1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ5 - shipping with Steamworks * plus Digital Deluxe Edition

Discussion in 'News Updates' started by V. Soma, May 6, 2010.

1. Drakarska

Drakarska Epic Dadness

Hmnn. Not really sure how to clear up your bafflement here. The threads for the most part are quite clear and valid, perhaps you should reread Nicks posting of lengthy questions towards Ms. 2K to better understand our concerns. While you may not consider micro-trans a concern (as is your choice to do so), those of us who are apparently "obsolete" and needing to be "phased out" most assuradly consider these questions important (as is our choice to do so).

2. duxup

duxup Prince

I didn't get a chance to experience any of those issues.

I've played numerous games on Steam with no issues. Bioshock on Steam gave me numerous issues one after another.... was that because of Steam, or the dev's poor work on the game with Steam? A problem with a game on Steam, or some error in Steam doesn't to me mean Steam is automatically the problem.

I could make a game, release it on Steam or any other such system or platform, and cause all sorts of havoc, but that doesn't mean Steam or the platform is the problem. In my case more likely is because I screwed up ;)

More to the point I own several Civ games on Steam and had no problems. I find that encouraging.

3. duxup

duxup Prince

I read the whole thread once thru but hopefully you'll forgive me for not going thru it again to pick out the quotes. I recall complaints about issues back during the HL2 release, that was quite a while ago, also some confusion regarding the ability to play in offline mode if you fire up the Steam client, and some confusion if you even need to fire up the steam client each time you play the game. Such concerns to me seems dated, under-informed or misinformed. That is not to say I think all concerns voiced in this thread are invalid.

I didn't use the words "obsolete" or "phased out", so I don't know what you're addressing in my post with that. To be clear I make no such claim about anyone here. If someone did I don't think that is very nice. I'm not here as "Steam" I am just voicing my opinion that might not be as opposed as some and sees / enjoys some possible benefits. Please don't mistake or consider that some sort of 100% support of everything Steam might do or its supporters might say.

As for micro-transactions I still see nothing to indicate those are forthcoming unless I missed an announcement. Perhaps I'm mistaken but the implication seemed to be to me that Steam and/or the digital deluxe package indicated some possible future micro transactions. As I noted before crappy deluxe packages are par for the course (even with Civ games) but don't necessary follow that micro transactions come along with that. Steam also as far as I've seen (could be mistaken as there is a lot going on there) is fairly micro-transaction free. Personally I detest most micro-transaction systems I've seen.

4. 2K Elizabeth

2K Elizabeth <span style="font-weight:bold; text-decoration: un

Right now the only extra edition I have info about is the Digital Deluxe. If that changes, you'll hear it here as quickly as I can log on.

5. Periander

Periander Chieftain

I've got my copy pre-ordered on Steam. :)

6. Rebel44

Rebel44 Warlord

Problem with ETW was that game was released with zillion bugs (I bought it at release so I should know :) ) which is not fault of Valve/Steam. Publisher and developer are responsible for releasing game without gamebreaking bugs.

7. Tasunke

Tasunke Crazy Horse

Yar, empire fail had nothing to do with Steam or Steamworks ... any corrolation between a Corporation becoming large/lazy enough to produce a crappy game and going steamworks exlusive are completely unfoundable. There is no evidence to support that only large/lazy corporations go steamworks.

Besides ... Valve is a clear exception (creator or Steam Steamworks) in that they know how to make 1st person shooters very well.

8. epsylon

epsylon Chieftain

I prefer playing Civ IV against the computer , and maybe i'm not alone on this forum with my opinion.

9. Aesir Rising

Aesir Rising Chieftain

Thank you for the response. I would like to be able to plan for and make the purchase for the version most appropriate for me, which typically is the WE (Whole Enchilada) version. But I get stymied when there are multiple and different vendor-exclusive deals, which has happened to me with recent purchases. I do hope that if there are multiple sources of the WE version of Civ V, that the content across vendors remains the same.

