Civ4 Warlords Info Center

Actually, it just occured to me: Now that the Barracks only give 3 xp, it will only get to 9 xp - 1 away from 3 promotions!

What's usually the go with MP? I have never gotten into it at all. I would imagine it would all be Axemen and Cats (anti-stack cats, that is). That's just my guess anyway.

Watiggi said:
Actually, it just occured to me: Now that the Barracks only give 3 xp, it will only get to 9 xp - 1 away from 3 promotions!
Oh, that's good! I thought Cha was going to be VERY powerful, especially Cyrus. It's considerably weaker given this, that 1 xp makes all the difference.
What's usually the go with MP? I have never gotten into it at all. I would imagine it would all be Axemen and Cats (anti-stack cats, that is).
Or horse archers, but axes are the most common. Which is why Immortals and Jaguars are so weak; those units are AI killers and of little or no use against humans who get axes ASAP. War Chariots OTOH are very handy. Ramses looks to be a very versatile leader...

Gherald said:
Oh, that's good! I thought Cha was going to be way overpowered, especially Cyrus.
It appears that they have been rather particular when it comes to the Charismatic trait not getting any advantage when it comes to startup experience - at least in the begining of the game and for the mounted units.

Aggressive seems to be the startup experience king by being able to quickly build the Barracks, Drydocks and possibly the Stables (there is a mention elsewhere that Aggressive may make the Stables cheaper).

Charismatic doesn't get any extra promotions from startup than a non Charismatic leader would by building the Barracks or Stables. If they build the Barracks, they will be one away from their second promotion. A non Char will be two away. If anyone builds the Stables, they then get their second promotion (for mounted units) - whether they are Charismatic or not.

It looks like a pretty purposeful setup - Charismatic is for easy xp accumulation during war, Aggressive is for easy startup xp. I doubt you'll ever see Aggressive/Charismatic together.

Gherald said:
Oh, that's good! I thought Cha was going to be VERY powerful, especially Cyrus. It's considerably weaker given this, that 1 xp makes all the difference.
Genghis will be able to have 3 promotioned Keshiks rather early in the game though! Barracks (3) + Ger (4) + Vassalage (2) + Theocracy (2) = 11 xp :) 'bout time he got a good wrap for once. :goodjob:

Gherald said:
Or horse archers, but axes are the most common. Which is why Immortals and Jaguars are so weak; those units are AI killers and of little or no use against humans who get axes ASAP. War Chariots OTOH are very handy. Ramses looks to be a very versatile leader...
Horse Archers are good in MP are they? I didn't think it would be viable to go after considering the costs. Heck, if I played MP, I would be totally parranoid.

What will the Numidian Cavalry do for the MP game?

Watiggi

Hmm, I forsee a greater use for scouts now.

1) Build stack of, say, fifteen 3xp units as a Cha, or 9xp as the Mongols (no vassalage), and an equal number of scouts.

2) Walk up to someone you have open borders with, gift the scouts, and declare war on the same turn.

3) ???

4) Profit!

---

I'm not sure what the effect of Numidian Cavalry will be offensively, but I do believe they'll be a good deterant. I for one will welcome free access to the Sentry promotion. Keeping an eye on human players who refuse open borders is very important.

herm
maybe a stupid question and i dont know if it belongs here but i'll ask it anyway.
i bought the civ IV special (american) edition. now i would like to buy the warlords expansion set and i would like to buy it on amazon.co.uk cause im European and I would save some money this way (vat, post). And here finally comes my question : is civ IV american version compatible with Civ IV warlords european (english (not french nor german)) version?

Watiggi said:
*HUH* Of ALL of the units in the game, the seige unit NEED City Raider I, II & III to stay alive. When you can spit out City Raider III Cats from your cities, you pretty much can conquer anyone (in SP - I don't play MP) and only need a small support force to protect them.

How can you build Catapults with City Raider III?

DaviddesJ said:
How can you build Catapults with City Raider III?
That is what we were just talking about...... one way will be:

barracks(3) + Spanish citadel(2) + theocracy(2) + vassalage(2) = 9 experience points. You need 1 more, perhaps from a military advisor(2).

Even if this were a good strategy (it isn't), any Cha leader would be just as good as Isabella for it, and be better in almost every other department (with the possible exception of Washington; depends on whether you value Cha's other benefits over Spi, starting with Mysticism vs. Agriculture, etc.)

Gherald said:
Hmm, I forsee a greater use for scouts now.

