Civ4 BTS - WWII: Road to War Add-on (beta version)

Methos

HoF Quattromaster
Hall of Fame Staff
Retired Moderator
Dale, the scenario designer for WWII: Road to War, has released an official extension to the Civilization IV: Beyond the Sword mod The Road to War. There are new units, such as the Code Breaker (improved spy), new leaders (yeah, you guessed it, Hitler and Hirohito), as well as new movies. Dale has also made several new changes, now you can play as all nations, multiplayer has been added, plus nation name changes and the German flag is changed. Of course let's not forget the bug fixes, which is always a very important aspect. I hope you caught that this was just the beta version, meaning we can look forward to the full version later.

Download the Beta Add-on Pack. A full list of the changes can be found here.

You did notice that you spelled it as "Roat" didn't you? :p

Imo, such small fixes could have been easily already added to the mod's version which came with BtS :rolleyes:

I mean just imagine how many people will now play the historically incorrect previous version of the mod, just because it was shipped with BtS :rolleyes:

WW2 was not just about war, it was also about the strong leaders. And you're adding two very important WW2 leaders only now, 'though it should have been done earlyer :rolleyes:

And you're adding two very important WW2 leaders only now, 'though it should have been done earlyer :rolleyes:

It's my understanding that they weren't added to the released version due to Firaxis not allowing it, not because the creator didn't want to. Hence the fact they're being released now from the creator on his own and not through Firaxis.

Leave it to a Civ community member to outshine the professionals once again. :)

Crash757:

Firstly, if the gripe is over those two leaders, pick one of the many threads in the BtS forum, instead of here. :)

The mod itself directs players to check out the website for add-ons. I fully prepared for this.

Why? Because there are some things Firaxis wouldn't allow in the BtS version, such as particular leaders, and an extra 600 megs of artwork. :)

Azult:

Yes, the finished add-on will have all the UU graphics.

I'm hoping the full update includes a map large enough and detailed enought to represent this. Ghengis Kia's map might be a good candidate. Since we are starting in the modern era and BTS runs so much more smoothly . . . be fun to play out the whole war, from whatever angle I wanted.

Understand why it wasn't included to begin with, ditto the real leaders. Firaxis has to abide by public opinion, which is a hard thing to do when dealing with history buffs, who often have desires the general public wouldn't agree with.

I don't think it was necessary to add that scum bug Hitler, and the Swastika. It doesnt add anything to the game, except making people feel uncomfortable about playing as Germany.

I was curious, so I loaded up the scenario and checked out the new leaderheads. Excellent job Dale! It really adds a more historical aspect to this already great mod! I'm looking forward to your huge add-on that's supposed to be global.

Excellent work! :clap:

Wow.. I loaded up the 1939 Europe scenario and that music in the opening video.. Not only is it very powerful, it's also very familiar! It's the music from the new Battlestar Galactica when Adama gets shot.. :eek: Very sad and very beautiful.. Great choice, modmakers!

Anyway, I really like the way this looks, so I might have to try it out for real sometime.. :D

Wow.. I loaded up the 1939 Europe scenario and that music in the opening video.. Not only is it very powerful, it's also very familiar! It's the music from the new Battlestar Galactica when Adama gets shot.. :eek: Very sad and very beautiful.. Great choice, modmakers!

Anyway, I really like the way this looks, so I might have to try it out for real sometime.. :D

Yep, a very powerful piece of music.

There's a second score for the intro as well (they play randomly) that I feel has all the triumph and glory of the UK standing strong during the Battle of Britain. Hoilero from Hearts of Iron 2. :)

Can't wait to get home and download it! :)

As far as the mod adding the two new leaders, I don't think it could have been handled any better. Firaxis obviously had valid reasons not to include them in the expansion and we all knew they could be modded in afterwards.

This should make everybody happy. If you're looking for more historical accuracy, download the mod. If you'd rather not play a game with Der Fuehrer, then play vanilla.

I'm waiting till the first of the month for money to buy BTS but I feel that firakis/2k may have not wanted hitler and swastikas in the game as it may have made the game harder to sell or maybe even illegal in some european countries. remember as a global company they have to consider sales in multiple countries.

individuals in some countries can upload to websites. if someone downloads a file who lives in a country where such a file is illegal, the website is not liable if the website is operating legally in their nation.

individuals are more free to do such things than a company that must do business the next month or so.

I believe german law forbids swatikas and images of hitler as I believe france does. I could be mistaken.

I downloaded even before purchasing BTS. I will buy it but I want this file now!

Finally Tennō Heika Hiro Hito is in ;)

He was the commander in chief of the IJA and IJN after all.

EDIT: and Dale please do not take it as a flame, but German units are still speaking english and it sounds bizarre in particular when you know there is a german voices file available, or maybe it has something to with modding ?

EDIT: and Dale please do not take it as a flame, but German units are still speaking english and it sounds bizarre in particular when you know there is a german voices file available, or maybe it has something to with modding ?

Actually that's called constructive criticism

Top Bottom