1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

civ2 stopped working! :(

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Technical Support' started by zarfol, Jul 4, 2004.

1. zarfol

zarfol Chieftain

Well, 2 months ago, i loaded civ 2 up on my p4 1.6ghz 256 mb ram win xp HOME desktop computer.

Everything worked fine, except the videos/wonder movies/high council, i didn't really care about that stuff anyway.

Ok, so now i tried playing it again and I get this error message.

Title of box : Can't run 16-bit windows program
    description : One of the livrary files needed to run C:\MPS\CIV2\civ2.exe is damaged. Please reinstall this application.

I've reinstalled it about 3 times, with different civ 2 cd's (a while ago i thought i lost it, so i bought one for 1.99 at compusa, then i find it again :D )

earlier, i had the shell.dll problem, downloaded that file and that went away, but now this new thing comes up and it's really stupid...

is there a windows 3.1 emulator anywhere? probably would run slow, but as long as i can play i don't really care that much..

2. Mercator

Mercator Chieftain

Have you tried running civ2 in compatibility mode?

Oh, and you should be able to solve the video problem by installing the Indeo Video Codec Update here:
    http://hometown.aol.com/cedricgreene/

3. zarfol

zarfol Chieftain

yeah, i have tried compatibility mode for win 95/2000/NT4

I just can't get it to work, and it did earlier.

well, i have to reformat my computer and reload windows for college next year... so i guess it'll work after that.

4. Titi

Titi Chieftain

If (as I suppose) MPS stands for MicroProse Software, then it is not the MultiPlayer version you have. In that case, did you upgrade to Civ 2.42?
    The patch is in the downloads section.
    Good luck (by the way, try not to reformat unless there's nothing else to do!)

5. Baka

Baka Chieftain

My version used the MPS directory, mine was packaged as Civilization II: Ultimate Edition. It seems to be the same as MGE v1.2, except it rejects most of the v1.3 MGE update patches, probably due to it using a different directory.

6. Conrino

Conrino Chieftain

Still not working