1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ4 needs limited resources [MOD REQUEST]

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Creation & Customization' started by mao-konj, Jul 2, 2013.

1. mao-konj

mao-konj Chieftain

Someone needs to do a mod for this, it's one of the few major improvements that Civ5 brings, and it needs to be there in Civ4 as well.

Of course the AI would need to be edited to understand the new concept.

If you lose a resource and the cap is reduced, I suggest that nothing happens to your units, but you can't build new ones. I also suggest the cap be set to 1 unit per resource and 8-10 resource per pasture/mine/well. This would add so much strategy when setting your war goals and forming your army (no more tank stack of doom, you'll need to use infantry and other units as well), it's also realistic.

Spoiler :

Also, I'd like to know if there are mods for the following:

-mod that let's you trade gpt for gold with the AI(the equivalent of loans, can be done in civ5), and it should also let the AI offer gpt even if he has negative gpt at the time.
    -mod that let's you trade cities when making a peace treaty (no idea why this is forbidden in the first place, it's realistic and it lets you exchange territories you don't need)
    -mod that let's you gift cities to your vassals (very annoying when fighting a war for them and you're forced to keep the cities you take, or when someone capitulates to you and you cant give them their cities back)
    -mod that makes vetoing give reduced or no unhappiness penalty, or perhaps only a relations penalty with those who voted yes

Would someone care making these? They're all just a couple of lines of code.

2. platyping

platyping Sleeping Dragon

Nice, Good Try

3. mao-konj

mao-konj Chieftain

?
    Most of it is just allowing stuff that is forbidden by default. The resource mod would be much harder certainly.

4. platyping

platyping Sleeping Dragon

Try teaching the ai.
    Gpt for gold for instance is a ******** civ v feature.
    All it does is allow outright exploit of ai.
    Just trade 1000 gpt for all ai gold and declare war instantly.
    You get all his gold while he gets nothing

5. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

Not to sound rude, but if you're competent enough to judge the effort of creating these mods, why don't you do it yourself?

I agree with platyping that the new diplomacy features would allow severe exploits if the AI isn't properly adjusted (that this even causes problems in Civ5 shows that it really isn't a trivial problem).

Reducing veto penalties could work without this though, and I think there already is a mod for resource stockpiling in the database somewhere.

6. ls612

ls612 Deity Moderator

Making limited resources is NOT 'just a couple lines of code'. Many talented have tried and failed to make a good system for limited resources, the codebase for Civ 4 just assumes in so many places that resources are boolean (you have them or you don't).

7. mao-konj

mao-konj Chieftain

The resource stockpiling mod that I've found adds many new rules, and is overly complicated.

I didn't know about these gpt exploits. I've never modded any games and have only done some C++ so I don't think I can pick up on civ4 modding. Of course if I have to, I will probably try to do it myself.

As for the other post I do not think it's easy to make the resource mod, I think that for the mods listed later in the spoiler. If you read my posts again you will see that.

I'm sorry if I seem arrogant but I see people making giant mods with a bunch of random new rules and content, and I'm just wondering how hasn't anyone made this yet? It's hard but it's still simpler than most of the mods out there.

8. vincentz

vincentz Programmer

1) Since there is a way of knowing how many units (Unit screen F5),
    and a way of knowing how many resources is left (city screen),
    in theory it could add all those that had f.ex. Iron as a prereq (but prereqs needed to be simplified to no OR prereq I think),
    and subtract (Asaf made a modcomp that subtracted one kind of resource in change of another, so thats kinda possible too) 1 resource for every 10 iron prereq units.
    At the end when there was no iron left, it would automatically be impossible to build the units. Im sure having minus number of irons could be fixed too without divide by zero ;)
    The AI would (I guess) handle it the same way, as if it didnt have any kind of that resource, and be interested in buying more of it,
    but then there are corporations, which crave for certain resources, and would imbalance things.

But it would be a nice modcomp, and especially in late game, there would be an interest in acquiring/capturing further resources instead of just that 1 iron and 1 oil.

2) Already discussed

3) I think there already is a mod doing it (advanced diplomacy?)

4) I'm pretty sure there is a mod that does that (Puppet States)

5) The veto power is just soo wrong in Civ. It can be exploited big time by human players, so I'm almost sure that someone must have made a mod that changes UN.

Im just a regular XML modder with some merging skills, so I guess you are already a few steps ahead of me when it comes to changing the core elements of civ ;)
    Gods Speed, and if/when you make the limited units/resource, I will definitely help beta test it :D

9. Don Senglar

Don Senglar Chieftain

Limited (exhaustible and accumulated) resources are available in EoW mod by NeseryozniyVET since version 0.18 (..2011).

Last version (1.2.9) dated 25/04/2013 is available here.

10. Nimek

Nimek Emperor

@Don Senglar

Can you give link to any screenshots? of this mod

11. Don Senglar

Don Senglar Chieftain

I have no my personal screenshots of this mod, however, 29.06.2013 SunWukong published this picture.

Spoiler :

12. TheLadiesOgre

TheLadiesOgre Aspiring Codesmith

When I first started modding, I had 0 experience with C++ and I still made mods (nothing spectacular), so you've already got your foot in the door as far as modding is concerned.

It will just take some time and effort, though you can do it.

IDK if you can do the requested mods here, though I am sure you could successfully build something (no matter how minor).