1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ you choose when up the difficulty?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Osamu, Aug 25, 2012.

1. Osamu

Osamu Chieftain

Do you have Civ you prefer/confident to play when you increase the difficulty?

In vanilla, I like France for easy culture boost from Prince to King to Emperor.

In G&K, I prefer Celts for easy Religion while up from Emperor to Immortal.

What about you?

2. black213

black213 Emperor

Babylon. Science is everything and good defensive unit and building for early rushes that are frequent on emperor and higher.

3. MisterSaturnine

MisterSaturnine Warlord

I'm trying for my first Emperor victory in earnest right now with England and I've found their abilities to be very helpful in the move-up. Longbows have been great for conquering/defensive wars and have allowed me to exert far more power than my mere units would suggest. England's extra spy has allowed me to stay competitive technologically while pushing my war advantage - I've stolen 5 or 6 techs at this point, possibly more. Once I get Ships of the Line and range-2 Gatling Guns...Emperor's going to be a piece of cake.

4. DGDobrev

DGDobrev Warlord

There are a few civs that give easier time on higher difficulties:

- Babylon allows you to be very adaptive in your early game strategy
    - The Incas have a great mountain bias, which make it hard for the enemy to get to you. All you need is a city and 1-3 archers to defend against a 10+ units invasion
    - Maya are also very adaptive. Rush theology and you can do anything you want and way you want it. You can also plan your GP spawn, so time it well with important wonders and CS requests and you will rule the game even on higher difficulties
    - Korea is like Babylon, just better in the long run. Starts off kinda sluggish, but rules the game as they progress.

I always had the most success with these 4. On smaller maps with 6 civs or less, Egypt is also a good option, as not many wonders can be built at the same time. If you go for wonder building and take the respective boosts in tradition and pantheon, you can still crank wonder after wonder, as they will take only a few turns more than the normal building. I once managed to get ToA, GL, HG and Petra on 6-AI Deity map. Totally broke the game and made the science victory a snap :)

5. JaGarLo

JaGarLo Settler

I don't have a ''prefered civ for a good game''. I always pick a new civilization when I start a new game, even with increased difficulty.

6. Petiscator

Petiscator King

I usually do the same as JaGarLo.

I moved up to emperor last day, after a LOT of trying - I just got bored of all my previous games - so I started a game on Small Continents with Carthage.

Insta trade routes = rolling in money early on, production from sea resources.

Elephants = helped me conquer the Incas, while the Q-remes gave me sea support. Fantastic units

Allied with messenger of the gods = science lead

So, I'm happy :)

7. slapshot2119

slapshot2119 Chieftain

I usually "test the waters" in a new difficulty level with Bismarck. Having an extra 1/2 dozen+ units from encampments means that, even if I miss all the goodies I race for, I'm at least not going to be eliminated. Their extra maintenance is covered by his trait as well. The extra gold is a small step in the right direction too, particularly for upgrades to the aforementioned units.

8. Harv72b

Harv72b Prince

Babylon, for all the reasons mentioned already.
    Carthage on a water-based map because it's basically a guaranteed win.
    Polynesia on a water-based map because you can sail/settle the world while the AI is still trying to master triremes.
    Spain if I feel like gambling a bit--if you find that wonder on turn 5 it goes a long way towards evening the playing field.
    The Iroquois because I won't be screwed if I don't have iron nearby, plus I won't have to deal with Hiawatha. :D

9. blackcatatonic

blackcatatonic Queen of Meme

Heh... clearly you haven't had a game like my first attempt at Carthage Archipelago. I was I believe the seventh (out of eight) Civ to score a pantheon, I missed out on pretty much all the key wonders (though somehow managed to bag Petra), there was no iron anywhere near me, and I had no money. And I was having happiness problems. In G&K. On King!

10. blackcatatonic

blackcatatonic Queen of Meme

In response to the OP:

France, for the same reasons the OP has suggested. I haven't upped the difficulty since G&K but I'm thinking the Celts might be quite nice, although the thing with the forests takes a bit of getting used to.