1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ5, 6 and BE in the future

Discussion in 'CivBE - General Discussions' started by WiseGreen, Aug 12, 2016.

1. WiseGreen

WiseGreen Chieftain

Just an idle thought, despite still thinking Civ5 is a better game than BE, I don't imagine myself coming back to the former once I get my hands on Civ6. Oddly enough, I think I might/will still play BE by then; despite its various flaws, I think Rising Tide managed to give the game its own, distinct flavor and identity, and the game is good enough for me to give it a try after Civ5 becomes another title in my Steam library I'll probably never play again. Does anyone else feel like it?

2. legalizefreedom

legalizefreedom Inefficiency Expert

Absolutely! I had a hard time playing Civ V after BERT. I prefer the setting.

Hopefully they finish BE, give it a second expansion and fill in the late game.

I will certainly never go back to Civ V once VI is out. V always left a bad taste in my mouth after that launch. I never completely forgave it. It wasn't until G&K that I thought it was mostly finished. I thought BNW was a mixed bag. Taking gold away from the map was a killer IMO.

3. Syrkres

Syrkres Chieftain

I am a Scifi fan, so prefer BE, likely won't even buy VI.

4. Barathor

Barathor Chieftain

I actually stopped playing/modding Civ 5 once Beyond Earth was released. :D

And I'm excited for Civ 6 and will play the heck out of it, but I'll probably still play BE (modded) too.

I'd be REALLY excited for a 2nd/final expansion to BE, even more than I am for Civ 6. If that doesn't happen some time next year, after the Civ 6 release, then I hope a BE 2 is at least in the works and utilizes the new game engine.

5. DefiantMars

DefiantMars Chieftain

6. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

I still have time for BE, and until a better version comes out I'll likely always have time for it. Even SMAC is dated for me these days, and boy have I put a lot of hours into that particular gem.

Kinda done with CiV. Everything I've seen about VI are good improvements, and I'm sure I'll get it. But I can't guess how long it'll hold my attention for. Sci-fi just keeps my attention longer, personal bias.

7. LetMyPeopleGo

LetMyPeopleGo Chieftain

I'm grabbing every video on youtube from the Let's play Civ VI to satisfy my hunger, -

then I come back to Civ BERT which is my new source of excitement and with which I still enjoy new discoveries, new ways to play and new tactics and -

then I go back to Civ V BNW to play with all the Civs I've never played with because I know once Civ VI is out Civ V is out too...

8. SahintheFalcon

SahintheFalcon Chieftain

Beyond Earth is a really good game, and the only reason that it died was because Civ V was better in the minds of the masses. Civ V pulled in lots of people who don't really play strategy games or people who didn't even play video games to begin with. You can't compete with that.

Let's hope Beyond Earth 2 will eventually come to fruition.

9. Westwall

Westwall Chieftain

And in practice.

Most people who played BE went back to Civ 5 not because they deluded themselves into thinking it was still better.

It's because it remains superior.

10. Sauron 3

Sauron 3 Chieftain

I liked Civ Revolution, I like Beyond Earth, but I cann't go back to play Civ 5. So I'm waiting for the Civ 6 and dreaming for one more DLC to BE with exclusive units for the each fraction.

11. Zeuel

Zeuel Chieftain

I am looking forward to Civ 6 but I'm more excited for what it could mean for a Beyond Earth 2. Once RT came out, I almost never touch Civ 5. About the only thing I really miss from Civ 5 are culture style/non-combat victories. It seems like in BE that starting work on Exodus Gate/Emancipation Gate/Mind Flower just invites everyone to declare war on you.

12. civguy43

civguy43 Chieftain

Did they ever fix the caravan trade route system? I couldnt stand having to deal with spending more time calculating different trade route gains, than actually playing the game.

For that reason I never could get behind BE

13. legalizefreedom

For the most part. It's no longer an issue in my eyes as the trade route filters they have in place do the trick. I would like a couple more filters added, but what is there is serviceable.

14. Ryika

Ryika likes cookies and milk.

Because of the way Trade Routes scale with City Processes there's not much to think about when wiring Trade Routes, other than making sure that the capital has a valid internal targets when it unlocks its extra trade route slot.

