1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ5 Pre-order Bonus and DLC

Discussion in 'News Updates' started by Thunderfall, Jul 21, 2010.

1. mamba

mamba Deity

DLC is pretty much the same as a smaller expansion pack. Why did noone complain about expansions in the past ?
    Granted, there will be more DLC packs than there were expansions for CIV 4, but that does not change the basic principle, both add features and civs to the game.

Enjoy whatever you end up with.

2. heihojin

heihojin Prince

The reasons fewer, larger expansions didn't create problems for multiplayer Civ were:
    1. The pool of players for each expansion was sufficiently large,
    2. each player who purchased an expansion had access to ALL content in that expansion, and
    3. it was possible to balance each expansion individually to account for all content introduced in that expansion.

None of these conditions will hold true for smaller, "optional," more numerous DLC updates.

3. Drakarska

Drakarska Epic Dadness

I'm afraid I have to disagree with you on some aspects of this Sir. While Firaxis may be bending over backwards to to make this version for "hardcore" fans, IMO 2k is bending us over backwards in order to reap the full gaming experiance of this version. Firaxis may not be willing to sell us out, but I'm definitely not convinced about 2k.

4. Forsaken

Forsaken Chieftain

wow what a way to promote piracy
    I hate that DLC @#%$

5. gazius

gazius Warlord

If I buy the D2D version, since it ships with steam, if I reformat my computer, will I be able to redownload the game from steam?

6. mamba

mamba Deity

I doubt it, in that case anyone who installed the game (whether from a DVD or not) could download it off Steam. The game just uses Steamworks for its registration and online games, registering it via that does not make it a Steam purchase.

If you bought it from Steam, you can redownload it from there. If you bought it from D2D, download it again from D2D (they appear to offer that).

7. gazius

gazius Warlord

I bought Empire: Total War and it worked that way, figured it would work for Civ V as well. Oh well.

8. Maltose

Maltose Chieftain

I am 99.99% sure that mamba is wrong. If your cd-key registers on Steam, it basically counts as if you had bought the game on Steam (barring any Steam exclusive preorder DLC, of course). You'll be able to download the game through Steam, Steam bans will keep you from playing the game, etc. I've not had a single game that was registered on Steam, but couldn't be downloaded through the Steam client.