Civ4 crashes upon clicking "Load mod"

cooldude1128

Prince
When I go to "Load mod", and click c2c, then "Load", it closes like it should, waits
about a minute, then displays the "[PROGRAM] has encountered an error and had to close" screen. I am running windows XP, with a 128mb video card.
I'm running C2C v21. It is in "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\MODS". Why won't it function?

It is in "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\MODS". Why won't it function?

That's the wrong folder. It belongs in your Civ4\BTS\mods folder (I used abbreviations, but you get the idea). Only data goes into your Documents folder, not programs/games. I'm surprised the game even had it listed as installed if you put it in that folder.

Now it is in C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods and it still comes up with the same problem.

I'm going to amend my first post where I said only data goes into Documents, as I forgot some games actually put their mods into that folder. But this game doesn't.

Now it is in C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods and it still comes up with the same problem.

Re-download it again (you have an old version anyway; it is now v23) and see if that works. Also be sure your BTS is patched (manually, don't use the auto-patch) to 3.19. Using Windows XP means you can only use 2GB RAM as well (I'm assuming 32 bit), so you may run into problems even if you get it to run.

Re-download it again (you have an old version anyway; it is now v23) and see if that works. Also be sure your BTS is patched (manually, don't use the auto-patch) to 3.19. Using Windows XP means you can only use 2GB RAM as well (I'm assuming 32 bit), so you may run into problems even if you get it to run.

Yes, it is 32bit, it is patched to v3.60something, and yes, I used the autopatcher.

Shoot.

EDIT: It appears I AM using v23. Guess the only problem is I didn't patch it manually.

Yes, it is 32bit, it is patched to v3.60something, and yes, I used the autopatcher.

Shoot.

The latest patches are 1.74 for basic Civ4 and 3.19 for BTS. Do a google search for them and don't use the auto-patcher, as it pretends to install them but doesn't.

NOTE---I am not using Civ4"complete" or whatever they called it, but got the games when they were new separately, so my info may be a bit out-of-date with regards to the auto-patcher.

I've put the mod files in "C:\Program Files\firaxis games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods", but now the game won't even recognize the mod is there, I have also updated BtS to version 3.19.

I've put the mod files in "C:\Program Files\firaxis games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods", but now the game won't even recognize the mod is there, I have also updated BtS to version 3.19.

You mean you've put the files in a folder called 'caveman to cosmos' in the path you list above right?

You mean you've put the files in a folder called 'caveman to cosmos' in the path you list above right?

Nitpick---doesn't it need to be "caveman2cosmos"; ie no spaces and 2 not to (and I personally capitalize the Cs to match the ini file)?

Nitpick---doesn't it need to be "caveman2cosmos"; ie no spaces and 2 not to (and I personally capitalize the Cs to match the ini file)?

Yes. It can be called what you like but it does have to match your INI file. Becaue peopel keep givign me save games from installs where they've picked their own names I get confused (I have 7 differently named versions installed so I can read the various save games I am sent)

Yes, I have put the files in a folder called "caveman2cosmos" in the path listed above, except now instead of before when I had the file in "My Documents/My Games/Beyond The Sword/MODS", where it showed the file in-game but wouldn't load it, now the file won't get recognized in-game at all.

Yes, I have put the files in a folder called "caveman2cosmos" in the path listed above, except now instead of before when I had the file in "My Documents/My Games/Beyond The Sword/MODS", where it showed the file in-game but wouldn't load it, now the file won't get recognized in-game at all.

That can sometimes mean that you have not patched to BtS 3.19.

Top Bottom