Civ4 minimized

Czacki

Warlord
Most players agree that the most fun part of any civ game is the early stages, where your decisions matter most. Getting a good spot for a town, racing for resources, when every tile counts... fun stuff. On the other hand, micromanaging a 50-city empire is rather dull, and it really doesn't count - empire wise - if you even built a mine over that copper next to your 48th town. Which sort of kills the atmosphere.

I believe that a simple mod could address that.. probably in two components:

1) Get rid of excessive city spam

My idea would be to add an additional cost for city number, probably something simple (like 2^n, where n=number of cities, starting from 0=capital). Which would impose such a powerful cost for your cities over 10th that it would be pretty unwise to overexpand. For AI, I think it would be easier to simply force AI to not expand over 10 cities than take the new penalty in account.

2) Make resources city-size based

Simple, for every, say, 3 pop, they generate an extra hammer/coin. This way, no matter how big your city grows, maintaining your resource spots would be always interesting & fun. Not sure about food yet - excessive food gained this way would lead to 20-30 pop cities everywhere. Perhaps food sources could give 1 food per 10 pop or something like that, to avoid supersized cities everywhere and to not make slavery broken.

I also considered giving all resources a small boost. +1 hammer to those giving hammers (when the corresponding improvement has been built on them, that is), and +2 coins for commerce-producing ones to make them more of a competition to cottage spam (which outgrows gold mines eventually, which seems pretty weird to me...). Food would stay as it is.

And the most important part: I don't have a clue how to do all of that, so perhaps there are people willing to help? :crazyeye:

Opinions and ideas are welcome! what do you think?

Most players agree that the most fun part of any civ game is the early stages, where your decisions matter most. Getting a good spot for a town, racing for resources, when every tile counts... fun stuff. On the other hand, micromanaging a 50-city empire is rather dull, and it really doesn't count - empire wise - if you even built a mine over that copper next to your 48th town. Which sort of kills the atmosphere.

I believe that a simple mod could address that.. probably in two components:

1) Get rid of excessive city spam

My idea would be to add an additional cost for city number, probably something simple (like 2^n, where n=number of cities, starting from 0=capital). Which would impose such a powerful cost for your cities over 10th that it would be pretty unwise to overexpand. For AI, I think it would be easier to simply force AI to not expand over 10 cities than take the new penalty in account.

2) Make resources city-size based

Simple, for every, say, 3 pop, they generate an extra hammer/coin. This way, no matter how big your city grows, maintaining your resource spots would be always interesting & fun. Not sure about food yet - excessive food gained this way would lead to 20-30 pop cities everywhere. Perhaps food sources could give 1 food per 10 pop or something like that, to avoid supersized cities everywhere and to not make slavery broken.

I also considered giving all resources a small boost. +1 hammer to those giving hammers (when the corresponding improvement has been built on them, that is), and +2 coins for commerce-producing ones to make them more of a competition to cottage spam (which outgrows gold mines eventually, which seems pretty weird to me...). Food would stay as it is.

And the most important part: I don't have a clue how to do all of that, so perhaps there are people willing to help? :crazyeye:

Opinions and ideas are welcome! what do you think?

Sounds like most of it can be done with just XML. However, reteaching the AI how to play is a bit more complex.

That's not my area of expertise, anyways. I'm pretty much the guy who brainstorms and doesn't know how to do it, so same boat.

Couldn't at least some of that be accomplished by choosing a smallish map with a good number of civs?

I once did a small mod that made changes to terrains. One of the things it did was require you to settle either by a source of fresh water or by the coast. I think if it was desert or tundra you could only found coastal settlements where you also had access to fresh water, and you couldn't settle ice at all. This would restrict the areas of settlement of course and also prevent the AI from spamming cities in poor locations.

You can increase city maintenance costs through xml. There are a couple of values in GlobalDefines that affect maintenance. Also civics can affect costs.

I believe that as long as you stick to XML changes the AI will adjust. I'm not 100% sure of that though.

I believe that as long as you stick to XML changes the AI will adjust. I'm not 100% sure of that though.

Well, for most things, but I'm not sure about maintenance and their expansion, though.

@OP: I don't know about the resource thing, but increasing city maintenance costs would help out on huge empire problems. But what about when the player wants to go for Domination...?

I will just keep building cities, and gift it to you and let you die from extreme high costs :D

Top Bottom