Civ3/Civ4?

scooter

Prince
Just a question for all of you who still play Civ3, what keeps you from switching over to Civ4? Are there some of you who just haven't gotten it for a reason, or are there more of you who've actually played Civ4 but for w/e reason like Civ3 better. Just curious on what everybody here thinks.

A crap computer is holding me back. I also still enjoy civ3, but I'm itching to get a decent 'puter and play civ4 properly. I've only played 1/2 a game or so at a friend's place so far.

I just posted something similar in another thread, but here goes anyway...

I bought Civ4 when it first came out and also a brand new computer with a super graphics card and a lovely 19" flat panel monitor. My old machine wouldn't have handled Civ4.

It ran perfectly, but I quickly became bored to tears with Civ4. I just don't enjoy it, so I play only C3C now on my beautiful new computer. My Civ4 disk has been back in its box since mid-November and will probably never again see the light of day. :p

It's a very personal choice. Some people think C4 is wonderful and some dislike it. Some like it for multi-player only, but dislike it for personal games. Only way you'll find out if you like it is to try it (make sure your computer is wayyyy above the stated minimum specs though).

i play civ4, i like it, but it just doesnt have the one more turn feel of civ3. it's hard to explain, but when you play civ4 you think: should i play one more turn, nah, i'll be late for whatever. with civ3 you want to know what happens next

I got Civ4 for my anniversary in November, and returned it.

Comp wasn't good enough. I have a good enough one now, I just haven't bothered even d/ling the demo yet.

sanabas said:
A crap computer is holding me back. I also still enjoy civ3, but I'm itching to get a decent 'puter and play civ4 properly.
Same here, but i don't think i am going to get a new comp soon.

I was dissapointed with Civ4, and find Civ3 much more fun.

I have some minor problems with graphics for Civ4, but is still playable in my computer.

Well, the first screenshots from CIV4 told me to just let it pass. I'll probably get it some day, but not too soon. Still so many variants and fun for CIV3.

I have CivIV, and my computer runs it, but so far I have failed to get "into it" like I did with CivIII. I'll keep trying it out every now and then, 'cos you never know when the bug will bite.

I was put off by most (not all) of the screenshot. I just don't like the angular 3-D graphics.

Oh... and then there's the fact that it's not out for the Mac yet anyway.

... and the fact that when it DOES come out, I won't be able to run it on the Mac I have.

...aaaaaaaaand I'm fairly recent to Civ3 and I'm having so much fun with it and the different possibilities, tactics, Civs, etc.

Plus,I'm not a big gamer, in fact Civ is the only game I play and have played since DiabloII which was 2-3 years ago. So I don't anticipate any heartfelt yearning to move to CivIV anytime in the near futre.

I bought Civ 4 in November, quickly realized my computer was a little too slow to play it, but I did play a couple games. It ran ok, pretty jerky animation, and I just didn't get as excited about it. I really think that Civ3 is just a better game.

^That's gonna get deleted...

For some reason, Civ4 seems to have a mind of its own and just play on whatever computer it feels like playing on. A friend of mine got Civ4 and had an absolutely wonderful computer that went above and beyond the minimum requirements and the game was just total slowness and crappyness. I couldn't believe it. That was a dang good computer!

I found civ4 to be much like a point n click tour through the ages on auto pilot, I just never was full immersed,challanged or impressed, let me explain that matching [c3c] right of the bat was no easy task.

[c3c] was so good a buffer sequal was needed to test what it takes to improve upon a masterpiece. Civ4 told the designer what to build on and what to leave out. To recreate the old magic, the gods demanded a game be sacrified. Now the odds are Civ5 will be closer to the mark in capturing the same positive outpouring [c3c] was acclaimed with.

The mods/scenarios in C3C are so much better.
That being said, I have been playing Civilization 4 much more lately because of my mod (Age of Civilizations). ((Yes I work on it. ;)))

Civ4 looks really weird, but thats just because I havent played it. As for buying civ4 to try it, no thanks, I dont think my laptop has the energy to handle both civs.

But civ3 is awesome, I have civ3complete, which lets me play all 3 civs, [civ3], [ptw], and [c3c].:)

Top Bottom