Civ4 Complete on Disc not Running on Windows 8 no Error Message

StaTheSpy

Chieftain
After I get to the menu with start/readme/exit on it and press start I hear the disc spinning for a second but nothing happens, I go into the task manager and there's nothing Civ related there. This happens on vanilla, BTS and Warlords. I've had the disc for years now, so it could very well have just given up on me. I believe that it used to run on windows 8, but I've also had this computer for years, so I can't remember exactly. I've tried reinstalling and it installs fine but I still have the same problem running it. If no solution can be found I'll just take the disk in for buffing, maybe that'll work.

Have you used it since last Fall (2015)? About a year ago, Microsoft released a Security Update for Windows 7 & 8 that, among other things, disabled the copy protection code to access many older disc games, including CIV. If you have not used your disc since then or if you did not let the update happen until recently, then that may be your problem. The fix for that problem is in this forum somewhere. I thought I had it and was going to post it but I can't find it. You can look around for it in this forum or wait for someone who did save it to post. If that is not your problem, someone more knowledgeable than I am, will have to help.

Have you used it since last Fall (2015)? About a year ago, Microsoft released a Security Update for Windows 7 & 8 that, among other things, disabled the copy protection code to access many older disc games, including CIV. If you have not used your disc since then or if you did not let the update happen until recently, then that may be your problem. The fix for that problem is in this forum somewhere. I thought I had it and was going to post it but I can't find it. You can look around for it in this forum or wait for someone who did save it to post. If that is not your problem, someone more knowledgeable than I am, will have to help.
Thank you, I'm not sure if I've used the disk since then but there's no harm in trying, hopefully it works.

Top Bottom