Civ3 Combat Calculator

Delphi456

Prince
I was under the impression that Civ3 rounds down a unit's attack/defense values. So, a vet spearman on grassland would have a defense of 2.20, which gets rounded down to 2.00. Right? But the Civ3 Combat Calculator appears to use 2.20 for it's calculations. It gave the spearman a 55% chance of survival against a vet archer, when in reality it should be 50%.

Not sure what tool you used, but the combat calc (java) I use says it is 33.1-33.9 with 10000 runs. Looks about right to me. You will not kill spears at 50% with an archer, if both have the same HP.

@VMXA

1. I downloaded the calculator from this site ~ 5 yrs ago. I think it was written in VB. The version # is 1.36

2. Do you have any insight into the first part of my question, regarding 'rounding down'?

3. Assuming same HP each, I don't understand how you can think that an archer with attack 2 can statistically win less then a spearman with defense 2. It should be 50/50 for both. Think of it like this: If a red warrior attacks a blue warrior, each will win 50% of the time. If a red archer attacks a blue spearman that is no different than a red javelin warrior attacking a blue javelin warrior. So, how can a red javelin with stats of 2/2/1 win only ~ 33% of the time against a blue javelin with identical stats?

2- I do not know this for a fact, but I think it is rounded down, after all modifiers are applied.

1-I think I did use the one you are talking about, in the past. I found here a number of years back a better one. Better mainly as it could be used for army units battles and could handle some of the mods that provide more hit points.

3- well I do not agree with any of these postulations. First I think everyone that has played a great deal of AW will tell you an attacking warrior will fair far worse than 50/50.

If you have read many of the SG's played at AWE or better, you will often see them let that warrior attack their warrior, all other factors being equal.

I can tell you both from a statistical and a practical matter, the archer will not come close to 50%, even if the spear is not fortified and it will be most of the time. I ran a 100,000 battles and the odd only went to 34.2%.

Now understand that does not mean you will never see a string of archers killing spears. I have had them win 5 of 6 many times. That is just like any other event, std deviations tend to allow for runs.

since every terrain gives a DEFENSE VALUE, same attack as defense can NEVER give ou 50-50.
even flat land holds a 10% bonus for the defender.

t_x

If I understand how combat works correctly, an attacker must exceed a defender's defense value to knock of a defender's hit points. If the attack equals the defender's defense value, the attacker fails on that turn and loses a hit point. Since that essentially means that the defender wins in the event of a tie, the attacker is always going to be somewhere less than 50% when attack value and defense value are even.

since every terrain gives a DEFENSE VALUE, same attack as defense can NEVER give ou 50-50.
even flat land holds a 10% bonus for the defender.

t_x

I interpret this to mean that you DON'T think that the values are rounded down.

@VXMA

I only found 2 Combat Calculators on the Utilities site - neither of them java. Can you post the link where you got your version from?

Top Bottom