1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ4 vs Civ5

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by DeathDealer314, Oct 5, 2013.

1. Olson

Olson Warlord

I probably won't ever get CivV unless it's made avail. w/o needing me to connect my gaming pc to the internet for Steam authentication. If I could authenticate via flashdrive then okay.

I've watched about an hour of a YouTube "let's play" and, so far, I like the way boundries expand, the graphics, and the diverse options that expanded on the 'civics' concept. Oh, and the hexes. I love hexes. I've always disliked (may I say "hated"?) Civ tiles. Unfortunately, the 1 unit per hex (1u/h)...oh, if I had been at the studio when someone floated that idea. Map scale, guys, it's the wrong map scale, duh. Did I mention I love hexes?

Did you know the whole point of a combat on a hex map is so that there can be combat modifiers depending on whether one is being attacked head-on, forward flanked, sideways, rear flanked, or rear? Are those combat modifiers in CivV? I don't know, are they? Do units have deployment facing? Do they have a front, side, rear? If not, then one doesn't need hexes except to equalize distances...which is significant, too. But to have hexes without unit facing is like having Braille on drive through ATM buttons.

2. Robo-Star

Robo-Star Prince

I thought it was to make all directions equal, as diagonal movement reveals more map for the same movement cost on square tiles.
    - :confused:

3. gps

gps King

Really? To be attacked head-on (N), forward flanked (NW/NE), sideways (W/E), rear flanked (SW/SE), or rear (S) you need eight directions (squares). In hexes there's no sideways... ;)

4. Olson

Olson Warlord

Robo-Star, can you find the not so hidden message in my previous post that pre-empts your post?

"Did you know the whole point of a combat on a hex map is so that there can be combat modifiers depending on whether one is being attacked head-on, forward flanked, sideways, rear flanked, or rear? Are those combat modifiers in CivV? I don't know, are they? Do units have deployment facing? Do they have a front, side, rear? If not, then one doesn't need hexes except to equalize distances...which is significant, too. But to have hexes without unit facing is like having Braille on drive through ATM buttons."

5. Robo-Star

Robo-Star Prince

Aaand...this is why I shouldn't post messages last thing on Fridays. Sorry, my bad.
    - :o

6. Olson

Olson Warlord

In hexmap wargaming units are square chits (pcs. of cardstock) with 4 sides (front, left, right, rear). Put that square unit in a hex and rotate it slowly. Eventually, all combat modifiers I described previously will be possible. If a unit has facing it won't always be facing the attacker/defender, hence the various modifiers. Really.

7. Olson

Olson Warlord

Hey, no problem. You were tired or whatever. And I could have easily have been negligent in acknowledging other reasons why hexes are a good idea. BTW, did I mention I love hexes?

They say...and I'm curious who "they" are...anyway, they say "people only hear one-third of what's said to them". Well, it seems on most forums (even those dedicated to professional writers), I swear (not frequently), most people only digest one-third of what they read; could be a verbage intolerance condition, for which I'd recommend "Beano" or "Tums".

8. Drakarska

Drakarska Epic Dadness

Ala Star Fleet Battles being an epic prime example :)

9. Robo-Star

Robo-Star Prince

Say it three times and I might remember it.
    - ;)

10. alex15

alex15 2004

Most Civ5 players is probably is new to Civilization series and never player not only old civ games but also Civ4, so most of them have no idea how Civ4 good is.

And sadly looks like no one of them doesnt want to try playing Civ4 for a once

11. Funky

Funky Emperor

Sad as it is, most of us are prone to this attitude. When I tried EUIII about a year ago, I could never really get into it, the main reason being the outdated and visually unappealing graphics. EUIV, however, got me hooked immediately, although it's very similar to its predecessor gamewise.

I can still play games like Dragon Wars and Ultima6 from 1990, because I played them as a child. Whereas it would be highly unlikely I would enjoy other games from this time which I haven't previously played.

The morale of the story, start playing good games when they come out. Don't wait till they are old or you may lose your chance to find pleasure in playing them forever!

12. Gurn Blanston

Gurn Blanston MOstly Lurking

Is there a demo for EUIV? I'm like you. I can't get into EUIII, but I'd like to try out the new one before I buy it.

