1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ5 - shipping with Steamworks * plus Digital Deluxe Edition

Discussion in 'News Updates' started by V. Soma, May 6, 2010.

1. 501st Legion

501st Legion Warlord

Greetings 2K Elizabeth, I have a followup question - will there be a boxed version of the deluxe edition?

2. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

This is obviously a very heated debate, with reasonable people falling on both sides with good points. But no matter where you stand personally or what you think, I hope you appreciate what Elizabeth from 2K is doing here. Very professional, and friendly, and willing to answer what she can. Thank you!

I did the customer service gig for an online company for several years--it's not easy, and it's often a pretty thankless and stressful job.

3. cccv

cccv King

ok, here's a question. The impression I have-- and this may be wrong-- is that Babylon is DLC, but not necessarily a deluxe exclusive. If that's the case, how much will Babylon alone be if I get it individually and not with the deluxe package and the behind the scenes stuff that I could not possibly care less about? Because if it's like a dollar I can tolerate that without too much grumbling. It actually might be better than having to buy an expansion with other civs I don't want (Holy Roman Empire >.>) lumped with it.

4. Rusty Edge

Rusty Edge Deity

:agree: Brief and to the point!

I don't object to anti-piracy measures. American currency has undergone changes to prevent counterfeiting, and made it a little nicer in the process. I'd be happy to have a DRM check in order to patch, especially if it the patch came with a slight graphic enhancement such as sparks in melee battles or mud flying from my horse's hooves and tank tracks or a couple of new random events or sound effects.

Paying for downloadable content may even be a corporate edict, but I think it's a bad idea and a wrong turn. If it results in multiple current versions of the core game of Civ, it risks MP or PBEM, or Hall of Fame compatabillity, and hinders rather than helps Modding. For that matter, it has similar bad effects on the forums. I'd hate to see players be able to buy an advantage.

I really hope that this premium new Babylonian civ and Mesopotamian map are part of a scenario rather than the core game.

I hope that rather than nickel and diming us with piecemeal DLC, Civ V will have regular annual expansions for sale on discs with new leaders and civs, so that most of us can plan for and look forward to, and stay on the same core version, students included.

Thanks for reading 2K Elizabeth.

5. shulec

shulec Grrrrr... I AM the force! Hall of Fame Staff

I am an idiot. When I see Civ V priced at $49.99, I think I actually believe it costs me approximately $40, not approximately $50. When I see Civ V Deluxe priced at $59.99, I actually believe it costs me approximately $50, not approximately $60.

I am an idiot. When I see Civ V requiring steam, I think I understand that I am being protected from pirating of the software that ultimately raises the cost of the game keeping its price at $49.99/$59.99, therefore saving me money. I don't think it gives a larger bottom line for Firaxis/2k.

I am an idiot. I can't wait to buy Leonardo's Workshop for my Civ 5 game to upgrade all of my units cheaper. Will that be part of the deluxe 4 or deluxe 5 upgrade and how much is that going to cost me?

I am an idiot. I will be the first to say I don't know a thing about steam and didn't hear about it until this thread came out. I do instantly know that I don't like it. It annoys me in the same way that it annoys me that my mother and father (both age 65) still use AOL mail and an AOL browser. I realize that I don't know the first thing about steam, but it sounds like it regulates things the same way that AOL does. I guess I will wait until 2015 and buy Civ V for 10 bucks and all 13 upgrades for 10 cents apiece.

6. Le Sage

Le Sage Emperor

I'm looking forward to those features explaining the functions of Civ5 and Steam 2ksElizabeth is talking about.

As always, we really need to wait and see how things develop, but there's a real concern around here about this. Steam's people have obviously been lurking and replying on this thread too, and maybe they could take a more active role in answering the questions about Steam and its functions and not let 2K take all the heat.

My real concern right now is Downloadable Content. Steam is really OK. DLC isn't.

7. Nekator

Nekator Master of Desaster

Some people like getting spanked too... many don´t!

