Civ3 High Score Hall of Fame

welcome JFL_Dragon
Originally posted by JFL_Dragon
The Hall of fame represents a variety of different patches. Personally I would archive old games using old patches but I think most people want the old scores to remain.
Not sure what you mean by this.
Would it be possible then next to the huge,large etc the actual size of the map. Eg The Huge (180). as the 1.21 patch maximum is (160) At least this would give more credit for players playing on a different size map ?
Good idea, I am still rethinking that way the page is setup. It would all depend on the input I get as to whether I should archive the old scores or leave them up. I would liek to put as much information up as possibly...we will see.
Also would it be possible to put the version there also but this may be difficult to check.
I was also thinking of putting this up, and yes it would be difficult to determine this...if not impossible. Looking into this.
Other hall of fame ideas could be possible best score using one of the harder civs listed in the war academy or the fastest spaceship launch.
The fastest win by different category is an idea that I like...victory by certain civs is an idea that is possible but coming out an saying a certain civ is harder than another is more difficult as one person may only use Civ X because they think it is awesome while another will say that Civ X is the worst ever.

Just a question with the Hall of Fame submissions. How strict are we with the saved games. For example say you save and submit your game at 4000BC, 50AD (instead of 10AD) and 2049AD the turn before victory.

Is this acceptable or will it be rejected. I ask because I have a game at the moment and I missed the 10AD save.

Cheers

JFL_Dragon

How much did you miss it by?

There shouldn't be really any problem. I submitted a game with like about a 1000 BC save instead of 4000 BC.

If it's 50 A.D., it should be accepted. 10 A.D. is just a general guideline. They only want a save around that time, so people have an idea of how you played. Usually, if I remember at 50 A.D. that I had forgot to save at 10 A.D., I'll save the game at 50 A.D., then load up the auto-save (which has the previous 5 or so turns) and save it as a regular save at 10 A.D. (or the closest), then load my current save back up and continue.

50AD is good......1000BC instead of 4000BC? Not acceptable. I don't see how you can forget to save the very first one but I could accept a submission a few turns after 4000BC, like 3800BC or so.
God, did you submit that to me or Duke?

Why do we need the 4000 BC save? I always seem forget to save that one..., and if I have played like 3000 Years and I suddenly remember that I forgot the 4000 BC save, do I have to restart a new map?

The 4000BC save is to show that the player actually started out with the default units and normal starting conditions...
Not saving the game is like not picking enough rivals...it sucks that it happened but there are rules and there is a certain amount of flexibility in them but some of them are prety much set in stone.

I've got one I'm playing and forgot the 10AD save. I saved it at about 350AD. Is that o.k? I got the 4000BC, but forgot the middle save. Is this one of those sux to be me or will it be accepted if the final score is high enough?

Ok it wasn't a 1000 BC game, it probably was earlier. I'm guessing. I know I missed the date though. I submitted it to Duke.

Anyway I've downloaded alot of HOF games, and there are some that don't have the required dates.

350 shouldn't be too bad, as long as you didn't finish the game in 400 AD. ;) I wish we had the option with autosave to not write over the older saves....especially since they are now compressed.

Originally posted by PaleHorse76
350 shouldn't be too bad, as long as you didn't finish the game in 400 AD. ;) I wish we had the option with autosave to not write over the older saves....especially since they are now compressed.

Phewww... Glad to hear it. I'm doing O.K. on this one--hopefully I'll be sending it to you for the HOF.

From wading through ALL of the posts on this thread, it seems culturally linked has to be checked (even though I'm getting tired of seeing the same rivals beside me) and respawing has to be checked also, but it's not crystal clear. Would you mind clarifying c-link and respawing. I think you should add the answer to the rules page for the HOF. Thx.

