Civ4 has given me an appreciation of Classical music

Warlord Sam

2500 hours and counting..
When I first started playing Civ4, I distinctly recall the experience that became a running joke among my circle of gamer friends in college: "Load up Civ4, and it sings to you."

Baba Yetu is simply amazing, as you all well know. It wasn't something I'd expect from a computer game.

I played the game and enjoyed the soundtracks for every single era, save one: the Renaissance. I've never been a big fan of Classical, and always sort of groaned and bore it when I'd reach that age in Civ4.

Five years later: I just started a job that requires a lot of travel around my state, and I've come to find myself tuning in to NPR and enjoying the classical music broadcasts because it actually reminds of Civ4. As I drive along, the songs fill me with warm fondness of games gone by.

Haha, anyone else experience anything similar?

I'm a fan of video games music too and Civ4 has such great music. I do admit that I don't like the modern soundtrack (people are the heroes?? really? :rolleyes: ) but the classical, renaissance, and industrial are such expressive songs.

I've had a world war happening while Beethoven's 6th was playing and all I can think of is: this is such happy music for people trying to lop each other's heads off. :lol:

I'm actually trying to merge Civ 3's pseudo thematic music with Civ 4's era specific along with Colonization IV's period pieces. I have to say that Stars Full is great modern music.

NPR plays music? Lol, j/k. I'm fortunate to have an independent classical music station in my area. Too much jabber on NPR for me.

But to your point: yes, very much. I particularly have fallen in love with the modern era music, I think the Foxtrot from Nixon in China (?) that I would never have paid a second listen to otherwise. I just wish somehow they could have crammed another 20+ hours of music onto the CD. :D I really think their choice to add authentic period music was inspired genius. Not something I expected to get with the game, yet it's perhaps the thing that addicts me to it the most.

I turned off the music in CIV long ago, so I could listen to classical music on my stereo system instead while playing. As for NPR, some stations are all music, some are all yammering, some are a mix. My local station used to be a good mix with loads of music but more recently the yammerheads seem to have taken control of the programming.

I turned off the music in CIV long ago, so I could listen to classical music on my stereo system instead while playing. As for NPR, some stations are all music, some are all yammering, some are a mix. My local station used to be a good mix with loads of music but more recently the yammerheads seem to have taken control of the programming.

Sorry to drift OT, but I've found that too. I think there's a DJ's union that petitions for more air time on all stations so they play less music. It's killing my interest in radio. I don't tune it to listen to talk about celebrities, be caller #55 or listen to somebody describe their life.

I find myself wandering towards my Holst cd once the airships appear - it seems so fitting. My question is, though, does the music affect your playing style? I know that I have to be careful with my DoWs once Mars comes on ;)

I as a child, never understood why children my age and superior liked pop music and all.

With 11 years I bought Civ4, and the music has been like a revelation to me

Where I live its mostly classical music during the day, with short news breaks at noon and every two hours after that (or something like that).

They played The Chairman Dances the other day and I was like "oh heck yeah!!" not realizing the song's fame prior to its inclusion in civ4 :p

I really like the modern/future era soundtracks, especially "The people are the heroes", though of course I find such a notion foolish on its face. I just like the song itself though, and don't mind the thematic license of the lyrics.

actually yes... Civ4 teach people music... i love industrial music but the only flaw... I HATE MIDDLE AGES MUSIC!

I still don't listen to classical music as much as I should do. I have to admit that my knowledge about classical music embarrassingly bad. Dvorak, Brahms or Beethoven, I wouldn't notice the difference :p

However, I do appreciate the music in-game. Chairman dances for example is fantastic for a tight space-race and I'm certain that a lot of the songs in the game would work outside the game too. Maybe I should just copy everything to my stereo and then start removing the ones I find out I don't like.

i don't know anything about classical music but "Serenade No. 10 in B-flat Major, K. 361 - "Gran Partita"" by mozart is totally awesome. the beginning especially with the oboe is the coolest.

i don't listen to the stuff regularly, but sometimes i just get a hankering for the civ 4 mix.

I now use the custom music folder option and have my own music playing in on the background

The music on Civ4 is probably the best I've ever heard (game wise) because a) it all feels part of the game, & b) its all composed and encoded excellently.

Its so good imho I currently have Meister Eckhardt set as my alarm.

I even bought the cd's of the Tallis Scholars (media vita, Gloria, Credo) :rockon:

I really like it as background music while working, driving, reading etc.

Top Bottom