Civ VI Starting Year

hugojackson18

Warlord
Any idea what's the starting year in Civ VI? I always thought 4000 BCE was a bit early to start and we could have it start at least at 8000 BCE. Knowing that we found ruins of temples in Turkey built in 10000 BCE and abandoned in 8000 BCE, there's enough proof that civilizations were advanced enough around that time to actually make sense starting Civ games earlier. Knowing Agriculture started in 8000 BCE as well, it kinda makes sense.

I'd love to be able to have massive developed civilizations in some places of the earth while some other ones are still hunting mammoths to survive. That kind of dynamics could really work in Civ VI with so much focus put on Geographical importance from the map.

I used to like that mod in Civ V where you could start in the prehistoric era.

The game has never focused on pre-historic gameplay. It's speeded up, in fact. Diplomacy is limited and so on...

I don't expect this change at release, but I hope they will add this in an expansion. It also depends in how they interpret the word civilization.

I don't expect this change at release, but I hope they will add this in an expansion. It also depends in how they interpret the word civilization.

There was a fun stone-age mod for V that I used for a little bit. Unfortunately it wasn't extremely balanced and had some conflicts but it did prove that you could add an era before the game starts.

Interesting thread.

There is certainly more than enough evidence to support that the Agricultural Revolution, which is considered to be the origin of "Civilization" happened in some places much earlier than 4.000 BC

In fact, this makes me think of an alternative start to the Civilization game:

Everyone starts as hunter-gatherers (one unit, that cannot settle) researching agriculture (5-10 turns).
Agriculture allows settling your first city.

:think:

Interesting thread.

There is certainly more than enough evidence to support that the Agricultural Revolution, which is considered to be the origin of "Civilization" happened in some places much earlier than 4.000 BC

Everyone starts as hunter-gatherers (one unit, that cannot settle) researching agriculture (5-10 turns).

I had a similar ideas, when you start the game in an era before Ancient, you settle a "tribe" as opposed to a city, you have a limited radius of exploration, and you unlock certain things that help you with stuff, For example, building the Lascaux caves unlock a boost to your Culture and you get a heads up on the culture game.

Maybe built the Stonehenge or a Religious-like wonder that boosts your religious game.

You'd meet other tribes that are other minor civs and that you can either choose to destroy them, or they will settle as City States or something.

I would allow settlement but no builders and less food from grassland and floodplains (you are basically dependent on bonus resources to grow). Researching agriculture will add back the food for grasslands and floodplains and allow builders and farms.

Settling near a food resource (wheat, rice etc.) will give eureka towards agriculture.

I would allow settlement but no builders and less food from grassland and floodplains (you are basically dependent on bonus resources to grow). Researching agriculture will add back the food for grasslands and floodplains and allow builders and farms.

Settling near a food resource (wheat, rice etc.) will give eureka towards agriculture.
That's a good idea. Would make it interesting to use some of the food resources, but I think they should be a few techs before agriculture, like tools building or something like this. I don't know, I just find it interesting.

Although, do we already know the start year for Civ VI? I can't seem to remember seeing it

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Interesting thread.

This is a very neat idea. A non-permanent, movable village(there was some civ that could do that in civ 4 I think) you can move around for 20-40 turns would give a fresh game start. And an interesting one also.

Only if those techs add something interesting. Tools may give you slinger, so OK. Perhaps domestication will give the scout (that uses a dog in the animations) and can lead to animal husbandry. Perhaps also tech\civic for monument. But this sorts of stretching it enough for me.
Civ4 had hunting and fishing which are things many animals are capable of doing (I suppose fishing at least meant fishing with boats, so OK).

I'll watch the video when I get time. I suppose it will be 4000 in the main game. But well, Civ1 gave you irrigation, mining and roads as basic techs and a few other random techs. In a way it was more logical for a _civilization_ game.

That's a good idea. Would make it interesting to use some of the food resources, but I think they should be a few techs before agriculture, like tools building or something like this. I don't know, I just find it interesting.

Although, do we already know the start year for Civ VI? I can't seem to remember seeing it

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Sounds like you guys have the beginnings of a mod

I agree with changing the starting year. It's a new generation. I want a Civ 6--not another Civ 1-5.

"Civilization" refers to more than just having agriculture (~10,000 BC), or even cities. The concept is primarily used to refer to a level of social stratification across multiple sites which leads to state formation (usually in addition to having a certain level of technology). This didn't occur until ~4000 BC in the fertile crescent with Sumer and Egypt. Göbekli Tepe, which was built by hunter-gatherers, may date to ~9000 BC, but it's not evidence of state formation.

"Civilization" refers to more than just having agriculture (~10,000 BC), or even cities. The concept is primarily used to refer to a level of social stratification across multiple sites which leads to state formation (usually in addition to having a certain level of technology). This didn't occur until ~4000 BC in the fertile crescent with Sumer and Egypt. Göbekli Tepe, which was built by hunter-gatherers, may date to ~9000 BC, but it's not evidence of state formation.

+1

Any start date earlier than 4000BC would be ridiculous. Even 4000BC barely qualifies as I'm not sure if the following millenium there were any civilisations on the planet besides Egypt and Sumer (if yes, then were very few of them).

Also, I played this prehistoric mod for civ5 and it was terrible :p Regarding both immersion (cities without agriculture? cave painting "building"? city dwelling homo sapiens barely discovering FIRE?) and balance (nothing to do early on, extremely early exploration, absurd prehistoric rushes).

Civ should begin no earlier than 4000BC and not before the agriculture and city building. After all this is "civilization" themed game, not "tribe" or "evolution" game ;)

+1

Any start date earlier than 4000BC would be ridiculous. Even 4000BC barely qualifies as I'm not sure if the following millenium there were any civilisations on the planet besides Egypt and Sumer (if yes, then were very few of them).

Also, I played this prehistoric mod for civ5 and it was terrible :p Regarding both immersion (cities without agriculture? cave painting "building"? city dwelling homo sapiens barely discovering FIRE?) and balance (nothing to do early on, extremely early exploration, absurd prehistoric rushes).

Civ should begin no earlier than 4000BC and not before the agriculture and city building. After all this is "civilization" themed game, not "tribe" or "evolution" game ;)

Game could start at 10,000 b.c. and you build the pyramids with help from the Aliens. :lol:

Top Bottom