1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ5 available for preload on Steam - NOW (September, 13th)

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Technical Support' started by mjs0, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Yosomono

Yosomono Chieftain

Steam itself is capable of region-locking (I was locked out from Civ IV for a long time) but the Civilization games all have international versions now, and you should have no problem at all purchasing Civilization V. I live in Japan and pre-purchased the international version quite some time ago. The only difference is that the international versions unlock on the 24th instead of the 21st.

2. ZimbuTheMonkey

ZimbuTheMonkey King

Releasing the keys early would be like breaking the street date, so don't get your hopes up.

3. Zhahz

Zhahz PC Gamer

Did it hours ago when I first saw this thread.

4. Azazell

Azazell Prince

People having this pre-load version. Maybe can look in the folder TEXT and calculate number techs?

5. Tibblers

Tibblers Chieftain

I don't know the specifics of the deals they have with 2K and/or Steam and neither do you, but it's not breaking street date. Having the keys does not mean you get to play the game early; please refer to my earlier post for an explanation of what the key does.

6. Mustakrakish

Mustakrakish In 'Node' We Trust

Hmm... 4,551.4. So deluxe is the same size as regular? How does that work?

7. mjs0

mjs0 The 4th X

Maybe the additional content will be added on release day in the inevitable 0-day patch?
    ...or maybe the deluxe content is present in all downloads but hidden somehow?

8. PieceOfMind

PieceOfMind Drill IV Defender Retired Moderator

Pretty likely IMO. I'm sure lots of people have already made this speculation, but it would make sense for multiplayer compatibility between people with/without the Babylon DLC. I'm guessing you'd have a better idea than me though.

9. mjs0

mjs0 The 4th X

Yeah, it would make sense, but I have hunted through the filenames and cannot find any evidence. Still absence of evidence is not, of course, evidence of absence. :)
    I have bought two copies of the game (for my wife and me; the kids will have to wait a while!), but unfortunately I can't compare the two since I can only preload the standard game which we got directly from Steam; the Deluxe edition was ordered at D2D so we are waiting on them to release the key.

10. gstommylee

gstommylee Warlord

How exactly would it break street date? We can't exactly play the game until it unlocks on steam which won't happen until the 21st for N/A and 24th for international.

11. Beardy Dan

Beardy Dan Warlord

Anyone got a Manual yet? There are PDF Readme's, which are encrypted of course :mad:.

The EULA is encrypted too, I need to know if my firstborn child is still mine :p.

12. gstommylee

gstommylee Warlord

Yea everything's encrypted until release time.

13. ZimbuTheMonkey

ZimbuTheMonkey King

So I suppose it's okay for stores to do the same, right? It's EXACTLY like breaking the street date. Street dates have nothing to do with actually PLAYING the game, it's when the games are sold. The release date is the 21st and 24th, depending on your region.

I know how Steamworks games work, you don't need to lecture me.

EDIT: You are correct about no one knowing the specifics of the deal. But if there's no deal, and D2D releases the keys, it's like breaking the street date.

14. Zhahz

Zhahz PC Gamer

Just a guess, but if Steam had said "pre-order with us, we'll have preloads and nobody else will" - that most people would've preordered thru them. Some extra DLC via someone else, or the ability to activate and play the moment the game is live instead of DLing for a few hours on top of counting down the moment for months. Yeah.

15. Evocatus

Evocatus Chieftain

Been checking out the folders and files of Civ5, since I ordered my copy through Steam. The files seem to be structured similarly to Civ4. Here is some information on the music.

America has 71 music tracks. Asia has 70. Europe has 76. The Middle East and Africa have 54. All regions have playlists for peace, war and either. All leaders have peace and war music. I tried playing the tracks, but I got an error from Windows Media Player.

16. mjs0

mjs0 The 4th X

All of the files are encrypted until release day, including mp3, pdf, xml, ... all of them.
    Once the game is unlocked (on the 21st/24th) the files will be unencrypted and media player should work just fine to play them.

17. Evocatus

Evocatus Chieftain

Thanks, that makes sense.

18. lietkynes

lietkynes Hello sword !

The game comes with 5 languages (English, German, French, Italian, Spanish), so there are no local versions of the game, everyone has the same.

19. JasX

JasX Chieftain

hell, what do you expect to achieve with support tickets? I suggest doing this properly hitting here as a large mass of disatisfied customers:

http://corp.ign.com/contact/

Some points to raise:

-isn't adopting a business strategy where your customers will be amongst the last in the world to access the game a bit a bit narrow minded for a digital distribution company?

-criticise the lack of information they provide via support to their paying customers.

-swear you'll never purchase from D2D again after this debacle

-highlighting the trouncing they're taking on the very popular forums of one of the most successful game franchises of all times, suggest some positive communication on the subject might limit the long term damage they're doing to their reputation?

That contact list in full:

Charlie Barrett, SVP Sales & Business Development
    Kym Nelson, VP Game Sales
    Scott Bender VP Consumer Sales
    Louis Timchak, Regional VP West Brand Sales
    Peer Schneider, Publisher & SVP of Content
    Julie Uhrman, GM Digital Distribution
    Steve Cassavant, VP Strategy & Business Development
    Roshanna Sabaratnam, Senior Director, Business Development
    Kris Sharbaugh, Senior Communications Manager

...If anyone fancies a crack researching/working out the standard IGN corporate email format we'll be able to hit their inboxes directly and hike up the pressure again :egypt:

20. ZimbuTheMonkey

ZimbuTheMonkey King

What debacle? On what grounds are you "dissatisfied"?

You want to criticism D2D after they give us the best deal for Civ? They never promised early keys, why would they even break the release date?

What's the matter with you? Stop trying to create a controversy where none exists.