Civ2 passes the Test of Time even after Civ4

Magian

Chieftain
I play Civ games since Civ1. I was so addicted to it so I could sit and play for days and nights. It's a great game.
Then Civ2 came out. It was even better. The wonder and council movies made me stand in front of the PC drooling. The "feel" of the game was the same as in Civ1, just got much better now.
Then Civ3 came out. I was enthusiastic about it, but... After a couple of games I lost interest. (I grow older now and I'm not the teenager I used to be when I was spending days and nights playing Civ1 and Civ2. Maybe it's me. Not the game.) Yes, I did play Civ3, but it's not like "it used to be". I gave it a chance again and again after every expansion was out but nothing... the addictive streamlined gameplay was gone.

Now Civ4 is out. I was reading so many reviews on it and everybody was amazed by the detail of the game. Now, when finally I got it and started playing... Yes. It's great...simulation. The graphics are pretty, there are so many things to think and watch for. There's even religions (What is a simulator of the human civilization without them?) Complicated computer simulator eating lots of resources. Nice. But... the fun gameplay is not here either. May be it's me...

So I dig out my copy of Civ2:ToT, installed it and went on quick rampage over the ugly darkish world with my uglier 15K color units wasting the whole day.

Civ2 still rules and it's a hellava good GAME

I've played Civ I and Civ II. My favorite will always be ToT. :)

One thing I noticed about the "darkness" of it... for me it was partly an issue with my monitor. When I got a new monitor, I saw details I'd never noticed before (especially in the Naumachia and underground maps).

But I like the darkness. The underground feels closed in, like underground tunnels should be. Naumachia is a moon, and the dark, rocky colors are perfect. Lalande, the orbital platforms, Nona, and the fantasy worlds are mysterious places, and the maps reflect that beautifully.

The ToT worlds are places I can write stories about. I can't say that of other Civ games.

Valka D'Ur said:
I've played Civ I and Civ II. My favorite will always be ToT. :)

I loved Civ1 for the intro movie "In the beginning the Erath was without form and void..." I've noticed that this movie is back in Civ4. Good touch.

ToT worlds are great but I usualy play only Original game. ;)

Magian said:
Yes. It's great...simulation.

Agree with that. I've played several games on civ4 now, but am still lost. Too many things to dicede upon. It will take a long time before one can really play this game to it's full extend. Will give it some more tries (as it took me some time to adjust to civ3 as well) but, I don't want to study the manual for a couple of days just to know what's what. Also grafics are nice but you need to zoom in to see what the tiles are then zoom out again to get the bigger picture.

nerovats said:
Too many things to dicede upon.

Yes. Too many. There are great games with simple rules. Chess for example.
I dream about Civ2 Remake with nice modern graphics and sound, fixed bugs and clever AI.

Why you should add new rules and change so many things when you once made a great game?! Keep the proven rules and just update it to the new hardware.
I won't be surprised if we get Civ5 real-time strategy. :cry:

I only like ToT (mostly fantasy mode). I modified many units, terrains (maps with larger clouds, etc), events/rules files and i still have fun.
I think civ3-4 just add more pretty graphics/animations but that's all.

What I like of civIII more then civII is there are more options to win: culture, domination, diplomatic. But the step from civII to civIII was rather small. If you knew how to play civII you would have no problem starting with civIII. Sure, I had to adjust strats but now so much has changed it's a completely new game. Which doesn't have to be bad ofcourse, but it's a step so big I think a lot of civII and civIII players will not make it and continue playing their old game. Fortunatly I got my civ4 copy cheap :) , but I doubt I'll get the same value out of it compared with my civII and civIII disks :D , I must have gotten a day playing time for every cent those have costed me :goodjob: .

Civ 2 is absoloutely timeless, great game and I've had years of good gameplay. I'm an addict and cannot get enough even though I've had it for so long.
:cool:

civ2 IS timeless! its true. it took me about a year to finally get into civ3, but now i have civ4 aswell. still playing civ2 though! The amount of sleepless nights and missed meals in the last 8 years is shocking, truly shocking!

Civilization II is in my oppinion perhaps the greatest game ever made. My only complaint with it is that the AI is lacking...

nerovats said:
What I like of civIII more then civII is there are more options to win: culture, domination, diplomatic. But the step from civII to civIII was rather small. If you knew how to play civII you would have no problem starting with civIII. Sure, I had to adjust strats but now so much has changed it's a completely new game. Which doesn't have to be bad ofcourse, but it's a step so big I think a lot of civII and civIII players will not make it and continue playing their old game. Fortunatly I got my civ4 copy cheap :) , but I doubt I'll get the same value out of it compared with my civII and civIII disks :D , I must have gotten a day playing time for every cent those have costed me :goodjob: .
I found the step from Civ2 to Civ3 much bigger than that from Civ3 to Civ4. It certainly took longer for me to adapt to things like culture or diplomatic victory (suddenly it matters if everyone hates you in the modern era) than to the new combat system in Civ4, which is about the only really big gameplay change in Civ4.

I have civ3, but I still play civ2 and it is still great. I love the editability of it. One can create grand scenarios with ease. When I got civ3, I was cussing like heck trying to get my pluto stuff to work in it, so I went back to civ2. I especially like test of time. in ToT, i can truly "privatize" my pluto techs and turn on "steal tech on conquest" and not worry about a thing. :D

Guys, do you REALLY like Civilization 2?

If so - why are you so passive? Why is this forum such rarely refreshes? Where are the posts? Where are the improvements? Where are the games?

Where are demorcacy games? Civ3 and Civ4 fans have it, where is Civ2?

Where are the editing of the Civ? Civ2 really has it's own charm(Civ4 is better, it is the best of all Civs, but Civ2 really has things, no other civs have), but DEFINETELY needs to be improved.

There MUST be declaration of war in diplo screen(it is always more pleasurable and real to declare war, but not to break treaty).

There must be AI level increase. Or at least the aggression of AI(it is very peaceful even on Deity, especially if you make alliances).

There must be diplomacy change. It is ridiculous, when even the 100000 times weaker civ demand something in diplo screen.

May be some other rules need to be changed. IMHO, improving game engine is more important and valuable, than creating "scenarios". It will really make game more interesting.

Where is activity?

It's not expectations. It is an offer:)

I don't think, that anybody likes disadvantages of Civ2. You may forgive them:) - but don't like. So I suggest making Civ2 and it's community better. I think, that all Civ2 lovers must be interested in that. Better - doesn't mean make like Civ3. Better means better.

Top Bottom