1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ5 - shipping with Steamworks * plus Digital Deluxe Edition

Discussion in 'News Updates' started by V. Soma, May 6, 2010.

1. CyberTyrant

CyberTyrant Emperor

I have no problems with Steam. I use it often.

DLC is the true evil. I won't pay for additional content that should have been in the game to begin with.

2. MqsTout

MqsTout Warlord

I'm not going to stick that dirty needle in my arm. Unlike apparently half the people around these parts, I *know* what's bad for me without trying it.

3. Raneman

Raneman Warlord

This is going to be about as successful as the Left 4 Dead 2 boycott.

4. Sterf

Sterf Warlord

And this is even more hilariously unfounded & uninformed. The way people here are repeating every false thing they hear about it endlessly and won't try it because they just know it's evil reminds me of my technophobic father.

5. Abremms

Abremms Prince

how do you know its bad? did you hear a rumor from a friend of a friend who read it on the intertubes?

steam may have had issues in the past, but like all well run services and software, they have listened to thier custumers and improved over time. all the rumor mongering and abject terror i'v read in this thread is completely unhinged from reality. steam is not the great satan, its just a service.

while i DO wish that they had been able to add steamworks as an optioninstead of being mandatory, i cannot fathom the overly emotion responces i've seen here, it makes no sense.

ps. DLC thats available at release for extra cash is indeed the devil. i don't mind that stuff thats developed later, it generaly adds flavor abd replay value. launch DLC however, is just shameless profiteering.

6. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Moderator

It is nice to see the new influx of registered accounts, especially when they grace us with Steam hagiographies.

7. xenobiotic

xenobiotic Chieftain

LOL. Nice to see people making educated decisions. Tell me, what exactly in steam is 'bad' for you? I can see the need to have steam running being moderately annoying for some people. But the only 'bad' thing I can think of is if you go to the store page on weekends and end up spending too much money because of the great deals.

8. Sciguy001

Sciguy001 CiV Great Scientist (duh)

Why is steam a "dirty needle"? As far as I know, it won't kill your computer or install viruses or anything. You don't even have to be online to use Civ V, you just have to register with steam once and download steam once. This is starting to seam not that bad of a thing....

9. Rub'Rum

Rub'Rum Hates acronyms

This would make sense if it was something more than just you speculating on what they plan for Babylon after Deluxe is out. You're just speculating with other games as example. For now, I'm sure 2K and Firaxis aren't going to clarify this point, willfully hoping that people give in and pay 10$ for the extra civ.

By the way, I love how 95% of people here refer to the deluxe edition as "10$ for Babylon" and completely ignore the soundtrack and behind-the-scene stuff. I agree with you all. We do this because this stuff is pretty much worthless to us.

The worst thing in all this is that I'm sure even the developers and people at Firaxis agree with us but can't say that and instead we get political PR damage-control thrown at us.

10. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

Because if I wanted another freakin messaging program I'd have put it on my system already.

11. ds61514

ds61514 Warlord

Doesn't the same thing apply to expansion packs?

I mean I can think of BTS as $30 for:

a) A bunch of civilizations, ALL of which could have been modded into Warlords
    b) A revamped espionage system, which isn't a fundamental gameplay addition
    c) Corporations, which are also not a fundamental gameplay addition
    e) Scenarios, which add approximately $0 to me (Rhye's? Age of Ice? Final Frontier? No thanks.)

Yet people just totally love the xpac business model and not the DLC one. Why is this?

12. kayapo

kayapo Chieftain

+1

Agreed

Even though forcing Steam on the game will probably mean it won't be available at other sites for you to purchase. Which to me is also a big no no.

If I can buy Civ5 on any other digital download site I might consider it, even if it forces me to play through steam. I think this is highly unlikely though, who whould sell a product that comes bundled with the competitor's product.

Anyway paying for cut-out content is just sad.

Is it safe to say Firaxis is following the steps of CA? Will Civ5 be a debacle like ETW?

