Civ3 High Score Hall of Fame

Respawning is bulls**t. It shouldn't even be an option.
When you're dead, you're dead - no comebacks

If I get myself killed off that quickly, will the AI allow me to respawn? Of course not - so why should it be allowed to?? :mad:

Originally posted by Bamspeedy
Question for Duke of Marlborough,

Do tournament games and GOTM's count for HoF? God was asking about it in the tournament forums, and submitted a game.

I think it was agreed that Tournament and GOTM games would not count for the HOF. As you said, it would allow many submissions of the 'same game'.

I also think each person should have a limit of 1 or 2 scores for each level, so no one could control all top 10 scores. If they beat one of their older scores, the lower score(s) would be dropped off the list. This gives more people a chance to at least get on the list.

This is actually how it is. I don't have it in the rules, but this is the criteria I follow. Each person is allowed 2 submissions per difficulty level.

BTW, Once more feedback on the new patch is heard, the parameters for playing the game may change.

Originally posted by Bamspeedy
So there goes all your goody huts! With the culturally linked starting locations turned off, you might still have the Americans and Aztecs in the game, but they won't always be right next to you. And if your real lucky you won't have any expansionist civs in the game. I can really dominate half the world while still in the ancient era if I get all the goody huts and make all the other poor civs give me cities out of tribute.
How do you benefit from those goody huts? I rarely get anything out of them except hostile barbarians.:(:cry:

Originally posted by Moonsinger

How do you benefit from those goody huts? I rarely get anything out of them except hostile barbarians.:(:cry:

If you are Expansionist you can NOT get barbarians from the huts. You get TECHS, Settlers, Maps, Gold etc quite often. On huge maps, or even large maps have I gotten the whole first tech tree out of goodie huts.

Originally posted by Grey Fox
If you are Expansionist you can NOT get barbarians from the huts. You get TECHS, Settlers, Maps, Gold etc quite often. On huge maps, or even large maps have I gotten the whole first tech tree out of goodie huts.
Thank you! Thank you!:) I didn't know that. I have never played the Expansion civ before, but now I have something to look forward to.:)

PS: I hope I made it to the Hall of Fame list.:) I can't wait to try out some of the milking tips I just learned from this forum.

what a laugher. I just tried my first kick butt in the ancient era game. Worked out a bit too well. Was cruising along just wasting the other civs around me, assimilating civs, got a whole 800 points in 300 ad. Trigger dom victory in 490 ad end up with 7199 points, #3 for the monarch level. If I needed any more convincing that the scoring system for this game is screwed, I just got it.
Nice way to spend the next to last day of vacation( yes its raining out).

Dikwhit

if you look at regent game

1 Bamspeedy 10305 Huge Spaceship

if a regent game can score that this meant an emperor can easily score 15k point
and monarch

2 SirPleb 8632 Standard Diplomatic
if with a standart game someone can score 8632 by milking this meant that on huge you can probably easily score 15,000 point

around twice your score.

the problem with the HoF is that It's not updated often enought and not enought or that not enought poeple send in submission.

By my statement that the scoring system is screwed, I was in agreement with many others on several points.
My biggest gripe is that the game rewards a blitzkrieg playstyle, not a builder. After all the name is the game is civilization, not command and conquer.I normally play milker style, build everything useful in every city, most of the wonders etc. This "more civilized" play style has no real rewards, in the score column.It takes many days of quality milking on a huge map to score big.Or 4-5 hours blitzing a standard size. Where is the incentive for long term planning?
I have outscored my hof submission on huge maps playing builder, but not by a heck of alot, and it wasnt submitted due to custom map. 300+ cities improvements maxed, #1 in most demographics, all but 3 wonders etc etc and I get 8000 ish points. 30 cities ,all ancient wonders(built none), 3% literacy
:lol: 40 % approval and 20 life expectancy and I end up with 7200? your kidding,,, right?

As to Badlucksff, point of equating scores, it doesnt work exactly that way. First those wer both milked games im sure.Scoring comes from difficulty level warlord=1 deity=6. Regent to monarch is only a 33% increase not a 50 % and it was on huge not standard, a difference Im too worn out to figure out,lol
Second, comparing anyone to sirpleb(or aeson) is not exactly a fair argument, their scoring ability (and bams) is well known.
I wasnt saying how great a job I did, rather I was upset that that POS game will get me on the HOF. Now I have to beat it with a milking game just to make me feel better.

a-milking-we-will-go, a-milking-we-will-go.....

it has been pointed out that the object of the game is to maximise both territory and happy population. a good score comes from doing this consistently throughout the game.

i think the scoring system reflects this as best as it can.

it has been pointed out that the object of the game is to maximise both territory and happy population. a good score comes from doing this consistently throughout the game.

i think the scoring system reflects this as best as it can.

