Civ Visually

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Slynky333, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Varanid

Varanid Warlord

This. They don't have to be astonishing but at least decent. I'd be fine with Civ 4 level graphics if they'd managed to help the performance along cause it's still horrid.

2. Slynky333

Slynky333 Warlord

Nicely put. And simple things to fix. Well, it would SEEM to be easy to fix. ;)

3. Varanid

Varanid Warlord

but I want to keep the 4 horsemen of the (local) apocalypse :( It's just too cool. I wish they'd vary the color though...only one is supposed to be white :p

4. Unclescam777

Unclescam777 Chieftain

I wonder if I am playing the same game as some of you.

I bought a DirectX 11 card (460GTX), overclocked it, maxed out the video settings and...:undecide:

• Why do the rivers look painted on with one color?
    • Why do the trees look like Bob Ross painted them?
    • Why are all of the colors so dull? It makes ciV feel bland and lifeless. This is a problem with many modern games. When I look out my window I see bright, vibrant colors, but "good" graphics always seem to consist of dull browns and greens. CiV looks like it hasn't rained in 4000 years.

There are a lot of things that look good in ciV, but the things that look bad are REALLY BAD. It gives the impression that the artists slapped everything together in Microsoft Paint.

5. Arsenic Steel

Arsenic Steel Warlord

This.
    For me the civ series has never been about top notch graphics or cutting edge visuals. The series always, up until now, felt optimized graphically to perform well on different hardware setups(SHOCKER even laptops) not just high end systems. Ironically civ V does not even run optimally on many high end systems either.

Over the decades I thought the chief area of complaints from fans was the AI not graphics for this stadegy franchise. Well there is nothing like a new paint job when your transmission is busted.

6. Jharii

Jharii King

Exception: Dwarf Fortress. :D

7. charon2112

charon2112 King

the graphics have been growing on me. I understand that they were going for a painterly style, and I like it. Except for rivers, they're horrible. If you put a IV screenshot next to a V screenshot, it's pretty apparent that V has way better graphics...the texture of the dunes, mountains, and ground are really pretty good.

8. Unclescam777

Unclescam777 Chieftain

Yeah the mountains are nice in DX11. I also like the attention to detail on the little things, like reflections on the water or the deer grazing.

But that just makes the flaws more frustrating. How can they let those bland rivers pass if they're willing to put so much detail into the other scenery?

9. Putmalk

Putmalk Deity

I love the graphics! Just got a brand-new video card which is making mince-meat of the graphics. Like, seriously, it feels like I've got 120 fps. Every detail is amazing in hi-def, I swear. XD

10. charon2112

charon2112 King

I'd love to mod in some new rivers...but I can barely spell 'mod', let alone create one...