Civ3 Demogame Website Discussion

Chieftess

Retired Moderator
Demogame Website Version 3.0

Ok, we're about to get started on recreating the current demogame website. The old website can be seen here (you need to click the link to get to the old site). First, a brief history of the old website.

The old site came about in late DG1, when we wanted a site for the demogame, just like the GOTM site. Ideas were brought together, and an origanal site was designed around Civ3 Demogame 2. Fionn, FortyJ, and I worked on this site. Then, the next game, Fionn mostly took over, after we had asked Thunderfall to give it php/mySQL support (thus the different DNS -- demogame.civfanatics.net vs. www.civfanatics.net/~demogame as a username).

Version 1 - This was run by me, and Shaitan, then later, Fionn.
Version 2 - This was run by me, Fionn and FortyJ (cartographer).

Site Design - Fionn, being the artist that he is, decided to go for a high-graphical, many-featured User Interface.

#1 - One big problem right off the bat was that it was slow. Granted, more people have broadband now, but, that's still gonna choke up server bandwidth even more so.

#2 - Another feature was the use of frames, which can be annoying if you're viewing a page that's "trapped" inside the existing frame.

#3 - The third problem was that it would take forever to update constantly, and if we wanted others to help update, we would have to either:
a - Give them server permissions (bad idea).
b - Have them submit the content to me to Fionn, and have one of us put the content up, fiddling with directories and such.

#4 - Save for frames (which is generally seen as bad design practice these days for a host of reasons - accessability and legal), should we have decided to say, put a new menu option up, on a conventional website, every single page would have to be re-edited. Frames were a good idea for their time, almost a primative form of CMS.

So, that brings us to today.

Here's what we gain and lose by switching to CMS:

Gain:

* The ability to quickly update and add content to the page.
* The ability to quickly add or remove links to all (or some) pages at once.
* The ability to adjust and change the location of menu option with ease.
* The ability to set themes (seems to be an admin feature now, but could probably be tweaked).
* The ability to search the website.
* The ability to assign permissions to members to add content to specific areas of the page. (i.e., advisors could post some historical note, or Cyc could have a "Zojoji Blog" page all to himself for pictures and articles about his city).
* The ability to have a "Latest News" section. (displays at the top of the page, or whereever your template has it)
* The ability to have restricted menus. (i.e., if you wanted an ISDG page) That would need testing though, as I don't know if "restricted" will let you view a restricted image or not if you happened to find it in the directory by chance. (I doubt it though).

Lose:

* Flexability. You can only add content based on the available templates. From the CMS's I've seen, they don't like DHTML... However, there is a a "wrapper" template (framed) which allows you to link to a non-CMS page. This would be good if we wanted some javascript, or other interactive page. (I wished the CMS at work had this... something for me to program there! :yeah:). (Think of having an RPG on the CMS site!)
* Simplicity on the internal end. This thing can be complex to learn, especially for the editors (editors are those who add content). This is because there are so many templates, and you can't just easily write an HTML/php file and upload it. It doesn't have a nice HTML editor as if you were using FrontPage or Dreamweaver. However, you can still use HTML code.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

So, what now?

Well, we need to decide on what the main areas of content will be. Obviously, we'll have a main menu, but what content do we want on it? Do we want a "History Menu"?

Header Menu (this is the horizontal menu, like an application menu)
- Home
- News
- Contact Us
- Links
[search]

Main Menu
- Home
- News
- Links
- News Items

Demogame History (and their respected sub-menus)
- DG1
- DG2
- DG3
- DG4
- DG5

Current Demogame
- Demogame Constitution
- Join the Civ3 Demogame!
- Advisors
- Governors
- Screenshots

So I take it no one is really interested in the demogame website anymore, huh? .... It's supposed to be something fun in addition to the game. If you want more public exposure, then this is one way to do it.

It looks good, CT. I would definitely like to see the DG1 History moved to this new site (if it comes about). I'm not sure who's going to write the other 4 DG's History. ;) Who knows, maybe I'll go back and take another look.

