Civ4 GOTM 1 Results & Congratulations

ainwood

Consultant.
Administrator
Well, in terms of sheer numbers of entries, this game has been fantastic - shattering all previous GOTM records. We had no less than 623 entries! :eek: To put that into perspective: The previous best was way back in May 2003, where GOTM 19 had 244 entries. We have over two and a half times as many for this game! :goodjob:

So - who were the winners? Well, it was a mixture of new faces and old ones. In first place, hendrickszoon showed that he's not just a Conquests expert - he cleaned-up the gold medal with a 1450 AD Domination victory - his statement that 'population is everything' may have helped him get to 130,454 points, but it took a lot of skill as well!

In second place, DaveMcW, the only person to-date to have won 'eptathlon' awards in bot the Civ3 GOTM and COTM grabbed silver with a 1670 AD conquest victory. His score of 116,976 is not to be sneezed at, either.

In third place, it was one of the new faces: Dave the Lesser grabbed bronze as well as the fastest domination award when he triggered domination in 1260 Ad, with 97,847 points.

Summary of Medal Winners:

hendrikszoon: 1450 AD Domination Victory, 130,454 points.

DaveMcW: 1670 AD Conquest Victory, 116,976 points.

Dave the Lesser: 1260 AD Domination Victory, 97,847 points.

denogginizer: 2027 AD Domination Victory, 7,172 points.

Hermit: 2018 AD Spaceship Loss, 5,520 points.

McArine: 2031 AD Diplomatic Victory, 5,155 points.

salsa: 2038 AD Conquest Victory, 4,354 points.

Nightfang: 2030 AD Spaceship Victory, 4,160 points.

Puzzlinon: 2024 AD Cultural Victory, 3,552 points.

shumble: 450 BC Conquest Loss, 202 points.

>> See the full results here.
>> See the updated global rankings here.
>> See the latest Pantheon of Heroes here.

For those of you who are new to the GOTM and may not know what the various awards are, go to the full results page, and hold the mouse over the award icon - the pop-up text gives a quick summary. Or go to this page where they are all listed.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And a last acknowledgement:

Getting a system that allows us to accept 623 submissions via an automated upload system, calculate scores, generate results and put them on a webpage is not a trivial task. It has been automated such that when people submit their save files and replays, the important information regarding score, victory or loss, year, type of victory etc is automatically extracted. Thanks go to all who helped with this - in particular, Gyathaar for his help in sorting out data extraction from the save file, Dianthus for helping with that and the online parser, and AlanH for the online parser, setting up the webpages, processing the submissions - and generally making the administration of the GOTMs much, much easier. The amount of work he has contributed to the Civ3 and Civ4 GOTMs is incredible. So - as we release the first set of results only 8 days after they closed, please join me in giving a simple 'thanks' for the work that enables this competition to be run. :)

Results look a little odd to me because it seems you have to go either conquest or domination to maximize points.

:wow: 623 submissions :crazyeye: Congrats all!!!:clap:
What seems odd to me is how low the fastest conquest is in the scoring table. In general, I am surprised with a very weak correlation between dates and scores. I am guessing that indeed a modification of a scoring system is unavoidable. The first thing in mind is to decrease the input of population into the final score.

Adonias said:
hmm... what does it mean if you're not on the list?
You had an email, sent on 12 December.

I've fixed a couple of gremlins. The Global Ranking table now shows up properly, and Puzzlinon's Lowest Scoring Cultural victory is also listed correctly, both in the post above and in the tables.

I have no words eek.... eeekkkk... and eeeekkkk again....

I'm about 221, near the best rotflmao :)

congrats to the over 100.000 winners and to all the loosers

solenoozerec said:
:wow: 623 submissions :crazyeye: Congrats all!!!:clap:
What seems odd to me is how low the fastest conquest is in the scoring table. In general, I am surprised with a very weak correlation between dates and scores.
Here is a scatter graph of scores and turns, colour coded for the different victory conditions. The fastest and highest score award winners are highlighted. I've used a log scale for score, and you can see that this gives a pretty linear distribution and quite strong correlation.
For anyone who wants to do more analysis, I've also attached the spreadsheet containing this graph and the raw data.

