1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ3 - Not a valid save file

Discussion in 'Civ3 Conquests - Bug Reports' started by LeanGimpy, Sep 20, 2011.

1. LeanGimpy

LeanGimpy Chieftain

Playing Civ3 Complete on new build using OS Windows7 Ultimate (64bit) instead of XP Professional (32bit) on my older rig. Never had a problem before.
    Playing 'Domination' on large map.
    My first runthrough, and all going well for about 300 turns (1918AD), when on loading I get message 'Not a valid save file'. I've tried loading earlier saves and the same flag appears. Compatabillity doesn't solve. Suspect this may be just a spot bug on this particular runthough, but if it occurs only occasionally after between 50 and 100 hours of gameplay I'm never going to get a game finished.
    Don't really want to abandon game.
    Does anyone have a fix?
    Thanks in anticipation

2. vmxa

vmxa Chieftain

Post it and we can take a look. Have you used any other tools on the save?

3. LeanGimpy

LeanGimpy Chieftain

bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb

4. LeanGimpy

LeanGimpy Chieftain

Thanks 'vmxa' for reply, have screenshot and having problem pasting.
    Not tried using any other tools, only tried opening the save files in my 'F' drive to see if they will open, but no difference.

5. vmxa

vmxa Chieftain

Use the "Reply" button, rather than the "quick reply". Scroll down to find mnage attachments. Then browse to select the file or wscreenshots/ Use the upload button to load from pc to site.

6. LeanGimpy

LeanGimpy Chieftain

Thanks for the reply 'vmxa'.
    I have followed your advice and uploaded to site under box headed 'Additional Options - Manage Attachments' a 'PNG Civ3 Screenshot'. How can this be transferred to the 'reply' as a picture.
    Since the last post, I thought I'd try resolving issue by uninstalling Civ3, retain all save files, and then reinstall. However, being new to Windows7, I have another problem, that would not arise with XP.
    My new build has an SSD as the primary and a HDD as the seconary drive. OS, drivers, windows files, etc. are on primary drive and Civ3 on secondary drive.
    Windows7 'control panel' listed programes appear only to incorporate the primary drive programmes so can't uninstall there. Under 'All Programes' the 'Uninstall' button doesn't work, And when I try opening 'Computer', and exploring the drive, the computer will not allow me to 'Delete' Civ3. Says I have files open when I haven't.
    Any idea how I can otherwise uninstall Civ3.
    Civ3 Screeshot.PNG

7. LeanGimpy

LeanGimpy Chieftain

Seems that the Attachment button solves the problem, Sorry about the size of the shot. Obviously reduced it too much.

8. vmxa

vmxa Chieftain

I found a free tool called Revo Uninstaller that you could try. I have not used a solid state drive, but it seems Win7 is not behaving proprerly with one. Does the windows task manager show any task running that could be using the files?

I would do two things:
    search in Microsofts data base for similar problems.
    Google search for them. I have found help with strange issues that way in the past.