:slay:

oh well guess im done playing hof attempts , now we got 2 have 3 saves? This is starting to get ridiculous
1) 3 saved games
2)culturally linked on?
3)respawning on?
4)different versions?
5) size differenetials in 1.21 vs. previously

IMHO you guys are really trying to turn this into work and not fun as its supposed to be.

I was thinking of starting a map for HOF. But I have a basic setup question.

If you have a standard install and installed patch 1.21f do you have to make any mods to the BIC file to create a valid HOF game?

Personally I like the idea of having the 4000 BC game in the HOF save, so you can compare your results to theirs. Can you use someone else's 4000 BC game to start a HOF game?

Thanks.

Cartouche Bee

If you have a standard install and installed patch 1.21f do you have to make any mods to the BIC file to create a valid HOF game?

No, for HoF games, it's using the regular rules that came with the game (or patches). Changes in the .Bic file are not accepted.

Personally I like the idea of having the 4000 BC game in the HOF save, so you can compare your results to theirs. Can you use someone else's 4000 BC game to start a HOF game?

Part of the reason for the 4000 BC game is so people can play the game with the same map and civs and see how you compare to the high scorers. But I highly doubt you could submit the game though. I'm sure they don't want to see several scores all played on the same map, for the same reason that tournament and GOTM games don't count for HoF.

oh well guess im done playing hof attempts , now we got 2 have 3 saves? This is starting to get ridiculous

1) 3 saved games
2)culturally linked on?
3)respawning on?
4)different versions?
5) size differenetials in 1.21 vs. previously

Well, in other tournaments (GoTm), the 10 AD save is optional, but most players make sure they send that save. Obviously everyone has the 4000 B.C. save so that's why in those tournaments they don't ask for that save. The reason for the 4000 B.C. is for a couple reasons, one that Cartouche Bee mentioned (to see if you can outscore someone when you play on the exact same map) and the possible exploits that Palehorse mentioned. For example, someone could adjust a unit's stats that gives them an unfair advantage early in the game, and the unit becomes obsolete later on, and won't be detected in late saves, or at the end of the game. But with v1.21f any rule changes are made to the game are added to the save, so if anyone played that map starting at 4000 B.C. would come across these exploits.

If you have auto-save on at all times, the game makes and always keeps the 4000 B.C. save.

I don't like the culturally linked, either, but in previous patches it was an option in the preferences, but now it is more viewed as a rule, since it's on the same screen as the victory conditions, etc. And HoF and GoTM like to go by fireaxis's standard rules. Respawning wasn't even an option prior to v1.21f.

For almost all patches, any adjustments that were made didn't really affect the scoring potential a whole lot, so it didn't matter. But with the latest patch, the map (huge and large maps) is 20% smaller, so you have 20% lower scoring potential. But, like has been mentioned before, all of the scores (except Aeson's and Sir Plebs scores on Deity) should be beatable, even with the smaller map, because none of them have been seriously milked.

Respawning wasn't even an option prior to v1.21f.

Not sure if respawning actually happens in 1.21f. In 3 tournament games on 1.21 I only have seen a couple of reincarnations that easily can be explained by the lone settler on a ship phenomenon.

For the rules, I believe those should be clear and strict but also reviewed at times. The culturally linked setting might be subject to discussion because it more or less determines how you develop in the early ages and the posts in this thread indicate that a couple of tries before a map is played is accepted. So IMHO that kills the cultural link because you know when you can beat your most likely neighbours and that would vote for that option to be switched off.

The culturally linked setting might be subject to discussion because it more or less determines how you develop in the early ages and the posts in this thread indicate that a couple of tries before a map is played is accepted. So IMHO that kills the cultural link because you know when you can beat your most likely neighbours and that would vote for that option to be switched off

Not sure exactly what you mean here. I'll start some games, but if I see that I am not in a good starting position, I'll start a new game. Playing a few turns to find out who your neighbors are and then starting that same game over at 4000 B.C. is not acceptable. I've played the first 50 moves or so of probably 40-50 games, trying to find a real good map. Some of them look promising at the start, but then something is always wrong with them (like luxuries and/or horses are miles away from me, or the AI starts with Iron right under their capital, so I can't use a scout to deny them Iron, or the huts don't give me much, etc).

Playing as the Americans, the Aztecs and Iroquios are almost always in the game ( I had one game out of those 50 games where neither of them were in the game), but I found out, that they don't always start as your neighbors. They sometimes end up on an island, or on the other side of the world. In these cases, then England or Russia is my neighbor. :mad:

Not sure if respawning actually happens in 1.21f. In 3 tournament games on 1.21 I only have seen a couple of reincarnations that easily can be explained by the lone settler on a ship phenomenon.

There seems to be factors that determine whether or not a civ re-spawns. They will re-spawn if there is a large enough area that is un-settled AND is in no-one's fog-of-war (similar to barbarian camps re-spawning). So if there are units all over the map, the AI can't re-spawn. I played a pangea map, and the Russians did not have map-making yet, and I had closed off the only chokepoint that they could have used to contact the other civs. I capture moscow, they end up on the other side of the chokepoint (about 30-50 tiles away from the chokepoint in fact) and end up just 7 tiles from the English, so then would have contact with everyone in just a couple more turns. Do you think Russia somehow built a settler and got him through the chokepoint, before I closed the chokepoint and had him wondering 75 tiles away from the capital? Yes, this was with v1.21f.

Originally posted by Bamspeedy

Not sure exactly what you mean here. I'll start some games, but if I see that I am not in a good starting position, I'll start a new game. Playing a few turns to find out who your neighbors are and then starting that same game over at 4000 B.C. is not acceptable.

Agree, I meant trying different maps. Makes sense btw, because a good HOF requires days if not weeks.

Playing as the Americans, the Aztecs and Iroquios are almost always in the game ( I had one game out of those 50 games where neither of them were in the game), but I found out, that they don't always start as your neighbors. They sometimes end up on an island, or on the other side of the world. In these cases, then England or Russia is my neighbor. :mad:

And all of them have pro's and con's, still one is evaluating chances after a couple of hours.

There seems to be factors that determine whether or not a civ re-spawns. They will re-spawn if there is a large enough area that is un-settled AND is in no-one's fog-of-war (similar to barbarian camps re-spawning). So if there are units all over the map, the AI can't re-spawn. I played a pangea map, and the Russians did not have map-making yet, and I had closed off the only chokepoint that they could have used to contact the other civs. I capture moscow, they end up on the other side of the chokepoint (about 30-50 tiles away from the chokepoint in fact) and end up just 7 tiles from the English, so then would have contact with everyone in just a couple more turns. Do you think Russia somehow built a settler and got him through the chokepoint, before I closed the chokepoint and had him wondering 75 tiles away from the capital? Yes, this was with v1.21f.

Bamspeedy, if that is what happenend it is a hard assumption that the Russians walk that far, point taken!

BTW Can someone tell me please how many scores you can have in the hall of fame per level ?

The web page says 2, but i read about it going to 1 ?

Cheers

JFL_Dragon

It used to be that you can have 2, but now Palehorse is thinking of (or has) changed it to 1 per level. You can of course still play a level that you have a score for, but the lower score would be dropped from the list.

Originally posted by Cartouche Bee

Nah, unless you have never looked at their end game, you can never compare your results to theirs. This is one reason why I have never played on the Earth map and any predefine map; I like to discover the world as I go. If I already know the map of the world in advance, the game wouldn't be fun anymore. Since you are looking at their end-game, you already know the basic shape of the world, therefore, from that point forward, you are not competting on the same level as they are; therefore, it's not fair to compare your results to theirs.

Let's me put it this way...Many people has been to the Moon and back, but only the first person, the first crew, and the first ship that successfully got to the Moon will be forever in the world of Human Achivement HoF.;)

Top Bottom