10. arstal

arstal Say No 2 Net Validations

You're nowhere near alone. Probably at least 90% of the players of Civ don't touch MP.

Stardock says only 4% of Sins players played MP, and that figure held true in a poll for GCII. Stardock thought about adding MP to Twilight- but given how few wanted it, decided to make other enhancements instead.

11. Aesir Rising

Aesir Rising Chieftain

On a tangent, those numbers are generally true across many game genre. Even Blizzard had a post re: WoW - the largest MMO game in the US (at least) indicating that their player base spent approximately 80% of their time solo, not grouped up. CCP had a similar post from a few years ago (when I played Eve Online) but I don't recall the specific number. While Eve doesn't have as large a player base as WoW, it still is considered both successful and actively growing after all these years, and its gameplay rewards grouping up moreso than many other MMOs, including WoW. Yet the majority play it solo, or spend most of their time solo.

I've never played Civ games MP. Well, maybe I tried it once or twice. I get steam-rolled.

12. Eejit

Eejit Chieftain

A somewhat relevant interview with Gabe Newell about Steam and Valve here.

As for multiplayer cIV I'd play more if getting into MP games was easier.

13. duxup

duxup Prince

Great interview. Thanks for the link.

14. moopoo

moopoo King

... So i Can't get a physical copy and behind the scenes. that sucks :(

15. Grouchey

Grouchey Chieftain

Huge CIV fan and single player since 2007; long time lurker here, mostly for strategy and tips.

I was definitely going to pre-order CIV V, until I heard about the Digital Deluxe Edition. It certainly has punctured a hole in my enthusiasm and I now won't pre-order this game.

I have nothing against Steam per se, but when the DDE of CIV V was announced, it reminded me that Steam has become the platform bar none to sell the dribs and drabs of DLC. I am assuming with Steam, CIV V will offer DLC post release.

Many will argue in favor of DLC, claiming that it is simply a buy/don't buy bonus choice to get "cool stuff" or whatever...I cannot agree, based on experience. Paid DLC and Deluxe editions create multiple classes of game owners thereby making the game less fun to enjoy as a community. DLC complicates modding considerably. DLC that introduces new units, features, and capabilities can crash your game if you play with mods.

What I fear is expense and hassle of DLC, being constantly prodded by Steam to buy it, and it's impact when I use mods. Note here that I am not for the moment expressing concern that moving to Steam/DLC will lead to the game becoming less accessible for modders, but to be sure this has happened with other games and other game developers.

What has punctured my enthusiasm is the idea that the CIV experience, now orchestrated through Steam, will become more of a micro transaction marketplace -- rather than a world I can go to get away from people selling me crap all the time. We won't all have the same game to play and talk about here -- and I guarantee we'll be arguing endlessly about whether we should buy DLC, etc.

To my mind, CIV has always stood apart from that, and has always had a "game for games sake" feel about it. I hope I'm wrong, but it appears this period is coming to a close.

16. Carl5872

Carl5872 Prince

I was poking around wikipedia and saw that the only way you can get Babylon as a civ for CIV 5 is by getting a the Digital Deluxe Edition. Im assuming you have to pay to download the game from Steam.

Can someone please explain how this works and what Steam is? Assume I live under a rock, as I have never heard of it before.

Are there monthly fees for it?
    Could I play when not connected to the internet?
    What If I buy a new computer?

17. Drakarska

Drakarska Epic Dadness

@ Carl5872.

I recommend you reread this thread, and then look at the civ v discussions thread. should help a lot w/your questions.

18. mattcrwi

mattcrwi Warlord

1)No. It is always free.
    2)First time you play activation via the internet is required. You can play offline forever after that but steam program will still run in offline mode.
    3)Steam allows infinte downloads. You can install on a million computers but only one can be logged in and play the game at a time.

19. epsylon

epsylon Chieftain

20. myturn

myturn Chieftain