1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

civ3 games not saving, can someone help?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Technical Support' started by justmatt, Jul 10, 2011.

1. justmatt

justmatt Chieftain

after the first about four times I saved games on civilization 3, whenever I'd save a new time period it would say it saved, and when I went to check load games it was there, but when i exited civ 3, when I came back it was gone, this has happened quite a few times with only those first 4 saves showing, ive tried saving over them but I get an error, can someone help?

2. Quintillus

Quintillus Archiving Civ3 Content Supporter

Sounds like what happened to me when I got a new Vista laptop in 2007. Are you running Vista or Windows 7?

Unfortunately, I never found a solution, so I eventually went back to XP so I could play Civ3 and have not gone back yet. But I know other people who didn't have any trouble playing Civ3 on Vista. Perhaps someone else will have a solution :(.

3. vmxa

vmxa Deity

I would suspect that at times you are running as admin and at times not. If you do not have admin and the game was installed as admin the saves cannot go into the x86 folder.

They will go to a USER/USER folder. Search for *.sav and see if you find them. If they are in a USER folder move them to the x86 and set the game to always run as admin.

In Win7 you can use the search at the menu button. When it finds them right click and select properties to get their location.

4. Imperialists

Imperialists Chieftain

ive try it over and over to find the save file on window7 they never will be there i watch the disk space on my cp slow go down by spaming saved games but i look and there no where.

from what i found you if you have civ complete edition you can not install it in to program files it wont let you ive try over 20 time to install the game in program files.

civ complete edition to work with save or any other game errors like the (ini) file one right click the game exe and run as admin and you could put run as admin all the time pretty sure everone know how to do that.

(civ 3 conquest) game users not complete edition users install your game in program files then once fully installed with updates right click the civ 3 folder in program files might be start with letter (A) go to security click adv. click owner. click edit click your small name no admin one then once you click yours at the bottom click replace owner on subcontainers and objects. clicl apply then go or click premissions. click change permissions click add. click adv. click find now. scoll down until you see your smaller name like the one in owner. click your name. click ok click full control. then click apple these permissions to object and or containers within this contanier only. click ok. THESE TWO ARE IMPORTANT AT THE BOTTOM CLICK INCLUDE INHERITABLE PERMISSIONS AND REPLACE ALL CHILD OBJECTS PERMISSIONS MAKE SURE BOTH OF THOSE ARE CK. MARKED. READ THIS BEFORE YOU CLICK OK IF TRUSTINSTALLER IS THERE CLICK REMOVED AND THEN CLICK OK. trust installer is evil and will like you to cry. after all that do the same thing to you full name with admin add. adv. find now. scoll down until you see you bigger name or might be at the very top it be the one with 2 heads. click ok click full control scoll down at the bottom and take off (take onwership)if you ont it might or wont give trust installer back full control then click apply these permission to object. then your down

those with civ 3 complete editions you can try to install in program file and or give your self permission but it hate you and wont let you program file i seen make ever game run faster so i req. install every game in program files forget about program file (x86) i hope this work for somepeople. ok one more thing if you get thing about give you self full control of you cp and you go to harddrive and change the security setting do not do not change onwer ship and ck mark the box and the bottom of you cp. it will you over so dont do it just letting you know XD

5. EvilConqueror

EvilConqueror Warlord

^ If you're still having trouble locating the save files, try looking here:

C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Infrogames Interactive\Civilization III\

Remember to change [username] to your actual computer username.

6. Puppeteer

Puppeteer Emperor

On Win7, Win8 or Vista I recommend uninstalling Civ and then reinstalling it in a different folder outside of Program Files. The video link in my sig shows how I installed Civ3 on Win7 to C:\Users\Public\Games\Civ3 . I haven't had any issues since doing this.

The long explanation involves words like VirtualStore, compatibility mode, privilege separation and user account controls. The short explanation is: uninstall, reinstall to a less troublesome place, play Civ3.

7. zerksees

zerksees in remission

Bingo! This worked. I did not understand they masked the whole thing that way. Thanks.

8. EvilConqueror

EvilConqueror Warlord

You're very welcome. :)