1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ5 promotions from military buildings vs. Civ6

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Tomice, Feb 22, 2019.

1. Tomice

Tomice Passionate Smart-Ass

Civ5 gave us free promotions from military buildings, while in civ6, encampment buildings only give a bonus to earning promotions.
    Was there a specific reason to change this?

I was just thinking that the old system would help to solve a few issues in civ6:
    - Encampments would be more desirable to build
    - Upgrading would no longer be strictly better than newly building units.
    - Unit lines like scouts and carriers would be easier to upgrade.

Also, peaceful players wouldn't be mostly locked out of a fun part of the game.

Opinions?

Also, was there ever a mod that changed things back to the old system?
    Haven't found any, but it's a hard to search topic (very common phrases)

2. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

If you're a peaceful player your army shouldn't be as good as that of a warmonger. I wouldn't mind if you could get the 1st, maybe 2nd, promotion from buildings but elite veterans should be the product of experience.

3. MrRadar

MrRadar Emperor

There was a very good post as to the 'why the change' on a similar thread.

4. Tomice

Thank you Mr. Radar, I quoted it here for further reference:

The problem here is:
    - A civ5-style system would give you 90 free experience (what's needed to reach lvl 4)
    - To earn 90 free XP with the current system, you would first need to earn 120 xp from combat

In other words, it would take 60 extra XP to go from lvl 4 to 5 in a civ5 system.
    In the currently implemented civ6 system, you need 86xp to reach lvl5 even if the unit was built from a military academy. Not to mention it has to survive several battles in its weak, unpromoted state.
    Sure, on the way up to very high levels, the civ6 system would eventually overtake, but it's a long way to get to this point.

Edit:
    If I calculated correctly, the civ6 system reaches lvl6 (225xp) and onwards faster

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
  5. Tomice

Warmongers would still have higher promotions!
    Peaceful civs would stay at 3 promotions max, while warmongers would start there and go further up.

6. Jaybe

Jaybe civus fanaticus Supporter

By whichever system, civ5 or 6, better-trained units should cost more production AND potentially more maintenance.

And I STILL want to be able to rename my units as soon as they appear, or at ANYtime thereafter.

7. Mr. Shadows

Mr. Shadows Nomad of the time streams

The promotions are shiny and attractive but it's the insta-heal that matters. A fresh unit from a military academy will get its first and second insta-heals so fast that it can fight continuously until the second heal is spent. That's a huge force multiplier that makes a fresh unit better than a promoted one.

8. Sostratus

Sostratus Emperor

Well I'm pretty sure that units lose the bonus to exp rate when they level up, like many other promotions they get from things like natural wonders.
    @Victoria is the expert in that, though.

Even if it was restricted so that such units only got one free promotion, you'd still have things like Janissaries starting at 2, so they could have 3 move right away. Don't even get me started on how dangerous it would be making it easier for Incans to amass more Ambush warak'aqs would be.
    I do miss it though, especially how if you had autocracy or brandenburg gate you could get that delicious 60xp promo for Uber bombers.

9. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

Yup, lazy mechanics, no memory, just field modification.

10. Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing Vote for me or die

I guess it makes more sense?

No amount of training makes up for actual experience. It makes sense that training makes it easier to become experienced. Also promotions in the game are rather strong. +7 combat is a lot and a veteran army with promotions utterly squashes one that does not.

Maybe a free promotion with a military academy? Give a reason to actually build one.