Civ VII Press Release?

queenpea

Prince
So far, we just have a tweet, and some added details in articles like this one from IGN.

It's been mentioned that marketing will start in full force with a press release.

@Laurana Kanan (thank you) has pointed out that Civ VI was announced with a trailer on May 11, 2016. This was followed by E3 gameplay footage shared a few months later (thanks @TheMarshmallowBear , leading to a release in October.

Question: was a press release made public before the trailer on May 11? Assuming we will be treated to some kind of trailer in the late Spring or early Summer, should we expect a press release before then?

If so, how much information should we expect to be included on a press release? I doubt an exact release date would be fixed, but is it likely they would provide a window? (for example: Civ VII coming Q4 2023 / Christmas 2023)

Maybe there will be something on Monday US time. I would have thought it'd be a bit unusual to do a big announcement on a Sunday.

Meh, i don't expect anything until at least 3 weeks after the Leader Pass ends. Cleopatra and Eleanor aren't likely to be in vanilla if at all so I'm like 200K less hyped about it anyway.

Question: was a press release made public before the trailer on May 11? Assuming we will be treated to some kind of trailer in the late Spring or early Summer, should we expect a press release before then?
The press release was sent out at the same time as the announcement on May 11th. I don't recall if there were any specific social media posts leading up to it, however, at least nothing of any substance. After the announcement there were several videos and articles that began to be published weekly highlighting Civs, Wonders, and mechanics even before the walkthrough at E3.

If I had to guess:

- Trailer, with an official press release, teasing the big selling "back of the box" features of the game

In the case of 6, it was I believe the uncoupling of buildings from cities into Districts, as well as "playing the terrain".

In 5, I believe the focus was largely on One Unit Per Tile.

Early in 2016, the CEO of another company (Paradox, if I remember correctly) was commenting on the state of the industry at that point and expressed his expectation that Firaxis would release Civ VI later that year.

That was the closest thing we had to a pre-release notice.

I'd find it incredibly odd that they would announce the new civ now if it really was "years away". If it's true (I highly doubt it, though) then it would be a great way to kill off any type of hype for VII.

I think we're getting it late 2023 or Spring 2024, and an official announcement at the end of the Leader's Pass. I find "years away" to be a silly conclusion as like Eagle said, it would insinuate that Firaxis did absolutely nothing between NFP and the Leader's Pass other than the Leader's Pass itself, which I find hard to believe as the Leader Pass is definitely a step down in quality in every single department so the workload definitely was not 100% focused on that.

I am pesimistic about date for more news/release

I dont think we will hear anything more in 2023 ...

That would be operating under the assumption that work on Civ 7 began recently, and not as far back as the end of GS or NFP.

Yes, I'm hoping you're right!

My guess is that word of the leadership shakeup at Firaxis was communicated to the press, but somehow, by mistake, a mention of new Civ developments was included in that disclosure. Then, preemptively, we get that weird tweet.

Just a feeling!

Yes, I'm hoping you're right!

My guess is that word of the leadership shakeup at Firaxis was communicated to the press, but somehow, by mistake, a mention of new Civ developments was included in that disclosure. Then, preemptively, we get that weird tweet.

Just a feeling!
I think it's because Hazen's statement happened to include a status on the next Civ game, and that it was going to be reported by the games media, that they preempted the reports with a social media announcement.

I think it's because Hazen's statement happened to include a status on the next Civ game, and that it was going to be reported by the games media, that they preempted the reports with a social media announcement.
That might seem to indicate possibly even more Civ 6 content, considering there is at least one unnamed DLC.

All that makes sense BUT I have a hard time believing any of this was unintentional, you know? Firaxis is very tight-lipped and its people never seem to say anything out of turn. It feels like they just wanted to throw fans a bone and begin a gradual revving up of the hype engine.

Sure, but that tweet was super awkward. Awkwardly phrased and awkwardly timed.

It stepped all over the LP, so much so that absolutely no one is now talking about the last two DLC drops of that series (which is impressive, especially because Mac players, like myself, haven't received any new leaders since the Commanders pack).

Top Bottom