13. alex15

alex15 2004

I started poll about this at Civ5 forums, and i was suprised because like 70% people voted that they played Civ4. (120 ppl voted that they played Civ5 and 93 voted that they played orignal Civ4 88 voted that they played BTS expansion)

That means like 70% Civ5 players tryed playing Civ4(at least civfanatics members) at least for one or two times. But Civ4 is not casual game and if one will play Civ4 for few times its doesnt mean he will understant how good Civ4 is. Some Civ5 players trying playing Civ4 and quiting game after 1 try and 1 try is not enuff to learn about Civ4. I seen posts like this " i played Civ4 for 1 time and didnt liked it, i dondt understant Civ4 combat system, i dont understant Civ4 civics system "

Also people always find first game in series that they played best, so if some one played Civ5 as his first civ game, he will like other series less then Civ5, expect Civ1 and Civ2 players because they have old graphics and old interface.

Civ4 lacks "advertising", i mean its good that that people buy Civ5 and support developers, but they should buy Civ4 too because buying Civ4 is also supporting developers.

Maybe Steam/Developers should make something like if some one buys Civ5 he can get Civ4 for lower price or something.

14. Funky

Funky Emperor

I don't know if there is a demo. But if you like these kinds of games and aren't afraid of a steep learning curve and possibly being overwhelmed at the beginning, you will like it for sure. It's a really well thought-out, complex, and polished game. To help beginners there is plenty of information available, in form of youtube videos, a wiki, forums, etc.

15. alex15

alex15 2004

Civ4 lacks new patch with better and improved tutorial - because the original Civ4 tutorial its not good enuff for casual players, because its not doesnt teach about such things like farming great people/chosing different civics/using different unit improvments/usiing whiping/using stack attack and other stuff

Also BTS should include Civ4 vanilla tutorial also because new players playing Civ4Bts first instead of Civ4 Vanilla its good and BTS is better, but BTS doesnt have tutorial so casual players doesnt learning how to play

There should be 1) Tutorial simple and fast and another 2) better improved tutorial that takes more time but teaches casual players more things about Civ4

16. Reg Pither

Reg Pither Warlord

Yes, there is an EUIV demo, I've been playing it. :D

Just checkout the official site. :)

17. gps

gps King

I don't think Civ IV is any less casual than any other game in the series. And I am quite convinced IV (Vanilla) actually is the one game in the series that is the easiest to win for a total newbe in the easiest level. Civ I and II had some very nasty micromanagement stuff - and building the spaceship alone without specific infomation on how to design takes several attempts to get it right. So here are several elements where you have to know exactly what you're doing. Civ III even on the lower levels has quite determined AI that does not leave too much room for experiments and errors - if you don't know the game. And don't even get me started about all the uninituitive nonsense they forced into V (1upt, city states, surreal and unintuitive diplomacy, trade routes, tourism :eek: - pretty sure Julius Cesar or Napoleon spending a lot of time planning tourism of the arrangement of pieces of art in museums - , etc.). Seriously: anyone who thinks V BNW is easier to learn than BTS should rethink his position.

I doubt that, but even if so: why bother? People can play whatever they want and entertains them...

Well, it's still available almost anywhere - and I don't think Firaxis make the big money from the 5 to 10 bucks it still costs.

18. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Deity

I've seen this a couple places recently...stated so confidently that it's easy enough to just add it into the background reality of gaming...then I thought about it.

First Civ game I played, Civ 2...favorite, Civ 4 BTS.
    First Elder Scrolls game I played, Morrowind...favorite, Oblivion with mods.
    First TW game I played, Shogun...favorite, Rome.
    First GTA game I played, Vice City...favorite, San Andreas but this is admittedly too close to call.
    First X game I played, Reunion...favorite, Terran Conflict.

And in asking around I have found mostly similar responses.

I think this is one of those statements that sounds plausible and rolls nicely off the tongue, but is in fact absolutely incorrect.

19. Iranon

Iranon Deity Whipping Boy

First Civ game played: Civ 1. Favourite: Civ4 BTS.
    First TES game played: Morrowind. Favourite: Daggerfall.
    First X-Com game played: Terror from the Deep. Favourite: Enemy Unknown.

I don't think there's a universal trend what people prefer. I like my games tight and honest without superfluous elements, but I'm ok with "ambitious but unpolished". As far as production values go - I don't care about technological sophistication, but I care if it's well done. Civ4 for example always looked hideous to me- proper mountain ranges are more important than pixel count or 3d.

20. Mr.WorldWide

Mr.WorldWide Smugly Inferior

I recently played TES IV, first TES game I've every played. After browsing online guides I was intrigued but worried at the potential time I could end up spending playing such a game.