1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ5 - shipping with Steamworks * plus Digital Deluxe Edition

Discussion in 'News Updates' started by V. Soma, May 6, 2010.

1. joasoze

joasoze Chieftain

"The Steam happy people" seems to miss the point of the "The Steam not so happy people"

The problem is not that it is on Steam, its that it is Steam only. You have to install the Steam software even if you buy it at Gamestop. This is what many have a problem with. Many players play single player only and dont want the Steam functionality.

The Steam only thing also raises the question of Steam getting too much market power. When huge games like CIV V comes on one platform only, that creates an uncomfortable feeling for many.

Saying that "I am happy with Steam and there is no problem" doesnt address the concerns that many people have over this.

2. TCMIV

TCMIV Barış Manço

Steam is not the only way to purchase this game

Steam IS required to play the game, obviously this means more sales of the game through steam which is good for them, but it's also good for firaxis who get to use steam to release patches, DLC, etc.

This streamlines things for Firaxis, which hopefully means they'll be able to spend more resources on improving the game.

3. V. Soma

V. Soma long time civ fan

These are important questions, so 2K Elizabeth, I also wait for the answers to them.

4. Le Sage

Le Sage Chieftain

1. It wasn't an argument. It was a question.

2. Of course you don't.

3/4 Then why include that Steam? Why pay extra and have to fiddle with Steam when I just want to play Civ? And yeah. You're right. It's a Firaxis issue.

5. OK. I misunderstood Steams functionality. Still, what's the use for Steam then? i don't get what it will be so necesary for. I won't fork out extra for stuff I don't use and want.

6. Right.

5. joasoze

joasoze Chieftain

Well, its all fine and dandy for everyone except the consumers that dont want/need one more application on their machine no matter where they buy the game. I guess we agree on the facts, but disagree if it is a bad thing or not.

6. Newcomer24

Newcomer24 Chieftain

Could you please tell me a single game that has not been cracked? Civ5 will be no different, it will be cracked and you will be able to play it without Steam. DRM is just stupid, it doesn't stop piracy, it only harms honest costumers. Fortunately... some developers are starting to understand this... too bad Firaxis didn't.

7. Le Sage

Le Sage Chieftain

I've changed my mind, although I am seriously unhappy with this Steam-stuff. I am indeed going to give it a chance before throwing it all out the window. If it doesn't work as I want, I'll go back to Civ4. No use in being stonewall against something I've not seen in practice yet and I know too little about Steam and Civ5 still.

I was actually going to give Steam a go already too. I was going to sign up even, possibly even buy Colonization, but I got a 404 not found when I did the form. Haha! It's God's way of telling me what it's all about. :crazyeye:

8. Don Promillo

Don Promillo Chieftain

I don't like it either, but Tools like Steam it will be the future in gaming. And if they can offer me "shared playing" on different computers and maybe playing "via webbrowser" eventually it's a feature worth thinking about!

At least this Steam-stuff seems to be working in comparism to the ubisoft copy protection nonsense!

9. Le Sage

Le Sage Chieftain

It's a pity I just feel it's being forced upon me in a way. I am not a fan of monopoly situations and big market leaders. I am unsure if Firaxis could have found a smaller and more unknown Steam-like-thing. They could perhaps have supported and used a smaller Steam-thingy instead.

But what do I know. I'm just a bloke playing, loving and modding a game and now feel that something outside is ruining it and has been imposed upon me. That's my feeling and I think it's shared, judging from the discussions here.

I am giving it a go though. I pride myself in having an open mind. :crazyeye:

10. phoinix

phoinix Chieftain

So most people don't want Steam because it is something you don't actually need to play CiV. Ok then follow me through this:
    1) Civ is going to have some form of DRM protection, presumably a kind of DRM that does online authentication yes?
    2) That functionality would be integrated with the game anyway, if it didn't come with Steam yes?
    3) To people that don't see any benefits to Steam, it is just a DRM service yes?