Other than that it's just:
    Can this City connect to capital? -> Yes? Do so. No? -> Can this City connect to your first expansion? Yes? Do so. No? -> Connect to third city.

But I still think the system just doesn't work very well. External Trade Routes are pretty useless, internal Trade Routes are op as ... as heck ... and in the end its just a lot of micromanagement.

15. Aldor

Aldor Chieftain

I don't mind the trade route system. It works fairly well now IMO, except for the "magically created" strategic resources from external trade routes.

For me, the biggest problems with the game are:

Non expansion of AI
    Its pretty much always so that the AI civs only build three cities (literally!) and then never more. Sometimes one will be four or five, but that's it.
    => An AI that does not expand cannot win the game, its that simple. Not sure if their expansion flavor needs to be turned up or something else, but this MUST change.

Hyperaggressive AI
    After building three cities the AI immediately starts building units and then wars for the rest of the game/their existence. It appears there's barely any break at all where they consolidate after a war...instead they jump right into the next one. And the old problem from Civ5 exists here: Why do they start new wars if they have only one or two cities left?

At the same time, I can usually completely avoid any war (except for the wonder war at the end), because I simply expand. I don't even build a big military, only garrison units, but that's apparently enough to deter the AIs.

Tame aliens
    IMO this was a big mistake (pun intended) of BE game design. The original game rules were better, aliens that would be non aggressive at first, but would turn on you if you came close to their nests. Now they are totally neutral. If you never fire a shot on them, you will have absolutely no trouble (only the occasional worm/kraken pillaging some improvements). The aliens should be much more aggressive and unforgiving.

I suppose that some of these things are so because I normally only play on the normal difficulty (Vostok). However if you compare this to Civ5 Prince setting, there the AIs expand if they can, and can play peaceful. Other than these things however, I still like the SciFi setting and the great map visuals of BERT. Same with the affinities.

16. legalizefreedom

I would agree that trade routes become same-y. New cities almost always want to connect to the highest foreign research (delta) bidder. Then after they can no longer get 2-3 times what they give in research, they want to go internal. Established cities want to focus on the newest cities first.

I really only use two of the filters, science delta (external) and highest production (internal). I would like to have a production delta for internal, but not many other complaints.

True it's more micro than decision making after about halfway through the game, but it works well enough.

17. Mount Suribachi

Mount Suribachi Chieftain

I think it's fair to say a LOT of people were disappointed with BE, me included - people who wanted it to be so much better than it was. Maybe unrealistic expectations was the problem, SMAC veterans like me who wanted a game of the same quality...it just didn't happen.

It was interesting, I was reading a really old Civ5 thread the other day from when the game first came out with lots of weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth over how simple and "dumbed down" the game was. 2 expansions and lots of patches later, and its almost like a new game. BE never had the same level of attention lavished on it to improve the base game.

I'm sure there will remain a core of BE fans for the foreseeable future. Not to mention a lot of people (me included) won't be buying Civ6 when it first comes out, waiting for the early patches and DLC to bring the game up to scratch.

18. Makenshi

Makenshi Ahoy, ye salty dogs!

Not so much time, tho'... DoW 3 is coming, and I'm sure The Emperor shall not find you wanting :D

Inquisitorial advice: don't forget where your loyalty lies... :espionage: <-- Tip: this is Adrastia! She's watching!

++ Thought for the day ++

The loyal slave learns to love the lash

19. LetMyPeopleGo

LetMyPeopleGo Chieftain

I was one of them, huge disappointment, and I posted about the "dumbed down" and about the game was now for kids probably (shortly after the new railways from Sid Meier came out). On my first game I entered some AI's territory with two Pikemen and was offered immediately 6 cities as an peace offer...

And here I'm still playing Civ V with great pleasure, hoping for the same miracle to happen to BE...

20. Acken

Acken Chieftain

Civ5 was mostly fixed after the first expansion. After neglecting it at release I was able to go back to it at that time (and ever since).

Rising Tide however didn't really change the base game and it also didn't get that much through patchs so if someone was disapointed by the original game things probably haven't changed much.