1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice

Civ VI won't start!

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Technical Support' started by Cyon, Oct 20, 2016.

1. Cyon

Cyon Cosmonaut

It should be unlocked now in Sweden, it is installed and all. I click on play, and for a second its says 'Running' next to the game in the game library, a popup appears that says 'preparing to launch Civilization VI' - but nothing starts, and the pop up and the 'running' text disappears.

I have tried to verify game file integrity and I have deleted local content and re downloaded the game, but it still does not work!

I did try to use a VPN earlier today with no succes, but I have uninstalled that now, so it shouldn't affect it.

Please help!

2. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

Moderator Action: Moved to Technical Support

3. Looms

Looms Chieftain

I have exactly the same problem here in UK.

4. Silmarillion

Silmarillion Chieftain

Germany here, exactly the same problem! :( When I was first trying to start it, it said something like "Installing Microsoft VC Redist" or something, I dunno what that means, but it did nothing for over half an hour, so I closed it... and then again several times after that... but now, I'm in the exact same spot as the original poster avove :( Not starting.

Please, please help, I stayed up for hours past midnight to play, I took two weeks vacation from work for this, I'm losing my mind :(

ELRACj likes this.
  5. Maria de Magdala

Maria de Magdala Chieftain

Same here in Finland! Exactly as the above messages. Not happy campers. Hope for a fix soon. Running win 7 (64).

Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
  6. cholsy

cholsy Warlord

I have this issue with Win 7 × 64. Which OS are you running?

7. Barrak

Barrak Chieftain

Just signed up to say that I have the same problem. Running Win 7 x64 too.

8. Cyon

Cyon Cosmonaut

It seems that it is related to me not having been able to update my Windows 7 64 bit for almost a year. last update I did was 2015-11-21 (KB2676562), my windows update gives me an error code (i think it is 8008005) and don't update squat anymore. Some people at steam forum suggests that downloading the "Windows6.1-KB2999226-x64" (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2999226) will help but my computer don't wont that!

So maybe I will try to instal Windows 10 instead, there is supposedly a free legal way to get it : http://www.howtogeek.com/266072/you-can-still-get-windows-10-for-free-with-a-windows-7-8-or-8.1-key/
    But it seems to be a lot of hassle! I just want to play the game :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

9. Silmarillion

Silmarillion Chieftain

Also have Win Seven, 64. Was frantically checking Steam, people were pointing out it may have to do with not having a certain upgrade on this Windows version? They posted a link to the upgrade package you needed; but I can't get it to install, just like all Windows Upgrades for about a year :(

(EDIT: Holy moly, Cyon, we seem to have the exact same problem, and tried and failed the exact same solution! Oh no, I hope that's not the only solution!? Win10 is never goin' near my computer.)

10. Asmodean

Asmodean Chieftain

11. Barrak

Barrak Chieftain

Figured it out. Just had to uninstall the latest Microsoft Visual C++ (2015) from program and features, then reinstall manually from Microsoft. Game works now.

Anthony Hollingsworth likes this.
  12. Cyon

Cyon Cosmonaut

Reinstall the same 2015 version or a newer one? Can you post a link to the version you instaled?

13. Silmarillion

Silmarillion Chieftain

I'm desperate enough to try anything! :undecide: Big favour to ask, Barrak, could you please describe how to to this uninstalling thing? Where to go, what to do? Imagine you're talking to a child, that's how bad I am at computers, sorry :( (EDIT: OK, Ithink I found and did that thing,at least!)

(EDIT: Also, like Cyon, a link to the thing I need to install afterwards would be super appreciated! <3)

Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
  14. Cyon

Cyon Cosmonaut

15. Maria de Magdala

Maria de Magdala Chieftain

Well, my hubby have win 8.1 and has evan moore problems, so I dont think it' exclusivly a win 7-thing... I just want to play the game, otherwise a refund might be something to consider.

16. ERLoft

ERLoft San Diegan

Found this on Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/civ/comments/58k359/game_wont_start_any_clues_anyone/d9122m8/

Spoiler :

Ok, so I had the same issue with Shadow Warrior the other day and it turned out to be Alienware LightFX causing issues (I don't have any of their devices). I did some digging around in the dmp file that Civ was generating and using random guesswork, came to the following solution.

I renamed the following files to something like xxx.dll.OLD

• C:\Windows\System32\LightFX.dll
    • C:\Windows\SysWOW64\LightFX.dll
    • C:\Windows\SysWOW64\LightFXXPS.dll
    The game launched fine after that.

Can't hurt to give it a try right? Hope it works for you

17. Silmarillion

Silmarillion Chieftain

I got it to work!! :eek: Not joking! I did just what Barrak said! After a long time of fiddling and figuring things out, I DID find and uninstall the 2015 thing (both of them, actually, there was also a x86 or so thing?). Then, it got difficult, as I failed again and again to install it again, just like Cyon had problems... but somehow, after restarting the computer, I DID get the Microsoft link Cyon provided up there to work! I think I repaired the 2015 thing, which took a bit... and then, when I again clicked on Civ to start it... it started!! I saw the intro, went through the options, had a benchmark... the only thing I didn't try was to start a game, since I'm horrifically tired after all that drama, and need to go to sleep now.:o Hopefully, the game will still be working tomorrow!

So, thank you SO much to Barrak!:goodjob: And Cyon, keep at it!! If I could do it, so can you! Best wishes!:)

18. Cyon

Cyon Cosmonaut

Still no success :( I'm so sad over this. Should have sleept instead of depressingly trying to fix computers problems that can't be fixed. Will sleep now 3 hours an then go to work. Will iIplay civ this weekend? Only the gods know.

19. cholsy

cholsy Warlord

I hope hotfix clear this issue ASAP:cringe:
    They should upload a patch to install right vc runtime library for win7.

Carassius likes this.
  20. Raiki

Raiki Warlord