Yes, as far as reflecting happiness/territory per turn it does reflect that pretty accurately. But what dikwhit is referring to is that in his game where he didn't have very many happy people at all and didn't build much infrastructure at all, he scored better than on the game where he made everyone happy and built all the improvements. This is where the early win bonus comes in. If you win at 400 A.D. you do get a very large bonus to your score.

I think he's wishing you should get points for wonders and improvements (not just the happiness improvements).

The key to max score is to get almost to the domination limit at 400 A.D., like dikwhit did, but stop before triggering domination, then build all the happiness improvements. And milk it to 2050 A.D. You really increase in points after you get hospitals and railroads.

There should be a better balance on the scoring system, so that it isn't that on tiny/small maps the only way to get a high score is to finish early, and on large/huge maps the only way to score big is to milk until 2050 A.D.

You should get a Higher bonus for early games at Larger maps, and less on smaller.

Making it possible to get a High score if you are fast enough on the larger maps. (for an early win).

Maybe the Hof should be divided between the different Map Sizes, because you can never beat a Good Milked Huge Map with a Large, or Standard map.

I know Aeson is working on a Score now that will beat SirPlebs score by an enourmous amount. (Almost double...)

But then Sir Pleb will come back to beat out Aeson. The cycle won't end.

I've heard its 65K. How the hell do you do that? How the hell can you have enough time in diety game to build enought Mounted Warriors and Knights to finish off everbody so early.
Its unbelievely.

aeson or sirpleb - who will reach the maximum score possible first? could have made this into a poll but that would have spawned a new thread (i'm not sure that's really a bad thing but....)

Bamspeedy has it completly on the head. My big issue is with the fact that seek and destroy games can score almost outscore milked, time intensive games, with notable exceptions.(Aeson and Sirpleb being the main exceptions).I can see where the early finish bonus can be huge, and well deserved BUT where is some kind of bonus for improvements,wonders,demographic leadership, etc..
For the average joe there is not much incentive to play a long involved game (scorewise), when a whambamthankyamaam game scores equivelently. I prefer the build an empire style as opposed to the kick a$$ asap. For those of you in grey foxs tourny, I have learned the hard way quickly, in most cases the builder style is fairly useless, culture and score games not withstanding as the seek and destroy method must be employed early, and then either wait for cultural vic. or milk for score.That is if one wants to compete effectively anyway.
To boil it down, final score vs. time invested just doesnt pan out in most cases.

The early bonus is only large on the smaller maps, because you can't win as early on larger maps.

I sent the files to Thunderfall for the latest update. As soon as he has some time, the HOF Page will be updated (It includes all games I received up to 05-12-02). [It's updated :)]

Thanks to everyone for their understanding and patience.

Even though each level already had 10 submissions, there were almost 30 new ones added to the list. So, if you were on the list before, you may not be anymore. Be sure to send in a new game and show off your improved skills.

The previously highest scoring game by SirPleb of 44313 points was replaced by Aeson with 63545 points!! :eek:

:goodjob: Congrats to everyone who was (finally) added to the list.

Edit: In a shift of duties, I will be taking over the Civ 2 GOTM and PaleHorse76 will be maintaining the Civ 3 HOF. If all goes as planned, when the HOF is updated, it should have all his info on it. But, until then, please send all new submissions to PaleHorse76@civfanatics.net. Many thanks to PH for offering to take over the HOF. :)

Thanks for supporting the Civ 3 HOF and I wish you all luck. And, if PH puts his name in all the slots, let me know. ;)

Thank you for updating the HoF. I did make it on the list.:)[dance]

PS: I'm curently milking my first game at the Monarch Level. Just a practice run to check out those milking technique.;)

Nice job, Sir Pleb, Aeson, Moonsinger and Wohmong...

Finally the HOF is updated. I'm glad that now the Emperor scores are alot higher then they were before. Before the regent games had an overall higher score average than the emperor!!!.

Monarch is probably the toughest division. There are alot of high scores for a monarch level.

My current monarch game is predicted to get atleast 8000 points, as Sir Plebs Scorecalculator is predicting.

Emperor has alot more possible spots but its too hard. I'm doing ok on monarch. Thinking of going back to regent.

Top Bottom