1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ4 crashes upon clicking "Load mod"

Discussion in 'Bugs and Crashes' started by cooldude1128, Jun 6, 2012.

1. cooldude1128

cooldude1128 Chieftain

When I go to "Load mod", and click c2c, then "Load", it closes like it should, waits
    about a minute, then displays the "[PROGRAM] has encountered an error and had to close" screen. I am running windows XP, with a 128mb video card.
    I'm running C2C v21. It is in "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\MODS". Why won't it function?

2. dusckr87

dusckr87 Chieftain

That's the wrong folder. It belongs in your Civ4\BTS\mods folder (I used abbreviations, but you get the idea). Only data goes into your Documents folder, not programs/games. I'm surprised the game even had it listed as installed if you put it in that folder.

3. cooldude1128

cooldude1128 Chieftain

4. cooldude1128

cooldude1128 Chieftain

Now it is in C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods and it still comes up with the same problem.

5. dusckr87

dusckr87 Chieftain

I'm going to amend my first post where I said only data goes into Documents, as I forgot some games actually put their mods into that folder. But this game doesn't.

6. cooldude1128

cooldude1128 Chieftain

But it still doesn't work.

7. dusckr87

dusckr87 Chieftain

Re-download it again (you have an old version anyway; it is now v23) and see if that works. Also be sure your BTS is patched (manually, don't use the auto-patch) to 3.19. Using Windows XP means you can only use 2GB RAM as well (I'm assuming 32 bit), so you may run into problems even if you get it to run.

8. cooldude1128

cooldude1128 Chieftain

Yes, it is 32bit, it is patched to v3.60something, and yes, I used the autopatcher.

Shoot.

EDIT: It appears I AM using v23. Guess the only problem is I didn't patch it manually.

9. dusckr87

dusckr87 Chieftain

The latest patches are 1.74 for basic Civ4 and 3.19 for BTS. Do a google search for them and don't use the auto-patcher, as it pretends to install them but doesn't.

NOTE---I am not using Civ4"complete" or whatever they called it, but got the games when they were new separately, so my info may be a bit out-of-date with regards to the auto-patcher.

10. cooldude1128

cooldude1128 Chieftain

Really? Huh, it says v3.60.

11. dusckr87

dusckr87 Chieftain

That must be some weird numbering version 'complete' uses or something. BTS is 3.19 in any case.

12. PeterARomanov

PeterARomanov Chieftain

I've put the mod files in "C:\Program Files\firaxis games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods", but now the game won't even recognize the mod is there, I have also updated BtS to version 3.19.

13. Koshling

Koshling Vorlon

You mean you've put the files in a folder called 'caveman to cosmos' in the path you list above right?

14. dusckr87

dusckr87 Chieftain

Nitpick---doesn't it need to be "caveman2cosmos"; ie no spaces and 2 not to (and I personally capitalize the Cs to match the ini file)?

15. Koshling

Koshling Vorlon

Yes. It can be called what you like but it does have to match your INI file. Becaue peopel keep givign me save games from installs where they've picked their own names I get confused (I have 7 differently named versions installed so I can read the various save games I am sent)

16. PeterARomanov

PeterARomanov Chieftain

Yes, I have put the files in a folder called "caveman2cosmos" in the path listed above, except now instead of before when I had the file in "My Documents/My Games/Beyond The Sword/MODS", where it showed the file in-game but wouldn't load it, now the file won't get recognized in-game at all.

17. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Warlord

That can sometimes mean that you have not patched to BtS 3.19.

18. dusckr87

dusckr87 Chieftain

Again, did you (PAR) update manually or use the auto-patcher?