I'm interested [you know], I just have nothing to add...

For content links on the left menu: I would put the current demogame menu above the past ones, and move the Join the demogame! link up to the top of the current demogame menu - just some organizational touches. Otherwise, remove the Mambo-related links, center the logo and bar above it (or rather extend it) if you can, and I'll be happy.

Could we have a section just for general information, like a newb section?

Gres said:
Could we have a section just for general information, like a newb section?

Sure. I think there's a FAQ template (most CMS software have one).

As for the history, I think we need some unbiased reporting... that doesn't show favoritism or grudges.

I'm going to see if I can make certain sections available to certain people only. i.e., a section for advisors to update posts.

*thinks to himself* There is no such thing as a dumb question.... There is no such thing as a dumb question...

umm..whats CMS...

All I know is the basic of HTML and a here and there advance stuff...

But yea this would be a great idea to have the site going again....

-TP

truckingpete said:
*thinks to himself* There is no such thing as a dumb question.... There is no such thing as a dumb question...

umm..whats CMS...

All I know is the basic of HTML and a here and there advance stuff...

But yea this would be a great idea to have the site going again....

-TP

That's a dumb question! :p

j/k!

Well, CMS is pretty much HTML, but in the form of templates. They could be written in:

HTML (using Server Side Includes) - A somewhat crude way of doing things.
PHP
ASP/ASP.NET
I'm pretty sure you could even do it in Javascript.

CMS means, "Content Management System". It helps you to organize your webpages so that all you have to worry about is the content, and how it looks. The format of the page can be changed anyway you want.

Example:

Say you wanted to move a menu from the right to left side of the page, and you have 500 pages. You'd have to edit those 500 pages normally. In a CMS, you only need to edit 1 template.

Chieftess said:
That's a dumb question! :p

j/k!

Well, CMS is pretty much HTML, but in the form of templates. They could be written in:

HTML (using Server Side Includes) - A somewhat crude way of doing things.
PHP
ASP/ASP.NET
I'm pretty sure you could even do it in Javascript.

CMS means, "Content Management System". It helps you to organize your webpages so that all you have to worry about is the content, and how it looks. The format of the page can be changed anyway you want.

Example:

Say you wanted to move a menu from the right to left side of the page, and you have 500 pages. You'd have to edit those 500 pages normally. In a CMS, you only need to edit 1 template.

Oh! I see what you mean...I think I did that before....but yea I know what your talking about....

Thanks!

- TP

I'll be parttime Webmaster if that position is available. Just starting to learn Dreamweaver :)

Chieftess said:
As for the history, I think we need some unbiased reporting... that doesn't show favoritism or grudges.

If you are referring to the DG1 History CT, that's a shame. What I wrote is all true. Go back and look at the DG1 forums. It's all there, if not in the posts, then in the chat logs. I still have most of it on disk. If your memory is a little biased with favoritism or grudges, I can't help that. I think you're just a conspiracy freak! :lol: j/k

Write a history up yourself, then CT. Then I can compare yours with mine. ;)

Cyc said:
Write a history up yourself, then CT. Then I can compare yours with mine. ;)

Why should she do that when she can just remove yours? :lol:

The homogenization of our beloved game continues....... :shakehead

The best thing we can do with the Website is make it simple to navigate the forums, which means it must be kept up to date constantly. Who here is up for that challenge? And be honest. :nono:

Donovan Zoi said:
The best thing we can do with the Website is make it simple to navigate the forums, which means it must be kept up to date constantly. Who here is up for that challenge? And be honest. :nono:

:raises hand:

Donovan Zoi said:
Why should she do that when she can just remove yours? :lol:

The homogenization of our beloved game continues....... :shakehead

You're probably right DZ. Mods have a way of making information disappear. But there's still a chance that the DG1 History will be transferred to the new site, who knows!

I have enough time and "experience" to be a website designer/ administrator.

I have replaced all of the missing "Museum" paintings in the Phoenatica National Art Museum. Can we get a link to it in the Historical portion of the website?

Top Bottom