1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ VI turn processing times

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by krj38, Dec 28, 2017.

1. krj38

krj38 Chieftain

Hello! I'll maybe start with some background for my inquiry. It happened so that Civ VI is currently the only game I play regularly. I am generally happy with my old desktop, but I'm considering an upgrade if it were to bring improvement in my experience of the game and especially the downtimes between turns. From what I gather, the game relies heavily on the CPU, so that's the thing I would upgrade (and with it the motherboard and RAM).

My current specs:
    i5-2500
    GTX 960
    8GB RAM
    SSD drive
    Windows 7 64

I am totally okay with the FPS performance, what bothers me is the waiting time. I play exclusively in hot seat mode with my GF and the processing times in late game are a bit tiresome, from 40 to 80 seconds from my measurements (games with 7 to 9 AIs). The benchmark shows around 22 to 24 seconds per turn.

And now my two questions:

1. Do you think that I should upgrade my CPU for a better Civ experience?

2. Could you share your times and your hardware, both 'actual' and benchmark results?

2. Cagarustus

Cagarustus Prince

I bought a new pc to play civ VI but I would no means recommend you to do this unless you can afford it.

I’ve never played hot seat. Based on my SP experience, mods slow down the in-between turn time by a couple of seconds, which doesn’t seem like much but it can be. That’s why I try to limit the amount of mods I use.

My hardware is i7700k 2.8, 16gb ram, GeForce 1060 6gb. It runs very smoothly.

What I would recommend is not to, as I did, focus too much on the GPU and look at the CPU. I think 1060 is overkill; a 900 series gpu is sufficient.

Hope this helps.

3. TheSpaceCowboy

TheSpaceCowboy The Gangster of Love

My GTX 980 Ti runs Civilization VI with every setting turned to “Ultra” at a 3440x1440 resolution with no problem whatsoever, so you won’t benefit from a better graphics card than that per se, though I’d still recommend you go for the GTX 1080 just to future-proof for Far Cry 5 and Red Dead Redemption 2 later this year.

4. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

It seems to me that a lot of the turn "processing" time is actually waiting for unit movement animations that happen off-screen. In addition to being a huge waste of time, it also means that having a faster computer won't reduce the length of these animations.

Babri likes this.
  5. WileyWilson

WileyWilson Chieftain

OP. If you post your save file that you are getting 40-80 seconds on, I will do a benchmark for you.

My specs:
    i7-8700K o/c at 4.7Ghz
    16GB DDR4
    GTX 1070
    SSD
    Windows 10

6. Janskey

Janskey Prince

I did some benchmarks with each patch earlier. I stopped that because I forgot to take results before I installed a new rig, so there's nothing reasonable to compare to. The performance seemed mostly related to high clock speeds. I'm currently getting around 16 seconds in the AI benchmark with 4 cores at 4.8GHz.

7. liv

liv Emperor

hotseat is horribly slow at the end.