Civ4 Warlords Review on HookedGamers: 7/10

Thunderfall

Administrator
Administrator
There is also a Warlords review on HookedGamers, where the expansion received a 7 out of 10.

It is hard to put an overall value on the myriad of little things included in Warlords. The most dramatic changes are in the scenarios, which are segregated from the main game itself. Everything else... well, it is little. No sweeping changes, just tweaks and a double handful of new flavors. Is it worth it? That depends on what you're looking for - if you are deep into Civilization 4 and happy to have a little bit more variety, this will do nicely. If you love scenarios, this will do nicely. If you are looking for more, well... Maybe you'll get that in the next expansion to 2005's PC Game of the Year.

Did the reviewer explore the vassal system? It's probably one of the most significant gameplay change/addition in any Civ XP ever.

The reviewer is trying to review this like an XP to an RTS game, but what's great about Civ is it has somethig for almost everyone. As an SP epic game junkie I'm really happy with the additions to this XP. The scenarios are just a bonus, but truth be told I haven't even touched the scenarios from C3: Conquests. I'll get around to it eventually!

Journalists have the right to take a swing at Firaxis. It's their career, and if people cease to read their articles, it's the journalists' problem.

I would like to add: It's true that the added features don't affect the gameplay much, but that can be a positive thing. Civ4 has been a remarkably balanced game, and with each new patch, Firaxis has made changes to the gameplay for the better. I'd rather have a handful of new civs and three civ traits that overall don't affect the game instead of a disaster that unbalances it.

Top Bottom