Civ5 sets always set some settings to low.

Sjru

Dragon
Hi there, I'm looking for some help because everytime I launch civ5, the game sets some graphical settings to low, even if I change them to high.

Shadow quality terrain, terrain mosaic and shadow quality, those settings are always reverted each time I launch civ5 to low.
It's more annoying because if I change them In-game it says that I have to restart the game to have effect. (But it does reset again when I do).

So, in short: I've decided to edit those settings directly in graphicsettings.ini which is the .ini which holds the settings.
However I don't know where to look to edit such settings to high. Anyone can help me? Thanks.-

So, nobody can help me? Not even to tweak the graphicsettings.ini?
I just need to know where do I have to tweak to have the settings fixed to high.

Hey man!

Have you updated the graphic drivers? Also, can you post the specs of your system?

Hey man!

Have you updated the graphic drivers? Also, can you post the specs of your system?

They're up-to date. I believe is mainly because I got windowsXP.

I've got an AMd64x2 2.7ghz, 2gb ram ddr2 and Gts450 running on XPsp3.

Still the fastest fix should be on the .ini, since somehow the game resets some options to medium automatically

See, this is my graphic details part of the graphicsettingsdx9.ini
Code:
[GraphicsDetailSettings]

HDStrategicView = 1

OverlayLevel = 2

ShadowLevel = 3

ReflectionLevel = 2

TextureQuality = 1

FOWLevel = 3

TerrainDetailLevel = 3

TerrainTessLevel = 2

TerrainShadowQuality = 3

TerrainWaterQuality = 2

I need to know where I have to tweak to get Quality terrain, terrain mossaic and shadow quality to high. So far I've tried tweaking the values, but some options have different values, so texture quality = 1 means high and the same settings on Fowlevel means low.

[Bump] Yes, bump. I've waited enough.

I cannot find a solution for this but to try-and-error practices (tweak the settings a bit and then start the game) but that would take days to test all of them (since game takes so long to load).

Does anyone know where do I have to tweak to have those settings stuck at high? Thanks in advance.

hhmm....the basic question here is, if the settings are set to low when you start a new game, or if they are not really saved after making the changes.

I think it might rather be the first case, so that could be solved by removing writing access in the file properties.

It might be that, but also I see the solution could bring problems.
I'll check if the game changes the settings while on-game and then proceed to see if I get some results.

Yeah, some settings, such as the LeaderHeads are not available over medium on dx9.
However, I can set almost all the other settings to high, just that the game reverts some of them to low when I restart the game.

Did you find a solution Sj? I have the exact issue :confused:
This became a problem when I went from a 9800gt to gtx460 under XP.

I reinstalled the older card and all settings available under dx9; put new one in and those 3 revert to "low". Something about the civ5/XP/GTX 460 combo that's causing the problem. Getting Win7 soon and hopefully that will cure it.

update: called 2k support, they had me verify the game cache but that didn't help.

Nope, still with the same issue. Weird, because I've also sometime ago changed from a 8600 to a Gts450.

Dunno what I have to do to fix this.

After many back-n-forth with 2k & Nvidia support, this problem is unresolved :(

Tried that - game ignores changes above "low" to GraphicsSettingsDX9 folder for those 3 specific settings. Is there another folder that contains the same settings? ... and yeah, I'm hoping Win7 fixes this silliness. :crazyeye:

Tried that - game ignores changes above "low" to GraphicsSettingsDX9 folder for those 3 specific settings. Is there another folder that contains the same settings? ... and yeah, I'm hoping Win7 fixes this silliness. :crazyeye:

Dude, I doubt it's related to Win7, since I got XP, it's the game that somehow misreads something and set the settings back to low. Also I've tried setting the file to read-only. It doesn't work and I believe it can cause trouble, so untick that option.

And yes, BTW; this is a bump.

Gotta bump the thread again. I have not solved my problem.

Just a curiousity: The game states that I need to restart it when I modify those affected settings (Those that are set on low at start).
It's really necessary? Or there is a way round it?

Unfortunately I have to bump this thread again. I don't really want to generate spam.
I hope somebody could pop up with a solution or a fix.

Sorry, yet I have to bump this one. Still an issue with no solutions. If nobody can help me, please speak aloud so I can shut up, but in the meantime I need suggestions.

I still feel that it's linked to running in DX9

Maybe... but I don't think so... because in previous versions (two patches after release) I didn't had this problem. It was until recently, 2 or 3 patches before.

Anyways, the only fix I can think upon is to edit the graphicsettings.ini and manually set the options of the game to high, however I don't know what the numbers mean and I need guidance on that. Of course I can just blindly modify it, but that would take a lot of time, which I don't usually have.

Top Bottom