Civ3 Complete on the newer Mac OS

Xman5eleven

Chieftain
Hi all,
I'm a big Civ3 fan... been playing it for years now, but I've been using the original version all this time. (not a very big fan of Civ 4 or 5). I'm thinking of buying Civ 3 Complete soon though.

I'm planning on getting a MacBook Pro this summer after 10.8 comes out, and I haven't really been up to date on compatibility issues with civ3/macs, but does anyone know if Civ 3 Complete will work on 10.8, or do we just have to wait and see? ALSO just wondering, does Civ 3 Complete work with 10.7?

I've tried searching around for it, and I keep coming across this issue with the 1.22 patch (Rev 1)... and also I've seen a few posts on Quicktime issues... not sure if they have anything to do with it.

But, yea, anyone have any insight on whether C3C works with 10.7/10.8, and if so, are there any certain programs/patches/updates i need to run to make it happen?

Thanks a bunch!

It runs fine on my 13" MacBook Pro running OS X Lion. As far as I know, the only issues I have seen reported in 10.7 are related to the larger screen-size Macs if you try to run it full screen. The Quicktime problems went away a long time ago. You absolutely need the Rev A patch, as that makes it a Universal application. The original release was PowerPC only, and will never run in Lion or Mountain Lion, as they do not support PPC code.

No one should be able to tell you whether 10.8 has any issues since it's a developer-only beta, released under NDA. A major reason for releasing betas to developers is for them to check compatibility with existing applications. Even if Civ3 did have problems with Mountain Lion, it's likely that any incompatibilities would be ironed out before it's release. So there's no guarantee they would still exist in the production version.

It runs fine on my 13" MacBook Pro running OS X Lion. As far as I know, the only issues I have seen reported in 10.7 are related to the larger screen-size Macs if you try to run it full screen. The Quicktime problems went away a long time ago. You absolutely need the Rev A patch, as that makes it a Universal application. The original release was PowerPC only, and will never run in Lion or Mountain Lion, as they do not support PPC code.

No one should be able to tell you whether 10.8 has any issues since it's a developer-only beta, released under NDA. A major reason for releasing betas to developers is for them to check compatibility with existing applications. Even if Civ3 did have problems with Mountain Lion, it's likely that any incompatibilities would be ironed out before it's release. So there's no guarantee they would still exist in the production version.

Thank you very much! I'm really glad to hear civ 3 isn't outdated in newer macs!
So would you recommend I wait until OS 10.8 comes out to get C3C or would it not matter?

I'm not in a position to recommend - it depends on your attitude to risk.

It's most likely it will run in 10.8 - it has survived the OS X upgrades from 10.4 to 10.7. But I'm not going to guarantee that for software that's at least 7 years old.

I have two versions of C3C - primary on my Mac Mini (10.6.8) and secondary Windows version running under XP via Parallels. I would imagine worse comes to worst you could at least run the Windows version in a similar setup. At least temporarily - while compatibility is ironed out.

To run the Windows version you would have to buy the Windows version and Windows itself - plus Parallels if you didn't want to use Bootcamp. The cost of that lot makes the <$20 for C3C/Mac look like small change.

I have tried running the Windows version under Parellels and Windows XP on a Macbook running 10.5.8 and gotten some wierd screen results. Do I need to run in under a certain display setting or in less than full screen mode?

Will the original Mac Version work under 10.5.8, or do I need something else?

Re. Parallels - Depends what problems you are seeing. What version of Parallels are you running?

If you mean the old MacSoft version, then I don't think it runs on recent OS X and Intel CPUs. You need Aspyr's Civ3 Complete for 10.5.8

Am just getting back into playing Civ3 Complete (Mac version) again after a couple years of hiatus (so long I forgot my CivFan password and registered again, sigh). Unfortunately I am seem to be stuck using v1.22A as the 1.29f updater (a Stuffit Installermaker 7.1.2 archive) hangs when I launch it on Mac OS X 10.6.8 Snow Leopard. Since it's copyright 2002 maybe I'm expecting a bit too much. LOL Looked all over the web for a zip version of the files but found nada.

Anyone have the files I need, or a solution to the updater hanging?

thx // frank

Hi, welcome (back) :wavey:

You don't need to update Civ3 Complete Rev A. Version 1.22A is the latest release from Aspyr.

The v1.29 updater was only relevant for the old MacSoft version, which is not what you have, and would not run on your Mac now anyway.

...now I'm not as confused as before.

Thx Alan.

Hi quick question: Recently had to upgrade from a G4 PPC to an Intel iMac (OS X 10.7.4). Neither C3C nor the Rev 1.22A installer will run, because "PPC applications are no longer supported." Yet I see some people seem to be running C3C on 10.7 systems. Am I missing something? Any help is appreciated. I loved C3C, and I just haven't been able to get into Civ5 the way Civ 3 worked for me. Thanks!

It may be that there is a catch 22 here. In order to run Civ3 Complete in Lion, it has to be the Rev A version, as the original release was PPC only, and required Rosetta to run. Rosetta is no longer available in Lion. However, the Rev A updater is a PPC-only program, so it will not run on Lion.

I am able to run Civ3 Complete on my Lion laptop, because I copied it across from my older OS, where I had already it updated to Rev A.

I think the only option you have is to raise this with Aspyr. They should provide you with a copy of the current version of the disk, or a download link, to enable you to install the Rev A software.

I guess plan B would be to find a friend with a Mac running a pre-Lion OS. Install and upgrade your software on that Mac, then copy it to a memory stick and transfer it to your Lion system. You just need to transfer the Civ3 Complete folder that's installed in /Applications/

Aspyr wasn't of any help. They're recommendation was to buy the game again and sell the CD on ebay. Plan B worked, however, and I now have C3C running on Lion, albeit with a few graphic glitches (the "unit death" and "unit cheering" animations don't run, and unit movement seems a little slower than it was on the old iBook G4). Haven't figured out how to overcome that, but at least it's playing.

Hi all,
Has anyone tried Civ 3 Complete with 10.8? How does it run? Does it run well with the Intel HD Graphics 4000 512MB? After a little bit of searching around here, I found that you have to download and install the Rev A Patch, and then also install the Aspyr fix to get it going on intel. Is this correct? Thanks a lot.

I was wondering particularly because it says under the game system requirements that "Intel integrated video chipsets are not supported." I hope this isn't a problem.

Hi.

Yes, you need the Rev A patch to make it Intel-compatible, as the original release was PowerPC only, and required the Rosetta layer in order to run on Intel - this is old software! :old: Rosetta is not supported by OS X 10.8. And I think the fix is needed to make the installer run. GateKeeper will need to be told that it's OK to run it, as it won't have a developer signature. Other than that, you should be OK.

There should be no problem with modern integrated chipsets. When Aspyr first released Complete, the Intel chipsets were rubbish for gaming, but the HD4000 is fine.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I just bought it and finally got it to run after I switched to window-mode. I got the download version so there was no need to get the rev A update. Game runs really well. Thanks a bunch!

Top Bottom