Civ4 will have modability, but how about modularity?

TastySheriff

Chieftain
Anyone know how modular Civ4 will be? I havent modded since Civ2 and im wondering if this will be the same type of one-file-for-all kinda thing. I think what the civs is missing is the ability to download and easily add many minor edits to the game (such as a single civ, or a collection of units) from seperate files, for organizations sake. It would also make for easy distribution. What do you think?

TastySheriff said:
Anyone know how modular Civ4 will be? I havent modded since Civ2 and im wondering if this will be the same type of one-file-for-all kinda thing. I think what the civs is missing is the ability to download and easily add many minor edits to the game (such as a single civ, or a collection of units) from seperate files, for organizations sake. It would also make for easy distribution. What do you think?

I was just about to post something very similar to this...

I was wondering if we, the modding community that is, will be able to release "plug-n-play" mods, which only affect small things, and can be combined with other such mods with no modding being necessary (simply select which mods you want to use for any given game).

So, for example, you could have a Civil War mod, Supply Lines mod, Plateau Terrain mod, and several mods that just add a single civ to the game. You start a new game and choose to use the Plateau mod, the additional civs and the Civil War mod, but decide you don't want to bother with supply lines this game, so you don't use it - simply uncheck it in the list of mods.

Perhaps if this isn't possible in the initial release, Firaxis can make it possible with an expansion pack. Or, the SDK will allow us to add it in ourselves. I would love to see these combination mods (combo mods) a reality for Civ4, so I'll most likely be involved in any such effort by fans.

For an example game that has this sort of combo mod ability, look at The Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind - ok, it's not TBS, it's an RPG, but it's the same basic idea.

I spose if everything down to the core(s) will be moddable, then an intermediate between the core(s) and the moddable content would be possible. It just might get kinda... hairy. I wish that they released some modding documentation or at least the game's manual ahead of time for preorders. Im itchin for some civ'in. I know its too late for that, but maybe in Civ5 (or CivV for the romans out thar.)

I sure hope that will be possible. You could do it in Civ2?

If so I dont know why in the world they didnt do it in Civ3. but its seems that they are bringing back a lot of concepts from Civ2 into Civ4, so there might be a chance they have it built into Civ4.

If not, you can always put keywords into comment lines, then copy/paste the desired code into your own script. Of course, the writer would have to include additional information if, say, something else had to be deleted for the code to work properly, but it can all be in the comment lines. That's why they're there, after all.

Top Bottom