Attachments

• dateandscore40001.xls.zip
    26.6 KB · Views: 157
Thanks to our wonderful GOTM staff for all your excellent work on the first 4oTM. Considering that you guys had to deal with work, the holidays, a new game, a new submission system, a staggering number of players (and questions), and probably a dozen other things I am not thinking of, it is most impressive that you have the results out on the 9th! :beer:

Congrats to everyone who played and contributed to this historic number of participants. We are now huge!:cooool:

Dave the Lesser (Congrats!), comes from the dark and leaves me dreaded #4 on the table. I can smell the homemade apple pie, but can’t have a taste. I’m synchronized swimming at the Olympics. I’m the long-eyed dog under the dinner table begging for a scrap. I hope this isn’t foreshadowing! :cringe:

Special congrats to:
Yurian: 1410 diplomatic victory. Did I miss the summary of this great game somehow? If there isn’t a summary, I would certainly love to see one.
Dar with a 2:08 playtime, and henceforward known to me as “Dar the Speedy.”

No award, shield or something for highest scoring “time” victory? Since we have shields and ambulances and such, it seems it should get something more than just “highest yellow dot on the scatter graph.” Maybe a little gold pocket watch or something?

One 4oTM down, many, many more to come. Woot! :banana:

Congratulations to the high scorers, your skills I can only dream about. :worship:

Congratulations to the rest of us survivors, we have lots of work to do! :crazyeye:

And a big hand to all who worked to provide the feedback of the scoring table for us, and for in general administering GOTMs. As a person who singlehandedly maintained a small computer shop for many years, I know how big your job is and how important team members are. Thank you for all your work! :goodjob:

--- Ewok have short legs, only score 337 - have to run faster ---

Cheers Ainwood and AlanH and everyone else involved with the first Civ4 GOTM.

It's certainly raised my Civ4 playing experience and was great fun.

Some of those scores are damn impressive!

:thumbsup: and :goodjob: to the Staff for processing this huge number of entries in such a short time, especially with no prior system in place! :eek: (and publishing 2 COTMs and 1 GOTM results as well!) Just awesome!

Also, congratulations to the Medal and Award winners, and thanks for the Spoilers! (I have a lot of reading to do!)

To think, I'm ranked 210th and I'm 3 away from being in the top third! :eek:

Great game everyone. It's nice to see both new and old faces.

ainwood said:
So - as we release the first set of results only 8 days after they closed, please join me in giving a simple 'thanks' for the work that enables this competition to be run. :)

I agree. Thanks all of you! I hope you can accept my thanks the best way I know how, I'm going to keep playing! :D

One question, will the Global Ranking System be a permanent mix of both CivIII and CivIV, or will the two be separated?

Never mind the minor awards, who's the highest scoring mod ? :cool:

@Methos: There are already separate results, GR and Pantheon tables for Civ4.

col said:
Never mind the minor awards, who's the highest scoring mod ? :cool:
Well, on a quick scan, there were only two mod submissions, so strictly speaking it's "Higher Scoring Mod". Are you going to tell Thunderfall you beat him? Or shall I? :D

I'd also like to thank all the GOTM admins for the hard work they put in over the last couple months with all the new game troubles and all.

Let me echo Roland in wanting to see Yurian's writeup. I'm amazed that you could get the other civs to vote for you that early in the game. It's clear by your score that you didn't vote yourself in with a large population, so very nicely done. Unfortunately I cannot open Yurian's savefile because it says the sav is protected. :confused: I wonder if I can open any of the protected v1.09 saves.

Also, the results clearly indicate that a new scoring system will be needed to bring fast spaceship, culture and diplomatic victories into line with domination and conquest.

Top Bottom