what about kerasirs?) I love this game!

15. cain3456

cain3456 Prince

The loyalty system is absolute genius in my book. Solves the problem of forward settling and rewards building of infrastructure.

Chefofrats likes this.
  16. mitsho

mitsho Deity

I agree that districts are the way to go (... but they got it the wrong way around: You shouldn‘t put down a culture district, but the district where you put all the culture buildings should become the culture district)

I applaud them for having climate change/a changing map (... but it shouldn‘t be restricted to the late game and to rising sea levels - give me desertification and barbarian hordes because of that).

I also love Heurekas and what they are called in the Social Tree (... but I personally go further and think that should be the main avenue of research instead of a „science“ yield).

bbbt, kaspergm and Hakan-i Cihan like this.
  17. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

Nice to have a positive thread for once, but I'm afraid I won't be able to contribute a lot in it...

There is at least the map, it can be truly beautiful at some points (before it's cluttered with districts) and the night/day cycle is a very nice touch.

As for modding, the attachement system for units artdef is great and the modifier framework is powerful, but both still feel incomplete.

18. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

Love the combat system, The balance and choice in strategies, the loyalty system, the districts, the 1 wonder per tile. I am impressed the game can still have an OCC victory on deity.

acluewithout and Jkchart like this.
  19. The googles do nothing

The googles do nothing Prince

I personally find 1UPT very challenging and combined with varying map terrains makes every game play differently.

20. kaspergm

kaspergm Deity

That's actually a really good point. The fact that you put down a "culture district" or a "science district" without a single building in it - and even more so, that you get yields from it - is really nonsensical.

WorldWarIV, Kjimmet, mitsho and 3 others like this.