What's the difference in it being Steam or integrated to Civ??
    "Steam treats me like a walking wallet instead of a human being"...Get over it, your :):):):)ing politicians treat you as walking votes instead of a human being and Steam is what bothers you?

I wished that it didn't have DRM too, but that is not going to happen. So get real. The year's 2010 and internet connections are beginning to be considered standard. It also means online distribution services are becoming a trend. The real issue isn't Steam, but DLCs.

11. V. Soma

V. Soma long time civ fan

Dear 2K Elizabeth,

Explain me, please, why continental Europe has to pay prices that are so much more than in UK?
    If you are so keen on geographical differences, aou could lower prices for Eastern Europe, you know, here people make/have much less money... about 5-10 times less...

12. CivFanMUC

CivFanMUC Chieftain

Just one question:

Is there any possibility that in some point in the near future there will be a patch that removes the forced Steam-Usage from the Game?

(That day will be the day I'll buy Civ5... I bought Civ IV a week after it got released, gifted it two times to my family and friends, bought Civ IV Complete three times (again, for me, family and friends) but I (and many others, as can be read in this thread) won't spend a single penny for Civ 5 if I'm forced to use Steam. Playing and loving Civilization for almost 20 years I'm really disappointed about your Steam-decision.)

13. TCMIV

TCMIV Barış Manço

The game isn't even out, how would there be a patch in the near future for a nonexistent game :lol: I highly doubt there will be, as the game sounds like it's being made for use with steam only, and I'm sure there would be something in the Firaxis/Steam agreement that prohibits this.

14. CivFanMUC

CivFanMUC Chieftain

Ubi did it with Anno 1404. Ok it was "just" the "TAGES"-Customer-Protection (there is no copy-protection^^) which was removed with a patch about a year after it's release.

Serveral polls in Civ-related forums speak it's own language. Everywhere there are about 50% wo won't buy the game because of this forced steam-******.
    And threads like this one here grow longer and longer. So to get the other half of possible customers to buy the game, 2K/Firaxis should eventually consider to remove this "feature".

15. arstal

arstal Say No 2 Net Validations

Another way this could be bad.

At least one BTS mod broke the game, and I don't mean changed something in a way people didn't like- the patch added in a major bug or crash that was patched out very shortly, but not immediately.. This occured shortly after launch as well (I think there was a similar case as well in a previous version, so it wasn't just a one-time deal)

with Steamworks, you cannot revert your game, or reinstall and download the previous patch somewhere- so if Firaxis screws up, the game may be unplayable for a few days.

Impulse and GG are more customer-friendly then Steam. Those are the tools we as consumers should be promoting right now. All the community features in the world don't mean crap if you have issues playing your game (which Steam can provide, and GG/Impulse avoids entirely)

16. TCMIV

TCMIV Barış Manço

50% against steam means nothing unless you're polling a large part of the Civ community.

I'd hardly call around 100 votes decisive.

Also, I don't think a few days of the game being unplayable is the end of the world. Either way, that part is in the hands of Firaxis/2K, not steam.

17. Rince Wind

Rince Wind Chieftain

I'm not going to buy CiV when it comes with Steam anyway, but I have a question, just out of curiosity:
    Steam is used to distribute mods and stuff, so if Steam goes broke, will there still be mods around? Or would buyers just be able to play vanilla?

18. CivFanMUC

CivFanMUC Chieftain

Talk to the Australians who weren't able to play Settlers 7 the whole Easter-Weekend.

19. Bluetooth

Bluetooth King

Steam is OK for me. What I don’t like is to be punished if I don’t buy the digital version or buy the game from Steam.

20. Bagge

Bagge Chieftain

I intensely dislike the trend that you can pay real-life money to get in-game bonuses. A Special Edition should include stuff like artwork, soundtrack and various other swag, not exclusive in-game content.

This, coupled with DLC and a reliance on Steam, is making me think twice about buying Civ V.