Honestly bringing out "Deluxe Versions" with parts cut from the main game, is very bad marketing. We´re not COD kiddies, who buy Map Packs for a ridiculous price, whatever the content is.

I, for my part, am not that much troubled about the steam thing (alas it´s highly unnecessary, since CIV is one of the greatest offline games.. but that´s your choice).
    But trying such cheap Rip Offs, is making me very very mad. I will look into this, especially about how modable CIV 5 really will be, and if it´s not easy to mod your own civilizations, which will make this an even more important cut from the main game, this might very well be the first CIV game i won´t buy.. and i´m surely not the only one. Ingame Stuff is imo pretty poor choice for "Deluxe Versions" anyway.. but if it´s important content, which should be in the main game that´s simply not tolerable!

Also if you want to improve the online play for this game, how about the problems if one player has the 19th civ and the other doesn´t??

8. Nekator

Nekator Master of Desaster

I´m really fearing about the modability for this game as of right now... wouldn´t surprise me, if they made the leaders a, unmodable or b, that complicate to mod, that it´s nearly unmodable... :(

9. shulec

shulec Grrrrr... I AM the force! Hall of Fame Staff

I would like to see Civ V Standard edition called "Civ V Incomplete".
    I would like to see Civ V Deluxe edition called "Civ V Complete"

Let's be honest.

10. Rusty Edge

Rusty Edge Deity

Do you mind if I use that?

11. arstal

arstal Say No 2 Net Validations

I respect the job also, but I won't buy the game until it drops in price heavily, or I can play the game without Steam or a non-official workaround. I'm willing to wait- or say no sale.

Just wait for the Civ mod of Elemental that will happen.

12. Tee Kay

Tee Kay Justice guaranteed

:clap:

DRM isn't too bad. The DLC part though I find offensive.

13. Pumpkinreaper

Pumpkinreaper Chieftain

I don't get the steam hate.

It doesn't eat up much system resources, allows easy re-downloading of titles, an overlay so you can quickly switch between chatting with people on steam and playing whatever (rather than put the game into windowed mode) and you still can go into offline mode whenever as long as you pop on once every 30 days.

I don't get what's so special about the deluxe version though. It's just another civilization, a ripped sound track and listening to the developers talk about how awesome civ 5 is when you could care less and be playing the actual game.

14. Honkoid

Honkoid Honk of the hill

Since I find no better place I want to express my disappointment here. I thought CiV would be a must-buy for me, but having to install steam makes me really reluctant, as I don't want anyone to control in any way how and when I play what version of CiV.
    I don't want to be forced to install third party programs I don't trust. And that would be the case with steam. Instead I'd probably wait for an illegal version, although I'd like to have the original and support Firaxis. Companies are doing their best to make the honest customer the idiot. :(

15. Pumpkinreaper

Pumpkinreaper Chieftain

It's literally like 2 minutes of setting up and is used by most people these days.

edit: In truth, I'd be STOKED that considering the current turn of events that Civ V hasn't been stuck with DRM akin to what Ubisoft has been doing.

16. arstal

arstal Say No 2 Net Validations

I personally find Steam annoying.

17. Pumpkinreaper

Pumpkinreaper Chieftain

How so? It's pretty much the same as navigating a start menu.

18. scratchthepitch

scratchthepitch King

I had written off Civ with #4, but some of the talked about changes in #5 at least got me thinking that maybe #5 might be worth taking a look at - if there was a demo to try it out first.

But this drm/steam required and dlc crud went and killed my interest again. Money grubs to the end, I guess...

19. Pumpkinreaper

Pumpkinreaper Chieftain

While steam is a form of DRM, it's probably the next best thing to a serial key. I'm really not seeing the rationale behind how it's a bad platform. It's basically a messenging program you launch games from.

20. Lord Xavius

Lord Xavius Mostly Lurking

I'm not saying I want it to be that way, but if it did come to that, I might consider it if the civilization in question is interesting enough.

In my opinion, the best solution would be to release new civilizations free with major patches, somewhat like what World of Warcraft does, but I guess that wouldn't be as profitable.