Either way instead of pre-ordering it like I would've I have became a "let's wait at least 6 months to see what happens" buyer.

13. Rub'Rum

Rub'Rum Hates acronyms

Espionage and corporations are gameplay additions, whether you used them or not. And what the heck is a "fundamental gameplay addition" anyway. If religions, India, and bananas hadn't been part of the main game, they would have added them in an expansion, you would have called them a "non fundamental gameplay addition"? The line is blurry when it comes to what is a fundamental gameplay addition. It's much simpler to go with the logical "It's *a* gameplay addition". Gameplay additions: not for deluxe versions.

I said this earlier, but if you are ready to pay 10$ for Deluxe edition (aka Babylon), you should probably have been ready to pay 150$ for Beyond the Sword and Warlords. It's just bang/$ here. Gameplay content per dollar.

14. ds61514

ds61514 Warlord

You didn't answer my question.

How is DLC, which contains:

a) One Civ, which given influences from CivRev, will probably play quite differently compared to other Civs

b) useless fluff, in the form of soundtracks & director commentary

different from BTS, an expansion pack which contains:

a) A bunch of civs, ALL of which could have been put into Warlords and all of which play pretty much the same

b) "Useless fluff," in the form of scenarios/mods, some of which COULD BE DOWNLOADED FOR FREE.

c) Gameplay, which affects maybe 5%-10% of high level play. Also note that if the Babylon DLC actually *did* change gameplay, the outrage among some people here would be incredible.

There is great irritation at the former, but none for the latter. Why is this? What if they released an expansion pack on the very first day? Would people be pissed as well? Me, I would be happy that they brought out an xpac so soon!

15. Arakhor

They could been put into Warlords, but they weren't. Considering that they were all unique leaderheads, they could not simply have been modded in anywhere near as successfully.

16. misterkrazy

misterkrazy Chieftain

Personally, I love Steam. It's the single best option for online gaming and I hope all multiplayer-centric games in the future use it, if for no other reason than the frequent patching demonstrated with Supreme Commander 2. (minus the fact that the patches quickly became larger than the DVD -_-)

I'm not so sure about a game like Civ, though, where the focus is playing against AI.

17. Fktor

Fktor Chieftain

Wishful thinking?
    Sorry, couldn't help myself :D

18. mechaerik

mechaerik Tuturuu!

Ok, you obviously ignored this:

If they came out with an expansion on day one, I would personally be outraged.

19. Rub'Rum

Rub'Rum Hates acronyms

Yes, expansion pack on day 1 would be as dumb. I'm sad some people have come to expect so little of companies and are just there with gaping mouths and open wallets. If people were a bit critical we wouldn't be here discussing this today and we'd all have the full game without this situation.

The gameplay of Beyond the Sword and its civs are still a lot more than just the one Civ for Civ 5. Mechaerik helps me here (above this post). The huge problems are: content per dollar is really low AND arbitrarily taking ready material out and arbitrarily charging more for it has no logical explanation except money grab. Like I said, if you side with the companies on this, boy you sure are helping the fight against shameless mediocrity in the business are you :rolleyes:

Again, the price tag for Babylon is outrageous. At 2$ I'd be like "fine okay", but still be outraged that the civ is ready and not just put in the original game with the rest of the gameplay content of the game. Actually, if instead of 10$ they individually charged 3.33$ for the soundtrack, 3.33$ for the behind-the-scene, and 3.33$ for Babylon, then we would really have a "choice" I guess... And we'd see that 0,5% of people would actually pay for the useless soundtrack and behind-the-scene and the sales for Babylon would be much higher.

20. Arakhor

I completely agree. I love collectors' editions as much as the next man - the cloth map, brushed aluminium case, leather-bound full-colour manual, making of videos, soundtrack and all the rest - but you don't take completed game-play out of the game and then sell it at an exorbitant rate as a "special feature".

Maybe people should look up the meaning of the words "gullible" and "corrupt" in the dictionary.