1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ2 on WinXP

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Technical Support' started by SunTzu, Sep 10, 2002.

1. SunTzu

SunTzu Hooah Retired Moderator

Here's my dilemma.
    When running Civ2 scenario's that use .Bat files u must have u must have Choice.com file to run the .Bat files
    well i have choice and i can run the .Bat files to set up the game (Great Napoleonic battles) and when i run the game itself i'm going through everything and i click 'male' as my gender and Civ2.exe incounters a problem and civ2 crashes.
    Here's the info:
    AppName: civ2.exe AppVer: 0.0.0.0 ModName: civ2.exe
    ModVer: 0.0.0.0 Offset: 000465c3

Can someone help me! My new system is will feel empty without civ2 on it :(

2. SunTzu

BUMP! come on people someone help me out here

3. Mercator

Mercator Chieftain

Did you always have this problem, or did it run fine at first?

4. SunTzu

i never tried running the scenario's with .bat files before i put Choice.com in the folders. Civ2 runs fine with scenario's not using .bat files....

5. SunTzu

ok found out that my Civ2 only crashes when i try and play Great Napoleonic Battles....

6. Mercator

Mercator Chieftain

Well, that probably means a bug in the scenario, rather than your system... But I guess you figured that one out already.

7. SunTzu

lol yeah :(

8. Smash

Smash Super Lurker Retired Moderator

Why has this thread been made a sticky?...it contains no useful info at all :confused:

9. SunTzu

because i needed help, duh..lol
    i didn't want it going to the bottom

10. Smash

I dunno.Could be an abuse of position.

I think a Senate committe to investigate this matter is in order. ;)

You get it figured out yet?

11. SunTzu

no :( its not my new computer, but it seems to be a bug in Great Napoleonic Battles scenario.......its good its not a system thing, but it still sucks cause i still have to keep going back to my old system to play the Pbem :( lol o well

12. Smash

I'm gonna d/l itl and check it out.

13. SunTzu

thanks Smash :) i've devised a plan so i won't have to get online on my old computer which takes some 6 minutes just to do.....get a floppy disk, download the saved games on my new pc, put the on the disk go to old pc, move game file to correct folder and play. lol

14. SunTzu

Oh and i tried, not running the .bat file at all and it crashed and i tried deleting the .bat file all together and tried running it and it still crashed. So i'm thinking....its not the .bat file, some other file thats causing it.

15. jimyjoe

jimyjoe Chieftain

I also have a problem running civ 2 on winxp. The game works ok without the cd except for the wonder movies etc... but to view that it says I need an Indeo codec for xp. After directing me to the appropriate site to download ($x) I downloaded the same codec from warez.xxx and now have the problem of general protection fault module IR41.d.. at 0005:4e60 If you have overcome this problem let me know.

Jim

16. alienluvrs

alienluvrs Chieftain

I have win xp and my civ II works great. I'm just having a problem getting rid of the SDI Defense and/or Laser technology. I'm trying to revamp the game for more current technology and different civs with current world leaders. It's also hard to find gif pics of the leaders. Also having a problem with the civ city file. I have 50 cities for each civ and I entered them last night. Some don't work they have you put in a city name every time you create one. Is there a limit for the amount of cities each Civ can have? I've also had no problem running scenarios on my game although I don't think I've tried the Nepolion one. :p

17. alienluvrs

alienluvrs Chieftain

Well I posted the thred above at work and I did some thinking, and some reading and found what I did wrong. It seems that I'll just have to price the SDI way high and make the matinence on it astounding. That way the AI won't build it.

18. Wolf Lord

Wolf Lord Chieftain

Can someone please help me!
    I have no problems playing original Civ 2 but with ToT i do. Whenever i try to get into ToT it says that I have to run it in 16bit......But i have it in 16 bit! grrrrr, is there some sort of patch to fix this please help!

19. Wolf Lord

Wolf Lord Chieftain

Well, sorry my problem is fixed! I only thought of it yesterday! It wasn't how my system had the colour the .exe file's compatability was to auto run in 256 colours! No problems with the game, just with me!:goodjob: