1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ3 High Score Hall of Fame

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Hall of Fame Discussion' started by Thunderfall, Dec 11, 2001.

1. Cartouche Bee

Cartouche Bee Appropriations Consultant

Moonsinger, very few have made it to the moon! I've only looked at one HOF entry and that was SirPleb's Deity 34000. If I were to try one of the games on the side I would not look at their end game but your point is well taken. Apparently it was a naive inquiry cause of course looking at the endgame would be far too revealing and would spoil the quest.

I ballpark a maps potential score with a very simple equation (It assumes the game is well in hand by 1400 AD; of course if the game goes better...):

domination_limit_squares*4*play_difficulty/2

Currently there are not too many posted games that hit that mark, so other than deity level the field is pretty wide open (for now). Most current scores could be topped on a standard size map (not all). But I'll wait for my next computer before doing a huge map. ;) If you look in your rear view mirror, that little blip is me. :D

CB

2. RufRydyr

RufRydyr QSC Map Maker

:confused:

How about a POLL??? especially on culturally-linked since that one really sux IMO. then.....make a decison and put it on the HOF page. Nobody should have to read all the posts just to determine what the rules are. Even if you don't have a poll palehorse, i would really like to see all the rules posted on the page. thx.

3. dikwhit

dikwhit Warlord

btw the 4000ad save is there only if you havent started another game. LIke I said this is slowly but surely turning into the IRS----- A lot of different statements and no 1 really knows what the rules are, short of reading 16 pages(as of now). This is supposed to be FUN and casual, not a job we dont get paid for.

As a side note..... all i sent in for my hof entry was the final save.... if this is such a big issue please remove my hof entry from the list.

A great man once said "any society that requires identification cards is not fit to live in" , well its starting to sound alot like we need ID cards to be in the HOF

4. RufRydyr

RufRydyr QSC Map Maker

also.....since their is no way to check to see if someone restarted or not, why not make restarts allowed. in my current game, i haven't restarted once, but i have restarted back a few years many times before and drastically changed a bad outcome. it's interesting to note that as i tried to get a clarification of the rules, others don't seem to know what they are either. that's another reason to put ALL the rules on the HOF page. and....

when r the scores going to be updated?????

5. Bamspeedy

Bamspeedy We'll dig up the road!

I certainly don't see the connection of comparing an extra save and a couple rules to national ID cards :rolleyes: .

I guess the only way to have fun is to have no rules :crazyeye:

~I'm gonna go start a 255 X 255 size map made up entirely of bonus grassland with all 8 luxuries right by my capital, with 1 opponent.~

6. MuddyOne

MuddyOne Warlord

If restarts were allowed, they should just provide a map and see who can score highest on it. It would show best early attackers/most patience with reloading.

Cartouche Bee,
    domination_limit_squares*2*play_difficulty would be slightly easier to remember/do.

7. JFL_Dragon

JFL_Dragon Civfanatics Staff

Roloading/Restarts would really eliminate a major portion of the skill required, and allowing these scores in the hall of fame would in my opinion show little repect to good players.

I know there is no way of checking and everything relies upon the honesty of submissions, but at the moment I suppose thats the best they can do. Also there being no prize money involved there is even less reason for those tempted to reload.

Cheers

JFL_Dragon

8. damunzy

damunzy recovering former mod Retired Moderator

The Rules as contained on the HOF page:
    Submission Guidelines:

1.Play a winning game on either a Standard, Large, or Huge Map and try to get as high a score as possible.
    • Only play on random maps. Games played on pre-made maps or world maps will not be accepted.
    • Do not cheat! Any games suspected of cheating will not be processed. Any games that are later found to have been cheated will be removed. Your game can only be modified by patches/updates or Modpacks that affect graphics ONLY.
    • When playing a game, it must be either a Standard, Large, or Huge Map. It must be a computer generated map, allowing all victory conditions and random selection of at least four computer opponents (see below). The computer opponents must be random selections. You can select your preference on Type of land mass and water amount, as well as Barb activity and difficulty level.

For a Standard Map you would need to have at least four rivals.
      For a Large Map you would need to have at least six rivals.
      For a Huge Map you would need to have at least eight rivals.
    2. Save your game just BEFORE you end the game.
    3. Gather the following information:
    • Site Name or Nickname
    • Difficulty level
    • Map size (Standard, Large, or Huge) Tiny and Small maps are currently not being accepted
    • Score
    • Way of finish (Conquest, Domination, Diplomatic, Cultural, Spaceship, or Histograph)
    • Civilization you played the game as (English, Aztec, etc...)
    • Year the game ended
    • Saved game files together as one .zip file if possible.
      Submit your 4000BC, 10AD, and the turn before the game ends.
    • Directions on how to finish the game as a .txt file, if needed.
    4. Send it to Palehorse76! Don't forget to attach the saved game with your email...

9. damunzy

Restarts are not allowed and I will place this in the rules....it is an oversight that they are not in there as it is assumed that everyone should know this....we know what happens when you assume. :D This does rely on the honesty of people and there isn't much we can do unless Firaxis puts some kind of system in place for us...
    Sorry, I really am. I have been really busy in life, with my car breaking down and all the other crap going on. I have plenty of time for the fora b/c I can access it at work but doing the page and checkign the games can only be done at home. I spend a total of 10-1/2 hours with work and driving, 8 hours sleeping if lucky, so that leaves me 5.5 hours to live every day.

10. damunzy

currently there is nothing in the rules about this. I have no problems with people turning off items that are selectable from the startup screen...if the rules don't state otherwise. The things that you are not allowed to modify is stuff like lethal bombard and other things that can only be accessed thru the editor. I am going to close this thread soon and start a new one as it is getting too big.

Remember this rule:
    Since these options are not covered I wouldn't penalize you for toggling them on/off.

Currently it is 2 but it will be changed to 1. At that time the lowest score of those people that are listed twice on the HOF will be dropped and all other scores will raise accordingly. So this means some people that were pushed off the HOF will be back on it.
    I know you are joking but there will be a category for that some day!!!
    I am trying to keep this from being as unweildy as the IRS. ;) the less rules the better...so if you don't see it in the rules then you can do it....If it comes down to the game being submitted but not deemed acceptable b/c it bends the rules too much you will be the one that gets a new rule made in their honor. :p

11. dikwhit

dikwhit Warlord

ok 1 i still dont see answered pale horse. Culturally linked..... on.... off.... doesnt matter?

12. Moonsinger

Moonsinger Settler Retired Moderator

No hurry for me, please take your time.:) Maybe we could have a "recently submited - but not yet verified" list for the HoF; that way, some of us may be able to help you with the verification process. I usually download most of those games to see how they did it anyway.

13. RufRydyr

RufRydyr QSC Map Maker

:goodjob: thanks for answering so quickly. hang in there with car and everything.

>Maybe we could have a "recently submited - but not yet >verified" list for the HoF; that way, some of us may be able to >help you with the verification process. I usually download most >of those games to see how they did it anyway.

idea: in addition to a new HOF thread, how about a 2nd thread for new submissions? people could post their 'unverified' score and info and attach the 3 saves. after you've officially verified them, move them to HOF and delete from thread. this would also give ppl a chance to get a sneak peek and might be able to disqualify some without you having to go to the trouble to review them. just my .02 cents and current babble...

you're doing a great job palehorse! thanks for working so hard on this.

14. Moonsinger

Moonsinger Settler Retired Moderator

Good idea!:goodjob:

15. RufRydyr

RufRydyr QSC Map Maker

palehorse said "currently there is nothing in the rules about this. I have no problems with people turning off items that are selectable from the startup screen...if the rules don't state otherwise." and was referring to culturally linked and respawning IMO.

16. damunzy

Correct. Although I might draw some fire over the respawning part.....remember if enough ppl complain it can be changed. :) BUT as I said in my other post, I don't want this to be as unweildy as the IRS.

For the non-American's that don't know the IRS, it is the Internal Revenue Service (da taxman!!!), where you have to prove your innocence...which is contrary to the rest of our gov't system. ;)

17. JFL_Dragon

JFL_Dragon Civfanatics Staff

Can someone please confirm that sea tiles are included in your demographic data but are not used at all in your calculation of your territory score.

Cheers

JFL_Dragon

18. Bamspeedy

Sea tiles are included in your territory score (and the demographics screen), but does NOT count towards the domination limit. So those are free points! Domination is land tiles + coastal tiles. Download mapstat it helps alot for knowing how close to domination you are.

19. Bamspeedy

Ok, culturally-linked can be turned off, which makes sense, because in previous patches this was an option not a rule.

Respawning- I hate this and would love to not allow respawning. However, in previous patches it was not an option. But, perhaps this could be used to help offset the fact that the maps are smaller now. So, on the smaller maps, you don't have the maximum territory and population possible to milk, but this can be offset by killing off the AI and not having them re-spawn, so you can reach the domination limit faster.

In some games re-spawning won't matter, but if someone kills off 4 civs in the B.C.'s....
    I would just like a final answer on the re-spawning before I start another game.

20. Cartouche Bee

Cartouche Bee Appropriations Consultant

Respawning:

HOF games will basically be milk runs (dominations) so a civ that respawns will just be a bug on the windshield! Too bad, so sad, you have to smash another city, who cares who it belongs to?

CB