Civ2 strategy, suggestions and brainstorming thread

Jokemaster

Insert something here
So... where to start? This post is rather long, and I hope I worded it right. Anyways, I have a suggestion to the Civ2 community.

I've played Civ2 for a few years and found this site (and later on its forums) a year or so before today. There's absolutely no question that the advice that I found here (and the brainstorming that this advice made me do) transformed my game. But I feel like something is still missing...

The main problem I find with Civ strategy is that good advice is 1.) fragmented and scattered in multiple posts and discussions, and thus difficult/lengthy to access for the average Civ2 player, 2.) lacking concrete advice about critical game transitions, such as when you should a) start building your first shipchain w/high taxes, b) try to prepare your civ for Railroad and The Corporation (and c)) and c) industrializing your cities and growing them to size 17+ in mass quickly enough, (a.k.a. before Flight and the 33% trade penalty) so cities can take over quickly enough. 3) The advice is there, but it's difficult to cram multiple players' inputs in one grand strategy, or 4) TRADE. It is the 2nd most important (1st most important, IMO, is expansion) aspect of the game and, by far, the most difficult. However, I've yet to see a comprehensive guide on Big Trade, and IMO that's the biggest piece of the puzzle we're missing. It was pointed out by Peaster a year ago in this thread
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=361279
and it still holds true IMO.

I've also noticed that sometimes, posts outline a specific goal, but are not very clear at what steps you should actually do in order to achieve said goals, which can leave some people confused. Not to mention that upon finding CFC, people first look at the Civ2 War Academy for strategy and start thinking it's good, which is not. Well, it used to be better. And it's not exactly followed by advanced players today... That means that many players are following out-dated strategies, instead of going in the forums... This leaves only a minority of players holding all of the information, and the process of getting said info (based out of my own experience) reminds me of the movie ''The 12 tasks of Asterix'' and finding Permit A 38 in "The Place That Sends You Mad". I consider it to be unnecessarily long, like trying to get out of the GOTM 118 labyrinth without building any canal cities in the mountains (nevermind the fact that we knew the map in advance). Or, for the techies out there, you can think about onion routing and how frustratingly slow Tor is.

So what I've been saying is that there's the relevant information out there, but it's not very easily accessible for the average Civ2 player as said info tends to be spreaded out in different works and forum posts, instead of being all put in one centralized resource.

I intend this thread to be a place for two things: a place for debate, and a place to build and improve this central, easy-to-access resource. A place for debate, as I think that there is one thing that has not changed since GOTM 110 (the last ''strategy push'' I can think of) which is transitions (from ICS to initial trade, for example). And, a place to build this resource. I started a few months ago to build that resource as a try to answer these questions and I think that my rough draft is now completed enough to present it to the CFC community as a possibility for future reference, use, and placing in the War Academy (if that's still doable) so newbies stepping there actually get something that's updated. I am now presenting it, and hopefully it will spark a few good discussions.

Please note that I've zipped my Word file because it was over the max. filesize of 500kb.

Attachments

• Civ2 guide first version posted on CFC.zip
    1.3 MB · Views: 379
I'll be able to look at this more closely in a few days, but I suggest that you put in a table of contents and some basic formatting (page breaks between distinct sections, give sub-section titles their own line) to make it easier to find specific sections. I realize that this is a draft, so I'm not suggesting a major editing process.

I should also point out that for the major aspects of this game, people have varying opinions, so a "definitive" strategy guide might be hard to come up with.

Something I noticed when reading a part: you seem to have the superhighways build cost at 160 shields in your classic version (you mention a rush cost of 320g). The English rules text has this at 200 shields (just like MGE), but I seem to recall that the French and/or German rules text for classic did not. You should check and make sure the cost is 200 for standardization purposes.

Something I noticed when reading a part: you seem to have the superhighways build cost at 160 shields in your classic version (you mention a rush cost of 320g). The English rules text has this at 200 shields (just like MGE), but I seem to recall that the French and/or German rules text for classic did not. You should check and make sure the cost is 200 for standardization purposes.

Thanks for pointing that out! Turns out this is also true for crusaders (30 vs. 40) will add.

I'm also planning to build this in HTML so the whole editing process and the ease of access is improved. But not before RL gives me a break.

Jokemaster, I agree with you. For whatever reason, players are always willing to discuss game mechanics, but they rarely discuss planning, which is far more important for successful play. I guess it is often difficult to decide objectively who is right about such things. It is easier to just play the way one has always done.

I've looked through the guide in some detail.

I've highlighted what I think are factual errors/things to confirm in red and made comments (also in red) about what I actually think is the case at the end of the paragraph.

I haven't really commented on strategy; where I got close, I highlighted in green.

I removed the pictures from the document to make it smaller.

Attachments

• Civ2 guide with comments.doc
    364.5 KB · Views: 309
Technically, communist cities do experience very small amounts of corruption, but you have to have a lot of trade for this to happen (I remember a city had roughly 50 trade and 1 corruption).

Just ran a test... I'm seeing a 91 trade city with 1 corruption in Communism.
It was my capital, and yes I did had a Palace in it.
Not going to try to understand...
Skip ahead 1 turn, I build a new Palace far away from my capitol. Next thing I know, it has 2 corruption.
I rebuild a Palace in my former capitol, it still has 1 corruption.

I thought capitols did not experience corruption?

P.S Thanks for the feedback. Got a brief look at it, I will fix it when I have time... I'm pretty busy with RL right now.

