Civ5 & Earth maps

I've been quite impressed when I saw the different terrain graphics for the continents in ciV and I've tried to improve Rhye's Earth maps with them.

I didn't just separate the different continents for this, I actually used the "paint" option in the World Builder to add diversity in each continent.

Here's my scenario file. If someone would like to see the result in the game and give some feedback, it would be really appreciated. I think this could be a nice addition to any other Earth map, as to make them more beautiful without completely changing graphic files.

Attachments

• RhyesConverted_Continents.zip
    11.3 KB · Views: 211
Hi all, I've been lurking for awhile with great interest (very much enjoyed RFC in CivIV) ... am posting a series of game saves using the large (150) map Rhye posted awhile back with Bismarck (no mods loaded, prince difficulty, latest update of CivV) -- got as close as I could to the save dates (forgot a couple of times and drifted a bit)

At least up to 1900 (I haven't finished playing the game out fully yet), I had no trouble with excessively long load times or turn processing -- the latest patch seems to have much improved lag issues. If it's relevant, I'm running on a Toshiba Satellite L500D, 4Gb RAM, AMD Sempron M100 2Ghz processor, 64-bit Windows 7.

As far as gameplay on the map --> Definitely plenty of maneuvering room in Europe, I never saw any major geography-related tactical problems fighting with France or Russia -- had intermittent wars with both (ended up invading and holding the Rhineland and the bulk of the Baltic coast). The high river density on this map was pretty fun, created heterogeneity in terrain without making it impassable. Access to Rome was pretty restricted, so we basically both left each other alone the whole game so far. Sadly, the AI is pretty miserable so the major challenge was keeping my happiness and economy up, which is quite a challenge because of the relative paucity of luxury resources on the current map. Fortunately (for me), the AI is too stupid to hunt for and acquire distant resources.

I'll probably play the map some more with different civilizations (and maybe loading the Economy mod), I'll post those saves too if that would be helpful ...

Attachments

• RFCbigmap_Bismarck_Banman.zip
    4.1 MB · Views: 157
thanks. Just wondering, is it true that archers can attack through the English channel?
If that's true, this has to be changed in the SDK. And it is not released yet, right?
Looks really like civ5 came out way too early. We can just wait. It's a game that will hopefully become good in 2011 or 2012.
I hope that by the time I'm in Italy (and I'll have a bit more time to dedicate), at least the new patch is released.

thanks. Just wondering, is it true that archers can attack through the English channel?
If that's true, this has to be changed in the SDK. And it is not released yet, right?
Looks really like civ5 came out way too early. We can just wait. It's a game that will hopefully become good in 2011 or 2012.
I hope that by the time I'm in Italy (and I'll have a bit more time to dedicate), at least the new patch is released.

Hi Rhye, so any update on RFC for civ V? I bought civ V put I then realise I couldn' play it without RFC!!:D

Úmarth;9958683 said:
Assuming the English channel is one tile wide, yes.

In Civ V with the 1UPT rule (and ranged combat) you really need to size up the RFC-map. Anyone who has a CPU problem start saving money right now to make your computer 'Civ V-proof'.

I have just recently bought a new system. Build it myself. I recommend that, because it's way cheaper than buying an already built system.

I have a quad-core (3+ Ghz) AMD processor, 4 GB RAM and a 1 GB ATI graphics card and Civ V still has at least 5 seconds loading time between turns. Generally 8 seconds.
In comparison: Civ IV loading time has dropped to between 0.1 and 2 second loading time for me, even RFC at modern era.

I must admit I run both games at maximum quality.

Graphic quality doesn't matter much anyway, because most of the lategame lags or large map lags come from the massive amount of calculations on the CPU and RAM accesses.

Africa looks way too large and South Asia too small.

You can make out France's victory conditions in one of the screenshots, and they're almost exactly the same as RFC's - just with the dates and wording changed. That goes a little beyond "inspired by" if you ask me :/

Exactly. I mean, it's no problem to use Rhye's UHVs for a Civ5 modmod, but he could've at least mentioned his name somewhere.

I apologize for my hard-headed attitude of recent. Though I HAVE created
a map to show atleast abit of what I am referring to.

Now most of the reason
for my posting this now is because I have actually had time to make edits to
the map that I have been bringing up. But also had the experience of playing
on a proportionatly-correct world map; and it was a NIGHTMARE with europe.

I used the map ecv uploaded, if there is ANYTHING at all wrong with that I apologize.

Here:

Attachments

• Rhye's Converted.zip
    10.8 KB · Views: 150
Time for an update.

I have downloaded the DLC and finally had a look more in depth in Civ5. I hadn't been launching it for 3 months.

-> First of all: I made auto play tests.

The 150 world map takes 3 hours to load for 350 turns (necessary America)
The 128 world map takes 2 hours and half. A bit disappointed by just a 30% reduction.
I have the feeling that the 150 one is a bit too large anyway. I've seen empires with 20 cities or more. Therefore, I think that the final one will be obtained enlarging the 128 one in the areas where's needed, up to around 134.

-> It is sooo slow, however, that I cannot just say "buy a new computer" to anyone who hasn't got a NASA desktop PC, because it's very slow for me too, and I cannot work with it.

-> On the other hand, "buy a 5$ DLC" sounds more reasonable. However, a "placeholder" version with the basic 18 civs can be added later

-> I've made a new timeline, different from RFC too (even longer classical age)

-> As it's so slow, a 600 AD start sounds again a good idea to halve loading times.

-> As far as I know, there is no C++ code released. I think that many core changes will not be possible without that (es. settlers maps)

-> Appartently, I'm dumb or either civ5 is not as modder-friendly as it claims.
The debug panel seems useless (try to add a unit and you'll see)
The tuner seems more useful but can't get how to do very simple things, like changing a terrain
The world builder doesn't even have a copy/paste function

EDIT> mod buddy problem solved

I think in future I will need a couple of coders (that possibly know Lua) to do some of the practical work.

Then did some speed tests and proved workers were causing MASSIVE lagging, if they got the fixed the 150 map would more likely be an hour

Have anyone seen this thread yet?

Kruelgor's Huge Earth
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=390123

It might be interesting. I think it's the closest to RFC in Civ V yet.

I'm going to test it now.

I just played a game as Egypt. Africa is the perfect size! This was one of the most enjoyable games of Civ I've played yet. I can't wait for RFC!

On a slightly more critical note, my game crashed around turn 300 several times. So far, Civ5 had never crashed. Perhaps the map is a little large. Have you seen it yet, Rhye?

Shame on us who doubted you Rhye!

Though may I ask, are there going to be more rivers? As the last map
was missing several important rivers, such as those rivers in the middle
of siberia, the oder, one of the Danube Rivers, the Blue Nile, and another
river here and there.

But enough of that. I eagerly anticipate the completion of this map!

Top Bottom