Civ2: Hosting an game behind a firewall/router

Capt. Queeg

Chieftain
Those who wish to host a Civ 2 game from behind a router or software firewall, must forward port 4993 to their game server.

What does that mean? If you have a firewall, or a router, it blocks most connections to your computer. However, you can tell it to allow certain connections to get through. Have you ever been to a post office with hundreds of post office boxes, each with its own number? That's sort of what this is like. By installing a router or firewall, you've told the post master, to block everything being sent to all of the mail boxes. A Civilization server constantly checks box (port) #4993 for messages from the players. So if your firewall blocks all the things being sent to there, Civilization never gets any messages and no one can connect to your game. So, you need to tell the firewall to allow communication port 4993 to get through to your machine.

If you have a Windows XP firewall configured,

* Go to Network Connections in Control Panel
* Right click on your Internet Connection (could be called Local Area Network) and select Properties
* Click the Advanced tab
* Click Settings in the firewall area (At the top for SP1, at the bottom for SP2)
* In the Services tab click Add and create the Civ2MP setting with 4993 etc

If you have another software firewall, like Norton Firewall, you'll need to consult your manual.

If you have a router, you'll have to check the manual and forward 4993 to the machine hosting the game (your INTERNAL IP address). To find your interal IP Address on Windows XP
* Go to Network Connections in Control Panel
* Right click on your Internet Connection (could be called Local Area Network) and select Status
* Click the Support tab
* Your internal IP address is labled simply IP Adress.

You will then need to tell others the ip address for them to connect to. The simplest way to get this is to go to WhatIsMyIP.com

Enjoy! :goodjob:

Is this the same for Test of Time?

Yes, in fact, my friend and I just played our first internet game with these instructions.

I'd written them expecting to play soon, but it never worked out that way.

They worked beautifully.

OH - the only question I had on the process was what to put on the screen that says "Please verify your IP address" and indeed it wants your external IP address.

If you are behind a router, that field will default to something like 192.168.0.2. If that field startss as 192.168.... you must figure out your EXTERNAL IP address.

The easiest way to find your EXTERNAL IP address is to go to www.whatismyip.com. Then copy that number into civ (Ctrl+C then Ctrl+V for copy and paste works fine in CIV) and you'll be on your way...

Maybe we'll get together for a game sometime...

CHEERS!

I suspect that depends upon the options when you are starting the game. I suspect that the true multiplayer game is UDP. It is SIGNIFICANTLY slower than the dial up networking game (Max 2 players). The DUN game is probably direct TCP. In addition, you can choose to play via IPX/SPX/NetBios protocol which is only UDP (I think) instead of the TCP/IP which supports both TCP and UDP.

In short, if you just want to play, open both UDP and TCP/IP. If you have security concerns, open both, verify that it works, close one or the other, and try again. Then let us know the details!

My router only opens both so I have no way of testing. If you could run some tests and provide us with the information, that would be GREAT!

Q

A really easy way to do it is just to download Hamachi.

Its a really easy VPN, and it works for Civ. It works for most games, and basically how you join a game once all the players are on hamachi is simple also. You must start a new LAN (TCP) game, and the others join it like there is an actual LAN.

I suggest you get the beta, and the website is: www.hamachi.cc

Which version(s) of Civ have you successfully used Hamachi with?

You ought to post about Civ in the Hamachi "Games that work" thread:
http://forums.hamachi.cc/viewtopic.php?t=180

I will probably be trying out Test of Time soon. :king:

I have got Hamachi,but i don't know networks to get in and their password in order to find people and play...How do i do it??? (I want to play civ2). I have created my own networks civ II ,and civ2 mp,nobody finds me...

My e-mail: stvhierro@windowslive.com (plz.contact)

Top Bottom