1) Build stack of, say, fifteen 3xp units as a Cha, or 9xp as the Mongols (no vassalage), and an equal number of scouts.

2) Walk up to someone you have open borders with, gift the scouts, and declare war on the same turn.

3) ???

4) Profit!
*scratches head*

What?

Gherald said:
I'm not sure what the effect of Numidian Cavalry will be offensively, but I do believe they'll be a good deterant. I for one will welcome free access to the Sentry promotion. Keeping an eye on human players who refuse open borders is very important.
Free access to the Sentry promotions? Man, have I missed something all together?

Watiggi

Gherald said:
Is it that hard to understand? Kill the scouts for 1 xp apiece.
NC start with flanking...

I have to admit, while I can see that that would work, that sounds to me like an exploit that I personally wouldn't want to use. (I'm not sure how gifting actually works, but I think, by the standards of its likely intentions, it ought to work by the transfer of ownership happening at the beginning of the AI's turn, not when you click on 'Gift', so that the AI has a chance to accept or reject the gift, and move it to a safe place if appropriate. Maybe in that case the AI would send a scout out to explore, but I'm dubious: I don't recall ever seeing the AI use scouts to explore after the very early game; usually, ISTM AI exploring units come in small groups that are obviously able to defend themselves.

Certainly as a human, I wouldn't send a scout out to explore if I thought there was a chance it could be used by an opponent in that way.

Also, why is this a new use for scouts in warlords? Presumably if it's doable, it'd just as useful in vanilla civ, with 4XP units from barracks?

DynamicSpirit said:
Is it just me or does the Charismatic leader trait look way too overpowered? Is the listing for that definitely correct? (Currently given as +2 happiness, -25% promotion cost, half price broadcast tower)

Perhaps worth noting that the info has now been updated and is listed as +1 happiness, which looks a lot more sensible, especially if, as seems to be implied by some other posts, barracks now give +3 XP, not +4, so the -25% promotion cost doesn't allow instant 2 promotions with barracks.

On a related note, anyone know where the info is on normal (as opposed to unique) buildings? I'm guessing some of these have changed, and there are references to stables - presumably a new building - but I didn't notice any info about this on the Civfanatics Warlords info page.

It's there. The Stables give +2 to mounted units and it cost 60 hammers to build. It's at the top of the UB list.

DynamicSpirit said:
Also, why is this a new use for scouts in warlords? Presumably if it's doable, it'd just as useful in vanilla civ, with 4XP units from barracks?
Oh yeah, you're right, it won't be anything new with 3exp Cha units. But I do think it would be more useful with 9xp mongol units.

If the Stables does make it possible to build mounted units with more experience than any other type of unit, that seems dumb to me. Mounted units are already awfully good. It would make more sense if the Stables gives XP to mounted units but they don't get any benefit from the Barracks.

Mounted getting more exp is fine with me; they die more easily.

Cannuck says Sacrificial Altar does not affect drafting, oh well :crazyeye:.

DaviddesJ said:
If the Stables does make it possible to build mounted units with more experience than any other type of unit, that seems dumb to me. Mounted units are already awfully good. It would make more sense if the Stables gives XP to mounted units but they don't get any benefit from the Barracks.
Apparently they made horses have a preq. tech so that it would help stop the early mounted unit rushes. Now that it requires Animal Hunsbandry, I think it may have made Axe rushing more dominant. If all that is true, then maybe the Stables is an attempt to help encourage the player to use mounted units. I for one will be using it with the Mongols - 11xp right out of the city! :D

Gherald said:
Cannuck says Sacrificial Altar does not affect drafting, oh well
Where did he say that? Do you have a link for it?

Watiggi said:
Apparently they made horses have a preq. tech so that it would help stop the early mounted unit rushes. Now that it requires Animal Hunsbandry, I think it may have made Axe rushing more dominant. If all that is true, then maybe the Stables is an attempt to help encourage the player to use mounted units. I for one will be using it with the Mongols - 11xp right out of the city! :D

Where did he say that? Do you have a link for it?

Horses have had a preq. tech since one of the patchs.......

Flak said:
When will this poscast happen and will there be a transcript? I'd like to see if my question made it in and got answered.

Anybody know when will the poscast happen and will there be a transcript? I'd like to see if my question made it in and got answered.

Doomed_UK said:
Horses have had a preq. tech since one of the patchs.......
Yeah, I know. I think it was the first patch (v1.09). I do remember reading though that it made Axemen more dominant because it was now harder to build Horse Archers. I am thinking that this is a counter to encourage Horse Archers again or something.

Top Bottom