Civ3 Complete and mods - information gathering project

Drift

It's a boy!
I know next to nothing about Civ3 Complete, but it seems that it may have some compatibility issues with mods (mrtn said so ;) ). Conquests has been hard to come by lately (at least in Finland) so Complete is the version new players will prefer. If it really has problems running mods, we need to know about it as we are the ones answering the questions about our mods not working.

WH-mod has had some issues that may be related to Complete, but it seems that we can't be sure of it. Any other incidents? Any additional information about the subject?

Purpose of this thread is to gather all information about Civ3 Complete under one thread. At a Finnish gaming board I frequent, there are several people considering buying Complete and I would love to be able to tell them whether there really are issues they should know about. Especially I would like to know beforehand the answers to the possible questions people running Master of Myrror under Complete may have. Should we make patches of our mods for Complete or what's the deal?

Christmas is a time of sharing, so share your information if you have any. :)

Like I said, my information is based on mrtn's statement It seems it doesn't [work properly with mods]. I don't know if there are large or small problems... And people with Complete hasn't really been forthcoming in helping embryodead out with info on it...

It would be good news if Complete didn't have any problems with mods. I just want to be sure about it. Civ3 Gold had some issues (never got a good grip on them either) so it's quite possible that Complete has them too.

Sheesh (BTW this isn't a helpful comment), I sure hope they release "Civ4 Complete" right away instead of waiting for four years!!!

Mithadan-
what are they going to release as complete if they don't have any X-Packs done and just release it quickly? ;)

Drift said:
...It would be good news if Complete didn't have any problems with mods. I just want to be sure about it. Civ3 Gold had some issues (never got a good grip on them either) so it's quite possible that Complete has them too.
Well, my quote there should show I don't really know much about it. I'm even hazy on the difference between Gold (vanilla + PTW?) and Complete. That's what happens when you get given the first version of the game...
There's also been some downloadable versions of the game with really fooked stuff (like all the pcx's randomly renamed :lol: ).

We really should get hold of some newbies, and torture the information out of them. ;)

Well, it seems that this thread may have been over nothing. :crazyeye: No reports about Complete not working with mods apart from some uncertain feedback from WH-mod players. Well, I'm happy to know that to our current knowledge, Complete is a safe investment regarding mod compatibility.

Carry on. :)

I've not heard any issues, but then I presume you have a special version in Finland?

sourboy said:
I've not heard any issues, but then I presume you have a special version in Finland?

Nope. Some family and children's games are localized for Finland, but all others are english and often identical with UK-versions.

It's the Southern and Mid Europe that enjoy localizing their games and replacing actors' lines in tv-series/movies with voiceovers.

Well, again what I run into is that some people reported the mod doesn't work because their files and folders are named differently.

E.g. they are missing or have renamed some sound files. This applies especially to all sound files that were included in Civ3 but not used by the units. e.g. if you look at Archer folder, you can notice that it has "ArcherVictory.wav" file, but also several victory files that are not used by the unit. Some custom units were linked to these files and caused errors for those people.

What is much worse though, and pretty outrageous, is that those version of Civ3 has some very basic folders and files renamed. Instead of "Army Ancient Times" they have folder named "Army Ancient" and so on. This obviously screwes the mod over. I had to copy the folder and include it in a patch to make sure it works. There are so many such examples though that I can't be sure I fixed it all (some those people with "screwed" versions of Civ3 gave up and downloaded a "good" version instead, which solved all their problems).

This is sort of "expectable" if look for a logic here. When releasing a "complete" version of Civ3+expansions, the publisher repackaged the contents to fit them on one CD etc. He just had to make sure it all works as one package. I can understand removing obsolete files. However, with renaming the folders I'll be pretty straight. Whoever was responsible for this is a moron.

@ed

Were these people playing under Complete? I remember watching the discussion in WH-mod thread, but I don't remember seeing what that screwed version of the game was. It would be logical that it was Complete, but are we sure about it?

Usually it's hard to obtain such info from players, they are not sure themselves what they've bought ;) But some said clearly that it was Civ3:Complete, either in the thread or PM. Some said it was ordinary C3C released in northern Europe, which was supposedly different from the normal english release.

Top Bottom