Civ4 and GOTM

shumble

Emperor
I wonder if the release of CIV4 will affect the number of participants in the Games of the Month from here forward.

I myself will not be able to purchase the game until December, but I'm wondering what others might think?

I'm expecting a significant initial dropoff, followed by a slow decline in numbers until about CivV... Hopefully all the top cats will switch to cIV GOTM, and us little mice can storm the Civ3 GPR :banana:

Mind you, I thought the number of participants got a boost with the budget/complete release of Civ3, so maybe these people won't be early cIV adopters.

For my next stats project, I was thinking of graphing the number of GOTM participants and the changing shape of the GPR over time... the release of cIV might add a bit of spice to the results.

Fine, PaperBeetle, I am very much interested in the results. Let me know, when you have finished. Concerning myself, I think I will prefer Civ 3 GOTM's. I have also Civ 4, but the moves are getting too long in the later ages, when you have many units, due to the unit movement animations. I don't have so much time to play a GOTM and Civ3 is a perfect challenge, when you have so good human competitors all over the world.

That's a very interesting topic, i don't know yet will i be playing civ3 gotms after i get civ4 (and i hope to get it soon). It would be interesting to see how many people continue playing, especially the top players. If all or most of them will move to civ4 then the game will be less interesting for me because of decreased competition and this means that i'll also be more likely to quit civ3 gotms. Maybe someone should start a poll (i don't know how to do it).

I'll be playing Civ3 GOTMs for several months at least.
I don't plan on getting Civ4 in another half-year or so, as I predict it will be buggy and will need patches.

But if I see that's it's really good, I might switch to that. I'll never play Civ2 ever again, if Civ4 would be the same kind of improvement over Civ3, then well - I'll move on, I guess.

As for unit animations in Civ4: is it possible to turn them off there?

I'll probably play both COTM and cIV gotm.
Hope to sea some of the great players whom left the G/COTM's back in the cIV gotm.

I'd like to know what the staff thinks. Do you have any plans concerning Civ4 that affect C/GOTM?

What does the news about an upcoming MAC release of Civ3 Complete mean for the C/GOTM structure?

I will immediately quit Civ3 forever when I get Civ4. Did the same with Civ2, and never looked back. Besides, a good number my suggestions made it into Civ4, so it must be a huge leap forward. :)

Okaaaay ... hold that thought.
It appears that Civ4 does not run on my system. :(

bluebox said:
I'd like to know what the staff thinks. Do you have any plans concerning Civ4 that affect C/GOTM?

What does the news about an upcoming MAC release of Civ3 Complete mean for the C/GOTM structure?
We are starting a Civ4 gotm soon (after the first patch, probably).

We will continue running the GOTM/COTM in the near future. Once the Mac version of Complete is out, we may reassess depending on participation levels. Maybe cut-out the GOTM and have only the COTM?

That's probably the best thing to do, 3 games a month is pushing it.
In civII gotm there are still 15-20 players competing, so I expect civII could be played for a long time too.

ainwood said:
Maybe cut-out the GOTM and have only the COTM?

I would vote to leave GOTM and cut-out COTM, because there are still players who play on Vanilla. And PTW/Vanilla is more interesting than Conquests, IMHO.
Maybe we should have a poll on that?

Will SirPleb be eligable to submit the first CIV-gotm, having thoroughly tested out the game? He would have a huge advantage if the first game starts really soon. Not that I mind if he does submit...

Megalou said:
Will SirPleb be eligable to submit the first CIV-gotm, having thoroughly tested out the game? He would have a huge advantage if the first game starts really soon. Not that I mind if he does submit...
I'm in the civ 4 forums all the time and haven't seen one post by him - he might be gone. :(

Also, I've been wondering how Civ 4 GOTM can work and be competetive. In Civ 4 you can edit .xml files to change gameplay or bring up the world builder to cheat in just about any way imaginable. I would still like to try out GOTM, even if cheats were possible, but I'm curious about whether the game will be secure.

MeteorPunch said:
Also, I've been wondering how Civ 4 GOTM can work and be competetive. In Civ 4 you can edit .xml files to change gameplay or bring up the world builder to cheat in just about any way imaginable. I would still like to try out GOTM, even if cheats were possible, but I'm curious about whether the game will be secure.
If I understand it correctly, doing anything with the world builder to a running game sets some sort of cheat flag in the save, so those things should be catchable at least.

But really, there are plenty of ways to cheat in a GotM for CivIII as well, and playing nice has always been a gentlemen's agreement. I don't think it will be much different for cIV. What's the fun in playing for the honors by cheating? :confused:

Only honorable people feel that way unfortunately.

I would expect that a modded game will have its rules self contained. While still possible to cheat its not as easy as changing your XML files.

Still though many cheats would be obvious after review anyway, changing your unit stats, or build costs etc will be visible as they were in Civ3. Well, I'm hoping they didn't take a step back, but until I hear otherwise I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, especially since MP play was included instead of an addon this time.

Megalou said:
What makes you think he was on the beta team? :confused: I haven't seen him around the forums for ages - he was busy with work.

It is an interesting issue though - beta testers participating in the gotm. I think we'll allow it - but maybe identify them? Not sure.

Re cheating - there are some securities built-in. We're evaluating them, but I hope we can get a competition running that is reasonably secure.

Top Bottom