EDIT: To answer to Prof's post: My test was done under Classic.

SECOND EDIT: I ran a test under Cheat mode with a settler, and I can confirm that railroads take twice the time (4 points) to build than roads (2 points)

THIRD EDIT:
Also, fanatics may not require support, but they do take up the free support for other units, if they are among the first 10 military units supported.

I've just ran a test. Homed 10 fanatics in a city that supported 0 units under Fundy (my version of Classic has a setting of 10 freely supported units under rules.txt). I home an Engineer, no difference, but the Engineer appears in front of the Fanatics in the support screen. I home an alpine troop, there's a difference and the alpine troop takes up a shield in support. I home an 11th fanatic, no difference. I'm pretty sure that's because Engineers come before Fanatics in the ''Select unit to create'' menu in Cheat Mode, but not Alpine Troops. This means that units that come before Fanatics in that list are in the clear in case of a fanatic spam (up to 10), but not the ones afterwards. The sad thing is that besides Engineers, no (modern) unit is before Fanatics: all other ones are pre-gunpowder units.

Based on some stuff I did with scenarios a while back, I think that communism makes all cities behave as though they were a certain number of squares away from the capital, regardless of the actual distance (IIRC, it is 10 squares by default). Then the palace works simply as a courthouse. I seem to remember (although I could be wrong) being offered the option to sell the palace at one point.

All this was either in Fantastic Worlds or MGE; there might be differences between versions when it comes to this sort of thing. Also, my memory on the subject is rather vague since it happened so long ago.

SECOND EDIT: I ran a test under Cheat mode with a settler, and I can confirm that railroads take twice the time (4 points) to build than roads (2 points)

I also ran a test on various terrain types and my results are the following:

Roads cost 2x the movement penalty of the terrain if there is no river, and railroads cost 4x the movement penalty of the terrain. However, if there is a river on the square, it simply adds 2 to the cost of the project, regardless of terrain or whether roads or railroads are being built. The river penalty was probably what I was remembering as being + a constant, since building a railroad on a plains river requires only 3 engineer turns, as opposed to 4 if railroads were double the cost of roads.

EDIT: To answer to Prof's post: My test was done under Classic.

I've witnessed communism corruption in classic as well (but not in the capital). What I meant was that most of my playing around with the government and its parameters was not done in classic.

Not to mention that upon finding CFC, people first look at the Civ2 War Academy for strategy and start thinking it's good, which is not.
That is indeed a problem. I had the same experience.

This game is quite complicated. The issue with strategy guides is that they will get very long. I would guess that a complete strategy guide covering all different aspects of the game as well as how to play for different end goals would be several hundred pages.

Good luck on your endeavor. I did skim it but RL has been dominating my life for the past two weeks and I have to finish GOTM 120 which is due in a few days time.

Long time no update.

I had my hands full with RL in the past month, and the result is that the next step took too much time to my liking. But better late than never: I expect to be done with the final revision of my works somewhere during next week (and afterwards, I'll upload the HTML code) as a worst-case scenario.

My current draft is here:
https://sites.google.com/site/insertunheres/
if you want to check it out.

I've been skimming through the new draft, and I noticed the following:

Now, let’s say you play with Republic under Deity, on a normal map. The maximum number of cities you get without the Riot Factor is 8. Now, you build (NOT CAPTURE!) your 9th city. Now, let’s suppose this happens to be the 31st city in the game, now cities 8, 16 and 24 will suffer extra unhappiness (if you have them). Translated in Deity terms, it will give the first citizen at an unhappy state. You then build your 10th city, 34th total. Cities 7, 15, 23 and 31 get extra unhappiness. Since you own the 31st city, it will suffer from the Riot Factor. You build your 11th city, 36th total. Cities 6, 14, 22 and 30 get extra unhappiness and so on.

This is highly misleading. Captured cities do contribute to the riot factor, but it is just delayed by a turn.

Beware though: sometimes, you get the option to launch your SS even when the odds of success are not 100%. If your luck runs out, your SS won’t land on Alpha Centauri, and you will have to build a new one. O.U.C.H!

This is not true. Your spaceship will always get there, regardless of the "probability of success." All that does is tell you what percentage of points you will get for your spaceship. E.g. if you have 1 habitation module and a 79% chance of success, you will get 79 points for landing that spaceship.

This is not true. Your spaceship will always get there, regardless of the "probability of success." All that does is tell you what percentage of points you will get for your spaceship. E.g. if you have 1 habitation module and a 79% chance of success, you will get 79 points for landing that spaceship.

That's true: will modify.

Captured cities do contribute to the riot factor, but it is just delayed by a turn.

I just ran a test. Normal map, Deity level, Monarchy (6 cities before RF) 11 cities before rampage, 19 cities afterwards. Beforehand, all cities had default reds except one. I take 8 cities, skip a turn. All cities have one black hat, and one has 2 of them. I guess I missed something in the happiness thread.

EDIT: I'm done. I've attached to this post edit the HTML code of my webpage in a .txt file. I've also edited the HTML formatting so it would work outside of Google Sites (originally, the HTML code made it so page anchors would point at sites.google.com, but I removed these so the anchors would work on CFC). Also, some pictures are hosted externally, on Photobucket and Imageshack.

Attachments

• civ2 HTML coding final version.txt
    307.9 KB · Views: 156
If I understand correctly Spaceship ALWAYS lands after launching (even if probability of success less than 100%)? Is it correct for civ1 as well?

Top Bottom