CIV2 to MGE converter

Pongui

Deity
Of course the first thing anyone does after applying Cedric's CIV classic to MGE patch isn't thanking him, it's logging onto MSN Zone and entering a playroom. The Zone cannot detect Microprose Civilization 2 Online on your hard drive.

The Zone cannot detect Microprose Civilization 2 Online on your hard drive.

Version 1.3 is required. I now have that. I've tried plopping a redundant 1.3 patch into my civ directory just to be sure.

A possible issue is the ADSL connection I use, but, as I don't like to think about that, I'm hoping someone can give me some advice in another direction.

This is a grand patch, useful or not.

I have a feeling it has to do with not being installed into the registry. Can't really think of a way around except actually installing MGE.

Thanks for the clue. A registry search found the entry "Civilization II Multiplayer Gold Edition", version "1.3". That's because I ran Vfwfix.reg, a debugging tool included with Civ. MSN Gaming Zone must be looking for another registry, or a different entry in windows\civ.ini (somehow the converter added a MGE entry to this file), or it's looking right under my nose...

Has anyone actually used this CIV2 to MGE converter, then played in MSN Zone? I'm not asking about people who also have the retail MGE installed. I'm also wondering if my converted CIV2 really works for internet gaming not in the Zone, but don't know how to find a playgroup to test it. I hope to run many tests, for at least three hours every evening.

Anyone new to multiplayer please note that MS Gaming Zone detection of MGE isn't necessary as few people actually use the Zone tables, which slow the game. Chat in the - lobby, I think they call it - to find players, and then set up a game without using the Zone facility.

Originally posted by Cedric Greene
I have a feeling it has to do with not being installed into the registry. Can't really think of a way around except actually installing MGE.

If the registry really would be the problem, there is no problem. Just export all MGE keys to a .reg file and include it in the patch. :rolleyes:

Mercator what happens when everyone has their copy of civ 2 in a different directory or different drive for that matter? Still think my registry keys will work? ;)

Cedric...

Here is what to do:

1. Find the location of the Registry keys in question.

2. Export them to a .reg file.

3. Rename the file with a .txt ending.

4. Use any text editor (e.g., notepad) to have a look.

5. Determine what changes you thing should be made.

6. Write a short set of instructions (sort of like these) explaining what each person is going to have to do.... e.g., rename a path to a particular directory, etc.

7. Then tell the person to rename the file back to a .reg and double click. The new registry entry will be added (or an existing one overwritten).

8. Before anyone, especially neophytes, try altering registry entries and importing them, it would be advisable for them to export any target entries as a backu, so the original can be quickly restored if desired.

As an example, here is the entire Branch for my Civ2 entry (I have a legit copy of Civ 2 MGE installed):

Code:
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MicroProse Software]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MicroProse Software\Civilization II Multiplayer Gold Edition]
"DefaultLanguage"=dword:00000001
"CD Path"="X:"
"Game Path"=".\\"
"Version"="1.3"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MicroProse Software\Civilization II Multiplayer Gold Edition\1.0]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MicroProse Software\Civilization II Multiplayer]
"DefaultLanguage"=dword:00000001

:)

If anyone wants it, here is my registry entry, renamed as .txt instead of .reg (to prevent accidental merge (import) in case of double click).

Top Bottom